Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only reports I have seen is that by the time this is all done, infection rates could be as high as 56% of California and that was said by our governor. That is not 40-80% of people who are going to get tested having it. That is not 40-80% of people today have it, that high number is how much of our population could get it in 2020 if we do not contain it. Let's not conflate numbers. If 7% of folks who are going to get tested have it, that is a great number and our collective hope is that this number goes down rather than up. I think the info out there is that generally this is not fatal, but it has awful symptoms for the most part and it is fairly easy to transmit.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Instead, you get a handful of very stubborn folks who dig their heels in and search for any scrap of evidence that gives their opinion any merit.

I don't know why global pandemic is partisan to some people. I have no background or knowledge to dispute the findings of disease experts; they've devoted their lives to studying these things and I would rather heed their warnings than play it off. I was told a couple weeks ago that I should just self-quarantine myself if I wanted to live in fear, but I was only following the advice of those infinitely more qualified to speak on these matters than I am.

Agree with all of what you said about learning new perspectives. I came from a very conservative family, but my wife leans towards the other side of the political spectrum. I'm a much different person than I was 7-8 years ago, but I think I'm better for it.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CaliforniaDawg My family and I are still alive and kicking down here in San Diego. I suppose we are in for quite a long haul as it relates to the news of the last few weeks/months in the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic. Many blessings to any, and all who read these words in this post, because that means you are still here!!! <-- that was one of my late father's greatest jokes about his own mortality. He would often say, "the best part about getting old?, is that you are still here!" GO DAWGS!!!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good stuff. We should be able to respectfully disagree with each other. Right now we are literally in uncharted waters. Even experts disagree on how this is likely to play out. We need to be careful of using single source examples as the "truth". Being an epidemiologist doesn't necessarily make someone THE expert on the current situation. THere are experts saying this will pass with minor disruptions...and we have experts claiming this is going to be absolutely catastrophic. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. With so many 24/7 news sources all competing to break the next big story, it is very hard to tell who is being rational and thoughtful and who is being sensationalist. I have noticed that over the last week or so this forum has calmed down quite a bit and there is a lot less nastiness.

• Huntindawg81Huntindawg81 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, Charlotte shut down, but I'm considered essential. Yay me. Traffic has been great though so I get an extra 15 mins of sleep, woohoo.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't want to fringe on anyone's right to choose a certain behavior...especially if it doesn't harm those around you.

But one of my dearest friends is head of Acute care and surgery at one of the 3 major trauma centers in Dallas.

Talking last night..... all the young people that are choosing to vape right now ....it's almost equivalent to a death sentence.

I'm sure that's an exaggeration. ... but it's probably wise to at least review the choice of vaping and decide if it's really worth it.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for all of these updates and info-sharing, @CaliforniaDawg - hoping you and your family continue to stay healthy!

Personally speaking, I also don't understand how sharing facts or testimony from a SME (subject matter expert) can inherently be political. As the adage goes "all feedback is good, some is useful"...I may ultimately not accept everything an expert states as irrefutable but rarely is there not at least one or two key nuggets of info that I can learn to add to a broader collection of knowledge or insights that I've amassed previously on a topic.

I absolutely think that the isolation measures put in place by states and cities/towns has likely helped to flatten the curve and also understand that while the United States is one country, spread of COVID here isn't monolithic (ie - NYC is experiencing case/death growth at a faster rate vs other parts of the country so far, akin to Italy feeling the impact sooner than Spain, other EU countries, etc.)

While I unfortunately believe there will be many more cases/deaths due to COVID in the coming weeks and months in the US, it is worth noting that per the most recent John Hopkins data reported this AM, there have been 1,050 deaths in the US thus far (first COVID-attributed death in Washington state on March 5th). Yes- the curve on that number is still on a steep uptake, but for reference, the daily average at this early stage is 50 US deaths per day. Comparing to the 64,000 flu-related deaths in 2018-2019 (average of 175 deaths per day), a net average of 50 US deaths per day would equal 18,250 over 365 days (18,300 if you want to consider the leap year).

I am NOT predicting that we'll only lose 18,300 American lives to COVID in the coming year...just providing some context that even a tripling of the current average daily death rate experienced through the first few weeks of this pandemic would still not surpass the total US death rate of the regular flu two seasons ago.

My family will continue to isolate as much as possible for the next few weeks to do our part, but I'm increasingly sensitive to the tradeoff between continuous social distancing as a society to slow the spread of the virus over the very real impact to the economy and peoples' ability to pay bills, rent, feed themselves and their families, etc.

What I am really curious about is why Italy is so far off the charts compared to everyone else. It's too early to really know the reason, but nobody else in Europe is getting hit as hard as Italy. China didn't even get hit that hard. One thing I do know is that once this is over, nothing will be the same. This will have a 9/11 type of impact on global health conditions. China is in a lot of trouble. This was the wake-up call.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i think he may have meant it's not worth it to vape in general. Not it's not worth it to say vaping is bad.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Please explain how vaping pertains to what this thread is about?

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smoking/vaping weaken lungs. Puts one more at risk of complications is how it pertains.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

So do other things that put people more at risk. Not just vaping. Lets stay on topic as @Kasey has asked numerous times.

This discussion has been closed.