Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

BA is Mistaken That Paying Players is Good Policy

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Baseball has a minor league system though. Football does not. Part of the argument some in favor of paying players are making is that there is no good alternative for football. The NFL won't take em so they have to play college football. That's hardly college football's fault, but since it's massively successful it has a massive target on it. So in essence, college football should be forced into serving the minor league role according to some.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The NCAA's time may be past due. Schools can come up with their own organization and their own rules with, hopefully. a lot less hypocrisy than the current group of administrators and their outdated amateur model.

• bnadawgbnadawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Truth, You are correct there is no reward for players by playing college football except love of the game and NFL exposure. That is assuming they have no interest in getting a free degree. The degree it is the number one asset for most of us to obtain a much higher income over our lifetime. For most higher paying jobs its the minimum entry level requirement. With the NFL being a huge long shot for 99% of college players why would anyone not in the 1% want to waste time in college assuming they are not interested in a free degree. They could be out there working and earning money and not getting injured.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby's collarbone, neck, back acl or mcl have already been risked. He has worked his way up the ladder to where he is today. And he did it without getting paid and now he's being rewarded for the hard work. I have no idea how this paying players is going to work. There are always unintended consequences and I can't wrap my mind about what all they will be.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The NF L makes plenty of money. Let them fund a minor league or developmental league or whatever. Of course, that might ruin the college game we love so much.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bnadawg New York proposing 50% of their colleges' revenue gets paid to the athletes.

That's pretty funny. New York, a bastion of elite football programs. In division1, they have three FBS programs: Army, Buffalo, and mighty Syracuse who lost to Md 63-20. And Md lost to Penn State 59-0.

And ten programs (in Div 1) don't even have a football program. 50% of nothing equals nothing.

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think this entire concept is crazy.

They are not employees. they are students.

Do students get paid for doing well on tests, or in their fields, then after college and boosting the schools stats on success? We have the best vet school int he country...why because the students kick butt at research. How about performances from music students? costs money to attend a choir or orchestra performance...do they pay the students for their hard work practice and shows? nope they dont.

A scholarship in football is free education, free housing, free transportation, free food, the best healthcare in the country (I can promise you, that most of you could not afford the health care these players get), free dietitians and trainers, training, equipment, gym membership, tutoring, etc. Just because education isn't what it used to be, they are still getting a completely silver plattered education experience for their efforts.

Also...which players will actually benefit from this? (has anyone thought of this?). Some of you act like this will benefit little timmy with a poor family on the practice squad. The only players that will earn any significant income from their likeness are...wait for it...the ones who will most likely get drafted and play in the NFL. So we are arguing to allow them to get paid 3 years before they get paid big bucks...its ridiculous.

I can guarantee the players, not going pro, won't be the ones making money off of likeness.

What will this do to the locker room dynamics and already big headed peacocks around college football?... hmm

Brings us back to an even distribution of income to all the players.... so they're employees now? W2's and filling taxes? And star studded peacock goes around every payday saying "you owe me chumps" around the locker room... haha

IDK guys, I just don't like this can of worms. I can see a player caught in a lawsuit over copyright because ESPN used a photo of them for some random article without their permission or something similar...etc etc.

Whats the harm in making them wait 3 years to go pro?

Leave my college football alone.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RedDawg, I do not know if it will be good or bad. Because you brought it up If you are at Georgia on a music scholarship. Georgia does not pay you but You can be a part of a band and get paid for playing the same for art or acting. It is the same for English if you write a book it is yours to copyright. Only the real good musicians, artist actors and writers will be successful. If you are doing research in any field and come up with a new patent you will get part of the royalties. It is my understanding that the new law will allow say Fromm to do a add for his dads insurance agency and get paid for it. While I am somewhat worried about abuse and readily admit the chance for abuse. The Georgia football program makes millions of dollars a year over expenses and if a small portion went to football players,especially all the non NFL prospects it would not bother me.

In my mind the real abuse is all the players that do not receive a education or a degree and are just dumped on the street when their eligibility is up. If I could make a change it would be that your scholarship is good until you receive a degree.

• LostDawg0617LostDawg0617 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

My problem with it is this. Recruiting for small market schools will suffer. Big name recruits that have a chance of actually making money on the side will go to schools that are popular and in large markets. They'll make more money that way and thats what it will be all about. It won't hurt Georgia, but teams like Iowa, Kansas St... Etc have no shot.

• bnadawgbnadawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited October 2019

oldon42, I like your thoughts about keeping an academic scholarship in effect until a former player gets his degree. Of course, progress would need to be made toward the degree . Possibly there could be a time limit, say 2 years. Nothing currently prevents a player from writing a book (Malcolm Mitchell), painting, or inventing something and being paid like other students. Schools paying students is currently regulated by the NCAA. Maybe that stipend should be increased significantly for all players. However, that might force less affluent schools toward a decision to drop football altogether or move to Division III.

I am not sure you are right. The small market teams do not have the competition from pro teams that the large market teams have. A player from Georgia is competing for jobs with the various professional teams in Georgia. Who is a player from Iowa competing with. There maybe a better chance to sell your college jersey in Iowa or Nebraska than in Georgia, Washington or Ohio.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2019

Grad students do get paid, I’m sure if you are doing research you get compensated.

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I nowhere there are certain instances such as grad students and certainly research projects, etc etc. I’m just pointing out that there are “school” achievements which bring grants and funding, and ticket sales (arts, acting, music, not extracurricular, required course credit participation) in which students do not get compensated directly.

Sports shouldn’t be seen any different just because it makes more money.

Again, the only players that will benefit from This are the players already destined for Sunday’s paycheck. So who are we even helping here?

RedDawg, Unless I misunderstand the law it is only about indirect compensation. Some player gets a job signing autographs or sells his jersey. Or is in a add for one of the local business. Just like if they were in the arts, music or any other part of the college.

Were you say "the only players that will benefit from This are the players already destined for Sunday’s paycheck" I really disagree with you. I think you are looking at it from the SEC point of view. You can be a real good player for the Wyoming Cowboys, North Dakota or the Montana Grizzlies and not get a chance at the NFL. You would still be big news in you local area. Even at a place like Georgia their are some very popular players who have almost a zero chance at the NFL Netori Johnson and Nate McBride come to mind.

• TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Money is ruining Pro sports. NFL viewership is down and football fans are flocking to college. What do you think it will do to college sports. I think this is a deliberate attempt to bust up the last masculine strong hold on this society and destroy the pipeline to the NFL. They tried to frighten players and their mothers with concussion scare but football adjusted with concussion protocol, targeting penalties, and safer helmets. There is no path to the Pro's but through college. There they gain the size and speed needed to compete at the next level. Maybe the NFL can double their rosters for a JV squad. Players getting paid for their likeness!!! Can you imagine the environment that would create on a team. Half the Pro's don't know how to handle money. What do you think a 18 year old would be doing. Simple solution supply all their needs guaranteed access to education up to doctorate, food , clothing , transportation, healthcare, and spending money.

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2019

8 of the top 10, 19 of the top 25, and 40 of the top 50 watched sports events last year were NFL games. NFL is more national NCAA is more regional. I'd say in spite of all the sky is falling crowd on viewership numbers the nfl is just fine and players getting paid for their performance is ok.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/01/top-sports-audiences-2018-list/

• WtkWtk Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Nike can pay them anybody can pay them. Meaning big boosters will have a field day.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not the quickest at guessing these things, who is BA ? As far as the discussion. A law dictating how revenue is distributed would be almost as anti free market as what we have now. Strike down the collusive and monopolistic system we have now and decide the rest through collective bargaining between whoever ends up representing ownership and whoever ends up representing labor.