Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Greene hasn't been a very good pitcher before this year other than 2017 when his ERA was 2.66. He had a 5.12 ERA in 2018. His career numbers are 4.54 ERA 1.345 whip and 2.58 so/w ratio. My hope was we'd land Felipe Vasquez from The Pirates. He's much younger and under control for another 4 years. His career numbers are 2.69 ERA, 1.095 WHIP and 3.85 SO/W ratio. Anybody can look back through this thread and see my concerns. I was still happy we got Greene though, I never expected him to struggle the rest of the year, though common sense told me he likely wasn't going to be great for long.

Given his career struggles now I'm in a wait and hope mode. I'm apprehensive though.

• Options
  • Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

In 2016 Greene was as unlucky as he was lucky this year. He had a 5.82 ERA, but a 3.13 FIP/3.95 xFIP.

Or are we really going to do this again where I have to talk about how good luck and bad luck and how advanced analytics are actually a legit thing and you can't just use your eye test and look at the cold stats?

Edit: In fact, I'll go ahead and just call it. I'm not interested in arguing it. You can keep looking at the cold stats on him while several other younger people are open to looking at more.

Vazquez also really wasn't available either. It would've taken Waters minimum, which we weren't doing.

• Options
    edited August 2019

The WHIP combined with ERA pretty much tells the story on Greene to me. Greene hasn't been just unlucky most of his career. I don't know how your view of his performance today will look by your measures. Maybe throwing 12 out of 13 pitches for strikes will look like a plus. What I saw was catching too much of the plate with low velocity and little movement. That will usually get you chased from a game.

I know Vasquez wasn't available, but at the time nobody who reports on those things knew what Pirates' management was going to do. In a perfect world with owners who would spend to win we'd have Grienke , then having a top closer would be a bit less important.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hadn’t seen Greene pitch much, if any, before yesterday’s game. From his two Braves appearances it seems like he doesn’t have good enough stuff to miss his spots. Had bad breaks in yesterday’s game, but his pitches today were getting way too much of the plate. Personally, I would prefer a closer with better strikeout potential, but anyone who can get the job done is fine with me.

• Options

Exactly, he just left too many pitches hanging and he doesn't have the stuff to blow them by hitters. Heck if Maddux had left pitches waist high and middle of the plate he would have been smacked around too. Though Mad Dog did have better movement on his pitches.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its as if were cursed. Hehad a 1.18 era prior to coming over and I believe that puts it at over 9 with us. Hopefully he can put it behind him. We need a closer.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The good thing about the quantity over quality approach is we now have 4 guys that are good right handed bullpen arms (including Jackson). I really wish we wouldn’t have a “closer” and just do things by committee though. Maybe there is something to the mentality of closing games, but I feel like any high leverage reliever worth his salt should be able to do it.

Also @WCDawg maybe his ball doesn’t appear to move much, but cutters are subtle. Late sharp movement on pitches does more for you than a more drawn out movement would. That’s what most hitters said made Rivera so tough, they knew it was coming but it moved so late and sudden.

Not prepared to argue for or against Greene’s cutter specifically, but just want to get the point across that the eye test doesn’t tell you how hard things are to hit.

• Options
    edited August 2019

I prefer a ''closer'', as long as you have a really good one. If Greene can get back to where he has been all season before the trade it's a no brainer to trot him out as long as he isn't overworked. If he for some reason melts down you roll with the punches and use your best option on a given night. The fact is Jackson blew 8 saves and his percentage is just about 68%, that is not good enough. Of course new guy is at 0% so far for us, which is by my math even worse.

Also I'm familiar with cutters, Greene's wasn't cutting it today.

• Options

Try an ERA of 18 so far with The Braves. He's getting close to doubling his season ERA already.

• Options

Great pun lol. I too am skeptical of Greene, but also want to point out he isn’t like for sure better than either of the other 2 guys we got at the deadline. One of melancon and the guy from Dallas (who I’m forgetting the name of) could be better. I think the reason you see him closing is snit just decided to put him there. He could easily change his mind.

• Options

Obviously Greene had been having a very good season as a closer, I'm not sure either of the other guys have anything like that on their resume. He was signed to close. That doesn't mean Snitker is bound to keep him in that role if he doesn't perform though.

• Options
    edited August 2019

We have a superb matchup today at Minn. The Twins have the most HRs in MLB. Mike Soroka is starting for us, he has the lowest HRs allowed rate in MLB at just 0.5 per 9 innings.

Mike is 6-0 with a 1.20 ERA on the road. The Twins are starting Jake Odorizzi, he's 6-1 at home but his home ERA is 3.73.

Minn has 4 right handed batters starting, 1 switch hitter and 2 lefties. I don't know who will start in CF, the usual starter on the DL. Mike is death for right handers, they are hitting just .198 with a .523 OPS and only 2 HRs for the season. The 2 lefties and their switch hitter have crushed right handed pitching though. Nelson Cruz, Eddie Rosario and Jorge Polanco are among the best power hitters in the game and all have high HR totals against righties.

I wouldn't miss this one. It's televised on one of the ESPN channels.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kimbrel sent to the IL.

He has been pretty bad for the Cubs.

AA made the right call not going after him.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gausman designated for assignment and claimed by Reds. Folty called up and starting Tuesday night’s game.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah saw that too. Folty was always gonna get another shot and with Gausman struggling it was sooner than later.

Hopefully he comes back with a better attitude and pitches like he has shown in the past.

• Options

I almost forgot. Soroka turned 22 yesterday. A belated happy birthday to Mike.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fingers crossed. Not sure what the deal was with Gaussman. He had a couple of very strong starts and more than a couple of bombs. I hope O'Day turns out to be ok eventually. Got to get something out of that trade.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Very surprised we didn’t try gausman out of the pen where his stuff could potentially play up. We got 3 relievers and gave up assets for production that I don’t think you have to squint too hard to see gausman providing.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Donaldson just pulled about the most disrespectful thing I've ever seen, and it was awesome. Walking to first before the pitch even gets to the plate.

This discussion has been closed.