Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    Muxi122Muxi122 Posts: 23 ✭✭✭ Junior

Honestly. I think I would be just fine with just one TE with Washington and let the rest play out with that mock.

• Options
    PeepDawgPeepDawg Posts: 17 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited August 2019

@SoFL_Dawg Jalen Carter has been showin a little bit of love to Bama and the barn a couple of Instagram stories. Is he all Dawg still and just having fun or is there any substance to this?

• Options
    rguy12rguy12 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe Arik is a must have from watching his tape in highschool and at the opening he’s just different. Faster then linebackers and more wiggle then people give him credit. I’d have to find a spot on the field for him if I were a coach. No matter what he wants to play. He’s the tightend that will go vertical over bama and outrun dbs. Washington is the bigger sit catch and get 15 yards. Also if you get upset with a highschool kid wanting to play a certain position that he would excel at you need to rethink your priorities. He’s 18 let him try it out then if it doesn’t work move him to tightend. He would be an elite player at both positions.

• Options
    brogdawgbrogdawg Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm not questioning what's best for him, I'm just asking why does it bother that he won't listen to what's being told to him from "our" staff. IF UTjr tells him he can play WR, I highly doubt they would say that without a basis however do we truly believe they said he is a WR or that they would like to motion him into a receiver set / split him out wide and we have exaggerated that to him being sold as a WR. These are professionals at the end of the day and they will not get far if proven otherwise. My best guess from our staff and any other staff is he's being sold on being a Travis Kelce type who puts their hand in the dirt but acts like a WR who was Top 10 in receiving yards in 2018.

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg I’d take off a TE or only take 3 WRs

• Options
    brogdawgbrogdawg Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agreed! These coaches are smart enough they would camp him at WR (if he feels strongly about it) and at that point let him figure out if he would really fit as a TE or WR based on results (which most would agree is TE). Easiest way for what you all want him to learn. If he's entertaining the idea of WR like what's either been exaggerated or truly told then he must have some kind of basis of why HE or his camp thinks it's a possibility. I'm not disputing your opinions just offering an alternative view to what "could" be happening vs us just believing he wants to be a straight up WR without his camp putting any thought to it.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow...he just doesn’t GAS about his transcripts or whatever getting flagged I guess.

• Options
    TMDawg7TMDawg7 Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The thing with Arik is he wants to catch the ball and make plays. I don’t think he’s sold on being an actual TE even if it’s split out. I don’t think he likes the idea of blocking. So what happens when you take him he tries WR doesn’t get the results and doesn’t see the field but doesn’t want to move to TE? To me this recruitment has portal written all over it if he indeed comes to UGA. If we had the clout Bama or Clemson does I think we could make him see the light but we’re not there yet. I mean he runs a 4.8 who thinks he’s going to be able to get separation on SEC DBs?

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama and Clemson dont have "that clout" either. Saban may do whatever to get a kid there but he usually allows them to choose their path to the playing field. And Dabo has always allowed the same. He has a lot of history of scouting guys and allowing them to work up. If he thinks hes a WR instead of a Flex TE then allow it. It may be elsewhere but I doubt Kirby would lie to get him in the class.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OT but where do you get your info on snaps? I've been looking everywhere for somewhere that tracks snaps

• Options

Umm they’re the last 4 national champions and Saban is the goat they absolutely have the clout to say to him “your best position is TE, if you want to play on Sunday and win a championship here it is”. Where did I say anything about lying to him? I actually think Clemson would be the best place for him but he still won’t play receiver he’d be a flex TE there too. The more I read and hear the more I think it would work out better for him and UGA if he went elsewhere but that’s just my opinion.

• Options

I agree I don’t think he’s going to see what he wants out of our offense and that’ll be the proverbial straw.

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are you sure Tennessee wouldn't do that? Because they already did that with a guy we were after 2 years ago. Kid was told he'd be a WR, Pruitt stuck him at safety...

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are past the days of trying to figure out where a kid needs to be. We are looking for specific tools and want those tools in specific areas. Gilbert would and should be making big money on defense, he wantes to be a WR. He doesn't have the break away speed for WR and was told by us he'd be used as a Flex, he is still flirting with other schools. It is disingenuous for our staff to lie and say he can be somewhere he really can't. This is why we shouldn't just except him in and let the cards fall. He'd be portal bound before the season started.

This discussion has been closed.