Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

But I am not on your lawn

swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

BTW I hear all the time about "kids these days" etc

How Millennial's are just **** (They arent) and kids are spoiled these days

It reminds me that his happens literally every generation. Elvis shaking his hips was supposed to be the death of us all. Ladies showing their ankles in the 20's was going to lead to the downfall of society. Its all a bunch of nonsense.

Just happened to catch an episode of Andy Griffith the other day. At the beginning they were complaining about how Opie's generation is spoiled and want everything handed to them. Literally word for word what you hear to describe millennial's or younger people in general today.

Every generation thinks the one after them is ruining everything they worked for. That they are terrible

But it just isn't so.

BTW I am 45 and far from a millennial. I am just smart enough to spot BS when I see it.

Comments

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Warning to all, personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please keep it civil

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cool story, brah. And it's going to be hard for you to convince me, because I see that entitlement generation every day at work. They want promotions and awards before they even complete their probationary period, they don't want to put in the work for it, and if they don't get it, they puff up and pout like 5-year-olds. When you try to train them the right way, they already know everything. So...I just let them self-destruct. They usually do. Those that don't are the ones that finally realize what the world is all about and grow up.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2019

Is it just your goal to try to rub as many people the wrong way as possible.

No. Its my goal to educate as much as possible. If that rubs some the wrong way because of their wrong headed beliefs then so be it.

And it's going to be hard for you to convince me, because I see that entitlement generation every day at work. 

Trust me your parents were saying the same thing about you. And their parents said the same thing about them. Starting to see a pattern?

Lets see if the light bulb goes on this time?

BTW is there anything better than The Andy Griffith show.

I still catch an episode from time to time. Its amazing how many lessons can be learned right there in Mayberry.

I love the show. Id imagine many here do as well. Especially certain classic episodes.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kids today are so well behaved

NOT

edited July 2019

Nah, my parents weren't saying the same about me, brah. I learned about hard work and the value of a good job by being brought up on a farm. By the time I was 18, all I could think about was getting off that farm, bettering myself, and getting away from back-breaking labor. And if I didn't learn the above things and learn about respect and humility, I learned better at the end of my daddy's belt...or at the end of a willow switch that my momma made me go get to beat my own a$$ with.

Kids today are no different than kids ever were.

Sorry. That is just a fact.

We tend to only remember the good from the past and forget the bad. Its a normal human thing but that doesn't make it true.

Just look at the Socrates quote from above. This isn't that hard to figure out.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting UnderDog68,

My dad used a braided length of nylon parachute cord from his time flying in WW2. A bit thicker than a switch I'd guess but I didn't need many repeat lessons with that particular tool

edited July 2019

Nah, my parents weren't saying the same about me, brah.

Yeah they did brah. You just dont remember or they had the good sense to do it when you couldn't hear.

But trust me, they most certainly did. Brah

edited July 2019

Well. You can show people the light but it doesn't mean they will take it.

Literally a quote was produced from Socrates ( I am assuming its correct ) thousands of years ago saying the same things about kids back then that you hear today.

And folks will still tell you with a straight face that no, its somehow different than its ever been these days.

You cant fix.....

Pretty unreal.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My bad @swilkerson73 . Don't agree much with what you say but you have that right without personal attacks by me. My bad and I apologize.

I wasn't aware that you knew my parents. And your opinion doesn't matter to me because, as I stated, I see this behavior every day. When I started this job, I had the good sense to learn from the old guys.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i guarantee you can’t do anything to kids today in school. Just left a conversation with a coach that told me what I thought about kids today. He said he gets cussed out daily and not a thing they can do about it. It’s definitely different today.

No biggie. Its an online forum.

Trust me ive been called worse.