Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw a thing in the news couple of days ago about a "faith healer" in Cameroon who "cured" those with Covid. He died of...wait for it......Covid 19. 39 years old

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Sweeden more active in international trade and travel than its neighbors? Could move infect have come to Sweden for certain conventions, etc than other countries?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They're all pretty dependent on foreign trade, but I think it's more the movement of people within society that will have a larger effect. Tourists would expose more people than those that transport goods for example. I haven't seen anything that says Sweden had more events to hasten community spread, but who knows. Everything I've read suggests the difference has come from the soft lockdown.

• Options

I realize that's what is being put out there but why didn't other large US cities have as bad of outbreaks as NYC? Lockdowns have been pretty similar here. I just think it is more likely that an infected person or group of people hit Sweden under the right circumstances to have a larger outbreak. Look at the county in Southern Georgia that had a crazy outbreak because of bad timing at a large funeral. No other rural county in Georgia came close to those numbers.

In other words, what you are saying is the most logical answer may just be the more justifiable answer. Bad luck could have just as much to do with it.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

NY had a number of things going against it.

1. It is by far the most populous city in the US (8.5 million) and has by far the highest population density (28.2k per square mile) allowing the disease to spread rapidly.
    2. The total focus for Feb/Mar was travel to/from China when the focus should have been Europe which has far greater international travel to the US, mainly through the NE airports.
    3. Being hit first (West Coast excepted) they more than many others were hurt by the lack of available tests that were only being provided if an individual had symptoms AND had traveled to China.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is this guy wrong? Asking for a friend.

• Options

This is more or less the point I was making. It is, in my mind, more likely that Sweden had certain unique factors relative to its neighboring countries that caused them to have more of an outbreak of which a softer lockdown may be one. While I do find the soft lockdown convenient to believe, I don't necessarily believe it is the most logical.

Also, if the conditions in NYC you mentioned are so unique causing the virus to go, well, viral, then why are blanket shutdown policies being enforced in areas nothing like NYC? What is the logic in that?

• Options

Lockdowns slow the spread. The similarity between NY and Sweden is that they were both late in imposing their lockdown. The difference is that NY had issues that weren't addressed either at the state or federal level due to focusing on the wrong source while Sweden chose to not lockdown thinking that they would emerge in a stronger economic position. My earlier post on Greece shows the impact of locking down earlier.

The key to controlling the virus is to lockdown early and get testing and tracing in place. The reason to slow the spread is to minimize the fatalities until a cure/vaccine can be found and implemented. The slower the spread, the lower the cost (both lives and treatment cost) ultimately as the medical community develop better treatment based on better understanding.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Better question is "Is this guy really a doctor?"

Also given the economy will only recover if consumer confidence allows it, does it even matter if he's right. The universal wearing of masks will improve both!

• Options
    SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 2020

I think masks are supposed to be a fail safe for sneezing/coughing into your arm. He's right that masks don't stop the little droplets, but those are different from the larger respiratory droplets that projectile out when you cough/sneeze. CDC says those larger droplets are the primary way the virus is transmitted.

Doesn't seem like much, but if masks make millions of people effectively cough into their arms rather than onto other people I definitely see how it could curb transmission.

• Options

Latest Fl deaths by date through May 14th.

I started tracking the deaths by date starting with the May 14th report. The total shown May 1-13th in that report was 402. This doesn't include 41 reported deaths for the 14th (understandable given they went to 1 day delay) but the number for May 1-13 now stands at 524, 122 higher! This could be that they are under-reporting or that they are reporting the correct number daily but don't have the DOD detail. Either way the graph is worthless as recent numbers will always show a downward trend due to being incomplete data!

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doctors and nurses are trained and fitted to use N95 masks which do provide protection from viruses. During flu season when you go to a doctor's office they usually give you a surgical mask to wear which keeps you from spewing your virus filled spit all over the place. Masks were originally advised against to prevent people from hoarding N95s away from healthcare professionals who actually know how to use them and opted instead for physical distancing which ideally should be enough to keep droplets from going from one person to another. In practice it didn't work. Health agencies then said everyone should wear a cloth covering in addition to physical distancing to prevent carriers from infecting healthy people. This approach only works if everyone does it.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fleming, that "doctor" shows he should stick to surgery, not epidemiology. This also shows the danger of any individual trying to increase the weight of his or her statements by using pedigree. Nobody, whether they have lots of PhDs or never graduated high school should be given a voice that does not reflect reality. Bias affects us all and just because we want to believe something, doesn't make it true. Anyone who thinks with bias first and analytics second will be wrong more often. Reducing bias isn't about being PC, it is about not letting your analytics be compromised.

It is not the virus a mask is stopping, it is the water vapor droplets that the virus rides on that are 10-15 microns in size, far bigger than the spacing in a bandana or an N95 mask, that is blocked by the mask. If Covid19 was a pure airborn (corrected the spelling thanks to I think Gray on an earlier post) virus, it would be able to survive on hard surfaces for a lot longer period of time than studies show it can.

So, wearing a mask stops water droplets from leaving your mouth and from coming to you from another mouth. The N95 means it stops 95% of them, with a bandana being less. It is only when two people are wearing a mask/banadana that the spread is stopped more effectively because outbound and inbound water droplets are reduced by 95%. The other 5% is escaping around the imperfect connection with one's face as droplets can escape out the sides, especially when we lower it to talk.

I"m going to beat my drum again, which is wearing masks, washing hands and social distancing is important just as opening the economy is too. In the end, it is about protecting America and not taking an either/or one-sided approach to things.

• Options

If both are wearing N95 the chance of transmission is 5% out times 5% in which equates to 0.25% or prevents transmission 399 of 400 times than the same event without masks.

This discussion has been closed.