Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Movie “Midway”

2»

Comments

• Options
    JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,563 admin

Anyone seen this yet? Am hoping it is less "Pearl Harbor" than I get the feeling it might be.

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pearl Harbor was the worst piece of cinematic garbage to ever grace the big screen....maybe tied w Armageddon.

I love good war movies & war history but the trailers for this look more like the next Star Wars. The last legit war movie I saw was Fury. Even though it starred the Bradiator, the supporting cast, story line & raw brutality made the top 10 in war movies for me.

I think I'll wait for this one to come out on HBO & save my actual trip to a theater for the next (last) Star Wars this Christmas.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I cheered when Josh Hartnett got shot at the end of Pearl Harbor

• Options

I cheered when Ben got his gf stolen then again when Josh got shot and yet again when the movie ended

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kate Beckinsale

Beginning and end of all the good things in Pearl Harbor. (And I don't mean her acting)

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw it. I enjoyed it for what it was, a Hollywood version of the war/battle. I wasn't, and still am not, familiar with the main actors/actresses (other than Dennis Quaid and **** H.), which is a plus. They didn't annoy me. I would say it is more like Unbreakable than Pearl Harbor in terms of the feel of the movie. Although it has been years since I've seen either.

I'm not a history buff so I don't know how it compares to historical "facts". I'm generally not overly critical of movies other than being easily annoyed by certain actors/actresses and overacting in general. So take the above for what it's worth.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The father of a buddy at UGA was a Pilot of a B-17 in WWII. He let me wear hid father's flight jacket on campus. He had a scrap book documenting each flight. Lots of flack. Said they use to wash tailgunner's remains out with a fire hose.

Shot down over France and helped by the Underground. Picture of the crew in front of their bird. Looked like kids.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FirePlugDawg I never paid attention much to 'What ifs' in history. Figure history is fascinating enough and plenty of it that I do not know. But your speculation was interesting.

What if LBJ never escalated Vietnam War? Was that part of our containment that slowed Red growth until the USSR broke up?

Would that have slowed USA change in culture (counterculture then).

Would the Great Society expanded Federal Government how much faster (because the war brought down LBJ) but Govt. growth continued.

How would a lack of war to protest affected rock N roll?

• Options
    KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

They were kids.....the greatest generation. Could you Imagine millennial’s these days being shipped off to war?? Therapy squirrels & selfies right before their heads are blown off

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is a good one, too. On a personal basis, my life would have been changed greatly. Nixon wouldn't have been president, at least as early as he did.

As to the "Japan doesn't make war with the US" What If, I have never seen this, although one might exist. Other implications are that there would be no US involvement in Korea or Vietnam - no reason to believe these would occur. It is unlikely that Japan would have had a self-assessment that led to its industries adopting (American) quality improvement measures, and therefore, we'd likely be driving bulky, crappy cars still. India and Burma would likely have had a violent break with Britain. China would now be a backwater nation. Japan would be an active adversary to US activity in all of eastern and south Asia and the Pacific area generally. The USSR might still be an entity. The UK and Australia would have been affected in unknown ways, but certainly wouldn't be what they are today. Israel would likely not exist - which might be the purpose of WW2 in the big picture sense.

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

Saw Midway tonight. Good flick, better than expected. Can't put it up with SPR tho. Casting didn't help. The whole time I'm thinking, hey Deadpool! There's Francis! Then I was waiting for the other guy to start singing about nacho fries.

Oh, and the second most talented Jonas brother.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is very cool. And good of you to remember him here for us.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Funny, I didn't even know a Jonas brother was in the movie. Also, I didn't recognize any of the younger actors. I'm so out of touch with pop culture it is laughable.