Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

I am assuming that based on your comments regarding personal responsibility that either you have not been out since March or if you had to you you wear a mask on each and every occasion. If that is the case why are you not mad at the 9,000 per day who risk your / your parents life by not similarly being responsible.

BTW Isn't the first part of Governor Govern. You are saying that he is not responsible when he allows people to go to bars then claims it isn't his responsibility. After all it's not his job to protect people from themselves AND OTHERS!

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 100%. I think that was the point of the injured player coming back to quickly. Too many just decided to ignore the recommendations and reinjury occurred. I feel like all my time in quarantine was for waste and I'm a bit angry about that.

• Options

Fleming, can I ask a serious question? How does one do that in an effective way? I think this is the question that often separates the left and the right and not that either side is correct. I think this is the crux of the challenge, how does one do this in a way that does not infringe on personal liberties, but is effective enough to be successful.

• Options
    edited June 2020

The way I see it is I have the liberty to risk my own life, no-one else has the liberty to risk my life and I don't have the liberty to risk others lives. Only one of these 3 involves PERSONAL liberty.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, I wish it was this clean, this easy and these principals always applied. They just don't (in my opinion). Too many moving parts, where decisions may or may not infringe on both. Most of our decisions effect both our lives and others. The greatest, most polarizing topic in social and political history is a great example of a decision that directly affects our lives and the life of another. No one ever agrees.

Just wear a mask around people guys. And stay out of rooms hugged up with a bunch of people. If this thing never goes away, masks are gonna become permanent part of humanity anyway (dang I hate typing that).

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This one is going to go in circles. I'm staying out.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

LOL!!! I can take it Kasey. Or should I say Mrs. Biden. Seriously I laughed out loud, the wife asked me what was going on. Thanks for a great start to a Monday and have a good week Go Dawgs!

• Options

I am not sure. My point is how can you blame a Governor because you went into a bar and hung out in a large crowd or participated in a large protest and then test positive? Even though the media seems to give the protestors a pass. There guidelines setup for opening bars and obviously some didn't follow the guidelines so they have been shut back down. I read and here comments that its too late the spike was caused by bars. I guess nobody was infected at the protests. And it may just be me but shots being taken at any Governor right now appear to be mostly politically based.

• Options

Reminder of where Florida stood just 11 days ago. Notice the last sentence. as of yesterday's data the state has continued to set new records for 7 day average and now stands at 6,255 a 160% increase in just 11 days! Given the average for the last 5 days was 7,514 I don't see this declining until the end of the week if then.

• Options

I agree, my wife is a RN at a hospital here in FL. She talks to our neighbor who is a respiratory therapist at the same hospital to try and gauge the virus. Right now they have 6 cases in the hospital but only one in ICU(who is a patient in his 80's) he did say the other 5 were younger than what they normally have seen in the past. He was also put on-call instead of reporting for his shift Friday due to being slow at the hospital. If you watch the news you would not expect a hospital in the Jacksonville area to be so slow that a respiratory therapist would be put on-call instead of working a shift.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm fortunate to be 67 with no underlying conditions. Well, except that I'm about 30 lbs. overweight. Starting a diet today.

If there's any good news about this virus, it's that the mortality rate for Ga along with the states of SC, Fl, and AL are much lower than the rest of the country. Don't know the explanation for that?

Deaths per 1mm. I think we're about 250 which places us around 25th in the country. Texas and Fl have very low rates of mortality -- so far. Several states in the NE are over 1000.

I'm hearing that hospitalizations are down and overall severity is lower too.

Let's hope that the increase in cases doesn't result in an increased rate of hospitalizations. That's the key IMO is the number of hospitalizations.

• Options
    CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

No, sir.

Georgia set another record week, ending with over 12,500 new cases, 78% more than last week. In context, that means 1 out of every 6 cases in the entire pandemic was reported this week.

The primary driver is not testing. While GA did do 14K more tests than last week, the 7 day average of new cases per test was 11.5% this week, up from 8.5% last Sunday.

New hospitalizations were highest since the first week of May. For context, we're hospitalizing 5 people per hour with COVID in Georgia.

• Options
    CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2020

I suppose this will likely help more, as most people are more visually stimulated. The graph is not mine.

Edit: Bear in mind, the hospitalization numbers continued to rise for 3 weeks after they "locked down" NYC. Doubt anyone knows for sure right now if the deaths are going to follow or not. So many variables, it's impossible to know. It will happen or it wont.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I guess I heard wrong. Thanks for the info. Good graph.

• Options

Fleming,

I can't speak for the media, I can only speak for me.

I don't give any protestor who isn't wearing a mask a pass. Period. I don't give anyone who is a public figure who isn't advocating a mask a pass. Period.

In terms of a governor, I would say that any governor who helps his/her state's economy be strong and the response to the virus be strong is good in my book. And, I personally believe that enforcing mask wearing helps businesses. It certainly helps mine. I have been puzzled by this economy or virus argument because to me, stopping the virus is the most important issue facing businesses in 2020. Again, I can only speak for me, but I don't give any politician from any party more benefit of the doubt or more criticism. Do what I ask above, and you get my praise. Don't, and I'll call that person out for being ****. And if I call 10 Republicans **** and 10 Democrats great, fine. If I call 10 Democrats **** and 10 Republicans great, fine. Just give me a serious response to the virus so that businesses can thrive in 2020 and I will be happy and party has zero relevance on this for me.

• Options

That is what I find interesting. Florida is supposed to be the new hotspot and my wife is a RN in a Jacksonville area hospital. Right now they have 6 positive cases admitted and only 1 in ICU. Friends in the area say about the same in other hospitals. Respiratory Therapists staying home on-call. Where are these hospitals that are being overrun? If this chart about % occupancy was right you would think at least one in Jacksonville would be shipping patients to another. I still don't know anyone personally that has tested positive and my Mom is in an assisted living facility that 3 tested positive but never had severe symptoms. I don't know any of the 3 personally was just told by the Director that the 3 were there.

This discussion has been closed.