Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is anyone else receiving an unusually high amount of Iphone spam ads on this site?

ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited November 2017 in Off Topic

At least I believe that these ads target IOS platforms.

The typical add starts with “Congratulations” . . . and there is a promise of a gift card or discount.

I have called Apple and they assure me it’s not malware.

Sadly, the forum is becoming unreadable without a 3rd party ad filter (norton safari ad blocker). Great app but it really drains the battery.

I have taken all the preventative steps like deleting cookies and web data and have had little success.

The ads primarily pop up on dawgnation (forum as well) and 247 sports.

I am also very limited in my browsing. I don’t hit up sketchy sites.

Am I alone here?

If so, a factory reset may be upcoming.

Comments

• chattdawgchattdawg Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Happens to me all the time on here and on CoachT which is another message board for TN high school football.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes! Facebook “freebies” on my cellphone. Thought it was my phone.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:
    Yes! Facebook “freebies” on my cellphone. Thought it was my phone.

It’s only been the last 4-5 days though.

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Reeldawg I was getting ready to post the same question!! This week I have been inundated with this junk. Same as you - not on sketchy sites, cleared cache and cookies, etc. and nothing works. Seems these only come up on 247 and the Dawgnation forum. I checked with an IT guy at work and he said it seems to be the site, not my phone or malware on the phone. Tested on another phone that never visits Dawgnation forum, and got the same popups within first minute. Updated to IOS 11.1 update that came out this week, still same problem.
    Screenshots below for the mods (When you click close on the first one, it takes you to the fake facebook screen in the second shot)...please check it out! @DawgNationDaily @Kelli_Grizzard @SavageDawg17 Thanks!

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My best guess is there is nothing wrong with your phones. I think these ads are being served by Dawgnation (or more likely the AJC). They’re such bottom feeding type ads that they are likely coming in from a network buy or some low-end programmatic pipeline.

@dawghouse said:
    My best guess is there is nothing wrong with your phones. I think these ads are being served by Dawgnation (or more likely the AJC). They’re such bottom feeding type ads that they are likely coming in from a network buy or some low-end programmatic pipeline.

If so, it sounds like it can be fixed! But if it is not, it will keep me from reading the forum. Love the content, dont' mind ads to pay for it, but this stuff is beyond annoying!!
    Doesn't happen on full browser on laptop, just on phone.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    I've been getting these as well, a lot more this week. It is starting to push me away from checking a couple times a day. Needs to be fixed or people may look elsewhere

^^^^This times 1,000!!

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2017

Has been happening to me too! I don’t want to sound ungrateful for this site ( I LOVE it) but If it doesn’t stop I will stop visiting because it forces you away from the site every few minutes.

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just had this several times this morning. And I’ve only seen these pop up on DawgNation and 247 as well.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Same for me. Can we get an app or something?

@Kasey said:

Technically, the forum is in the dawgnation app, but the forum has never worked for me in the app. Once I hit a thread, there is no “back” button...you’re just stuck.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@insertusernamehere said:

@Kasey said:

Technically, the forum is in the dawgnation app, but the forum has never worked for me in the app. Once I hit a thread, there is no “back” button...you’re just stuck.

This summer the app got really wonky anyway. Was wondering if it got fixed

• dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@insertusernamehere said:

@dawghouse said:

If so, it sounds like it can be fixed! But if it is not, it will keep me from reading the forum. Love the content, dont' mind ads to pay for it, but this stuff is beyond annoying!!
    Doesn't happen on full browser on laptop, just on phone.

Only guessing here that it’s ads being served by Dawgnation or its parent. If that’s correct, the solution is as simple as a couple of clicks from someone on the AJC’s ad ops team to shut that campaign down.

• HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:
    So does this mean my wife isn’t getting a new iPad or $1,000 gift card to Walmart for Christmas?!?! Darn it... have to go buy he r something then.

You can buy my old iPad. Technically, that'd be a new iPad for her.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I picked up Norton Ad Blocker. It’s free and it works.

The only issue is that it does drain the battery faster than usual. It’s easy; however, to turn on and off.

I only have a a few minutes at most on the forum without it.

As someone pointed out, it is a recent issue for me with the exception of 247 sports.

Bittersweet, I am glad I am not alone but hate that others have the same problem.

• HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've gone to reading the pages in the "Private" mode. So far it seems to be working.