Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Last Dance

123457»

Comments

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I was building a team to win (not looking at careers, not looking at stats, just looking at skill set) and had to choose from the 80's till now, I would put Pippen at the point.

Call me crazy. I want 5 incredible defenders on the floor, and his versatility allows for multiple matchups - and keeps ANYONE building a team from putting a 6 footer on the floor. MJ is my shortest player.

Pippen (6'7"), MJ (6'6"), Lebron (6'8"), Durant (6'11"), Timmy D (7'0")...

...and I would probably have a different lineup tomorrow, but I am going with this one right now...

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you’re talking defenders at point guard...

Payton also had better offense than any of the guards you’ve mentioned. He could play isolation and back people into the paint, could drive and dish, and would never go missing. Yes, I am biased because he was my favorite player growing up.

The Glove was good - really, really good. He should get more credit for just how good he was.

I would argue that Pippen would provide more defensive matchup flexibility - he could defend a SF, even a PF at times. GP's size would not allow for the same flexibility.

But he was REALLY, REALLY good.

And - on a side note - he probably leads this era in fertility as well...

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your 7 footer would be Durant. Duncan is 6’10. You still wouldn’t lose a game, ever.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think this team loses but I was trying to think of a team that hang with this team, not the best players but a squad that would creat matchup issues. My thought even though your team is all tall versatile players there isn’t too many bruisers. I’d play a half court style Running the offense to the block and have shooters on outside trying to win with a low to high game

My Squad- Kareem (7’2 People forget defensive abilities), Wilt (7’1 athlete), Bird 6’9 shooter and defensive pest), Magic (6’9 general but d liability), and Khawi (6’7 elite defender, three ball)

your squad - Pippen (6'7"), MJ (6'6"), Lebron (6'8"), Durant (6'11"), Timmy D (7'0").

Kareem vs Timmy

Khawi vs MJ

Magic vs Pippen

Bird vs LBJ

Wilt vs Durant

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How come neither of you have CP3 on your team? He's the best PG of all time.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Canedawg creates a super tall defensive team- I created a team I thought could hang. I do have the beat pg of all time on my team. CP3 to small for this hypothetical.

Side note: Cp3 imo is not top 5 pgs - Magic, Oscar, Zeke, Stockton, and I think Curry lands here ( I’m not a fan of Curry)

Played against Duncan. He was high shouldered ( shoulders were the height of a 7'2" guy) with LONG arms. Not sure of his actual height, but he played taller. Longest college team I have ever seen. He was the 4, Loren Woods at the 5 (7'2", Finished up at Arizona), a 6'10" kid at the SF (Perol?). Couldn't see the goal...