Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Albany and it's surrounding areas is the wake-up call - the nightmare, if you will - for the REST of the country. If it can happen to Albany, it can happen just about anywhere in (more) rural parts of the country (where I grew up Albany was a big city).

Perfect storm hit there weeks ago, and they have fought to keep their heads above water since. They represent what so many communities are trying to avoid as we start seeing each other a little more.

I do believe our knowledge of the virus, the situation, and what to look for may help prevent this from repeating itself - but it stands as the absolute warning to anyone who claims this is just a metro virus.

• Options
    RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

just because things start opening...i really hope everyone continues to cover their coughs and sneezes, and wash their dang hands... lets keep the etiquette going and not just go completely "normal" immediately. lets try and ease into this, and try to limit this thing from finding hosts.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

Don't live there but do read AJC most days. Didn't Albany have some kind "event" (fair or something) right about the time this was beginning? Think I remember reading that. Just an awful accident of timing.

• Options

Another incredible weather day in SC. Blessed to be able to get out and enjoy nature during these hard times. Wife and I went on about a 1.5 mile hike late morning through the woods (lots of elevation change, so great exercise as well). Got absolutely bum rushed by a turkey hen with little ones - she wasn't backing down. Gotta appreciate her attitude...

It continues to be a different world in our state. 6000+ people hospitalized in the whole state - 5000+ beds available - 307 total hospitalizations due to Covid-19 in the whole state as of yesterday - less than 5%. I pray and hope this continues. We continue to get new cases each day, not really going up or down. Hard to look at fatalities statistically cause the variance is so big compared to the actual number - 3 one day, 14 the next, 4 the next, 11 the next, etc. I know we are starting to test more and more and more, so that has to be a good sign.

We have an event for our seniors tonight (well, probably about 25 of them) - an outside movie on a blow up screen. One lawn chair per 2 parking spaces for social distancing sake. They are excited to see each other, even if it is at a weird distance.

• Options

Two big funerals around March 10-15, right before the crap hit the fan... Most of the initial cases were linked to these two events, but they didn't know it for a week or two.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Correct and unfortunately in the African American community. Very close nit and set in traditional funerals. Lots of interaction between family and guest. Someone had it and went, it spread like wildfire and unfortunately became the epicenter for the county.

• Options

No new cases in my county as of noon today. 21 standing for 3 days in a row. Only one death reported with 7 having to be hospitalized.

Although, it being the first of May and the lifting of the SIP, there has been a influx of people coming into town with RV's, Campers and out of state tags.

Really hope they left that $hit at home and brought their on TP......not going to find it here....just saying...

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many people travel to Clayton county?

The "real" outbreak started in NYC (123 per 100k) from Europe.

Top 10 deaths by state are NY (123) serviced by JFK, Newark many European flights in December particularly.

New jersey (85) - Newark many European flights connected to NY.

Conn (63) - NY commute

Mass (52) - Boston (hourly shuttles from NY) and Many European flights

Louis (42) - exception Mardi Gras

Michigan (39) - Detroit

DC (33) - Hourly air and train shuttles from NY

RI (26) - NY commuters

Penn (21) - NY and many European flights come into Philly

Illinois (19) - O'Hare is 2nd only to ATL in volume.

The population density allows the virus to spread faster not necessarily infect a greater percentage.

• Options

Airport in Atlanta is in Clayton county. But just barely. It's in the northern edge of Clayton but people that leave the airport (for the most part), don't go south. They go north into Atlanta (Dekalb and Fulton counties). Just to put in perspective. Clayton county numbers are not really indicative.

• Options

the numbers are hard to make determinations with because there are so many factors (age of population, public transit, apartments/close quarters housing, existing health conditions of the population, occupation/industry percentages of the area, etc etc etc)

too many correlations which can make determining any sort of trend a big guess we cant bank on.

I just hope we can get this figured out/recover/get healthy quickly...too many people are getting screwed financially and may never recover... credit scores, debt, house payments, interest rates, repo cars, evicted, retirement funds, you name it....this is a life altering economic punch in the face.

• Options

praying/sending the good energy for all of you

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fair enough - just used Clayton as the correlation being made seemed to be that cases/deaths were higher near the busiest airports in the US. Fulton County COVID death total is currently at 103

• Options

And Dekalb--36. Really have to combine them because Atlanta is about 1/2 Fulton and 1/2 Dekaib. Not nit-picking. Just saying that if we're going to compare numbers....

• Options

Not sure where you get your data from, but I go here and you can scroll over each county for the updates...

• Options
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    spenwinspenwin Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I'm looking for UGA masks. Any ideas???

• Options
    spenwinspenwin Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Got them! Thxs

• Options
This discussion has been closed.