Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is a good article that brings up some of the questions raised here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/23/why-scientists-change-their-mind-and-disagree.html

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That may be the most condescending article I've ever read. New science didn't change the recommendation not to wear a mask. People calling bullsh*t about their ineffectiveness when they saw actual doctors wearing them while the CDC said they don't really work is what got the policy changed.

People aren't confused about it now. They are cynical. They don't like being treated like half-wits.

I thought the purpose of a lockdown was to flatten the curve and avoid overwhelming our hospitals. You're telling me we need a lockdown until there is a cure? Good luck with that plan.

I understand very clearly that certain parallels can be drawn between cities to fit an opinion. You could find parallels to fit just about any opinion. I fully grasp your line of thinking. I just don't fully agree with it. I may never fully agree with it.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doctors and nurses wear different types of masks than the general public because they wear masks for a different reason. They are constantly interacting with infected people so they need N95 masks to reduce their chance of getting infected. They are trained in how to wear them and have to get fitted to make sure the mask forms a proper seal around the face. The public was advised to wear cloth masks to prevent water droplets from spreading which would prevent asymptomatic and mild cases from infecting others. A healthy individual wearing a mask does not have much protection from contracting COVID-19 if they were to be exposed to an infected individual not wearing a mask. Masks only provide protection if everyone wears them.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Flattening the curve and slowing the spread are the same thing!

I am not saying the lockdown should remain in effect until a cure is developed, A prompt lockdown enables each country/state to get the process and people in place to test, trace and isolate and can be released when that is achieved as long as people follow social distancing rule including a mask. A lockdown is imposed to enable the government to get a handle on the problem (scope and size). They isolate everybody because they can't identify who needs to be individually isolated.

edited May 2020

Fair enough on the tone. But they’re right that the data did change... East Asian countries w/ strong adherence to wearing masks (not N95 masks like Yale pointed out, but just covering your face) were having more success w/ the virus than we were.

Could have been a number of things causing that, but CDC started to think covering your face in public might be an important factor.

And I think it’s fair to say people are confused... because the masks you’re talking about here and the face covering masks people have been recommended to wear are completely different.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't buy into the masks at first because I knew they didn't protect you. Then I saw the numbers for how the virus was spreading in Asian countries like Japan and Korea. Compared to what it was doing in Europe and America. The countries where the populace cultures were already wearing masks had a far slower spread rate than the rest of us. I was convinced then. The masks protect everyone else.

That said, I won't forever wear a mask in public.

I never specified a certain type of mask. I know doctors use N95 masks. I know you could get N95 masks at your local hardware store. In fact I had a pack of four laying around from aspirations I had of completing a home improvement project. I know N95 masks were in short supply. So they were in short supply and were accessible by the general public. Then, while they were in short supply we were told we wouldn't benefit from their use. Hmmmm. I know there were a lot of news stories out there questioning the CDC because doctors were wearing them on the front lines. I know there were claims that doctors benefit because they were trained how to properly use them (it's a mask, not a surgical tool, if it were about training every news station could've had a doctor on to show how to properly use one in a two minute segment). I know people who wore masks anyway because they couldn't see how it would hurt contrary to what the CDC was saying at the time. Those people look a lot smarter than the fools they were made out to be at the time.

For me, this has never been about masks being effective PPE. It has been about being treated like a four year old. It is about being considered a sub-class citizen. It is about changing narratives. It is about being told what to think instead of given the information and allowed to make my own decision. It is about shaming those who don't share the same opinion.

You are being told that resistance to mask wearing is based on miscommunication or misunderstanding. It is really based on a lack of trust. The way this pandemic has been handled, or should I say the handling of the public during the pandemic, has further eroded that trust.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

America has been slowly delaying and deflecting personal adult responsibility pretty much since it's inception. It's the nanny state. It grows like an evolving subtle cancer. Lot's of reasons why. Politicians, power, frivolous lawsuits, pursuit of safety at any cost, dumb people doing dumb things.... It's why I tend to always resist more of it.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    edited May 2020

I for one also hate those pesky lines on the street telling me where I can drive my car. Totally unnecessary.

I get your meaning, I don’t like wearing a mask and find it a little silly, but if it helps the spread of the virus and can make someone a little comfortable i guess I can put one on

Again, fair enough. But for me, the math is pretty simple. Whether I trust the current govt. or not, there is reasonable evidence to suggest that covering my face could protect someone else.

But the masks do ****. Especially as summer's coming in. Hot as hell.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't like to wear my 3M respirator in public because it makes my ears stick out.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gray, I find it assenine that the WHO and the CDC ever said that masks didn't help. I have a certain degree of tolerance for the fog of war effect when there is a new situation and uncertainty (9/11, Benghazi, Aids, H1N1, Covid19, etc). But there is a difference between benefit of the doubt that hindsight often doesn't afford and just plain calling out ****. A public health organization should never advise against masks for a virus with spread in community areas. Never!!!! That is a major strike against the WHO and the CDC

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Quiet day in the upstate of SC. Was encouraged Saturday with the number of people in Harbor Freight and Home Depot wearing a mask. Definitely an uptick in that practice.

Cases pretty steady here, even as testing gets more and more prevalent. There is an intentional effort to get testing into areas of our state that lack that healthcare that others have over the past couple of weeks.

Our governor announced rec sports could practice June 1 and start playing June 15. So many people happy about that. The creativity will come in how the regulate the folks who want to watch.

Really hoping high school football is able to be played in some capacity this year - it will mean a lot for the communities in our state.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

...and I would pay to watch a 5 on 5 pick-up game at the Y these days... If you would have told me 6 months ago that we (all of humanity) would go 2-3 months without playing a pick-up game of basketball anywhere on the planet I would have declared you completely insane.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been looking for a small chest freezer. I can't find one. From what I've been told that when this started there was a run on freezers like toilet paper. It's just crazy to me.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Yep! Crazy run on freezers. Frozen food can only last so long too. You'll see some BIG grill parties in late fall.

Had a busy weekend for the Memorial Day Holiday as far as tourist. Lots of "weekend warriors" going to the lake, camping etc. Most all "out of towners" not wearing mask or caring about distancing. Smirking at the ones that are. Thanks for bringing your money into our county......I hope that's all you left with us.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WHO says if you are healthy, only wear a mask when you are taking care of a person with COVID19

This discussion has been closed.