Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Bad Look for Dabo

15678911»

Comments

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It isn't about wearing conservative or liberal apparel. It is about wearing aparel that those around him view as extreme. Wearing a Fox News or a CNN shirt would indicate one's politics, but it wouldn't be considered extreme.

I believe Gundy has every right to wear whatever shirt he wants - it is his first amendment right. Others also have a right to react to whatever shirt he wears in whatever way they want.

No one is talking about allowed or not allowed so first amendment rights aren't in question. What is in question is Gundy's values as perceived by those around him when he wears a shirt that in their opinion, represents a dismissal of the value of their life.

I think in the end, Gundy is learning a valuable lesson, not about political correctness, but about different perspectives around him and how they experience the world differently. That is something all of us have to do whether we actually or secretly where an OAN or BLM shirt. We have been inflamed into being divided and we need to focus more on understanding each other. I don't care if Gundy's actions are hyped up by the media looking for a story, I do care that understanding has increased for both Gundy and his players as a result of this incident.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn’t Kaepernick lose his livelihood? Arguing against yourself much?

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Casanova,

I think you are seeing things a bit one-sided. Let me explain.

I can say that Robert E Lee was a brilliant general and a gentleman in how he conducted himself without saying that I supported the confederacy or slavery.

I can say that Che Guavara represents a counterculture to the status quo and a voice raising awareness about poverty and hunger without saying that I support marxism.

I personally am fine with anyone wearing a shirt with Robert E Lee or Che Guavara on it. I am not fine personally with anyone saying (or wearing a shirt saying) they support slavery or marxism. I think we all need to give each other a bit of understanding and not be so quick to see ill intent in those who have different political views. Ironically, we have so denigrated opposing views as being bad that we are in danger of sabotaging our own democracy, which is founded upon the belief that the people can freely express their differing views.

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From Senator Blutarsky.

I do agree with this thread and some points being made, the hypocrisy is strong. People need to get over slavery but it’s important to celebrate my culture and southern pride. That’s history and don’t try to erase it.

Its 2020 gents, time to be more open minded to change, or get left behind. It’s that simple...

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The entire argument is based on "hurting the right people, not my people"

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

I mean....praising communist killers that murdered people or their beliefs (gays, etc) doesn’t help.

Hes not a spotless martyr. He brought attention to a good cause but also went beyond that and delved into his own prejudices along the way. You can agree with portions of someone’s argument without rubber stamping every move they make and being forced into agreeing with them about everything they do.

edited June 2020

Never said that he was, and personally don’t give a da.mn if he ever plays another down in NFL. The NFL is not obligated to employ him and even if they do, it doesn’t solve anything that matters. He’s not playing because his talent isn’t enough to mask the distraction, not any different from a Tim Tebow. He was on his way out before he took a knee.

That said, the man knelt, peacefully, after consulting with a former teammate who served and advised that kneeling would be more respectful. Besides, where else in the history of mankind is kneeling considered a disrespect? Only in America when a narrative is hijacked. “Get those bastards off the field...”. And here we are today. Still he lost his livelihood for expressing himself. So if Gundy lost his, what’s the difference? The argument from that guy who posted here is a weak one, but not surprised.

We currently have a high profile government official with a history of praising communists and dictators that kill their own people.

Kap was dumb and wore socks depicting cops as pigs which was inarguably counterproductive to his cause. He never said all cops are pigs and killers.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s the problem with symbols. Be it pig socks, Che t-shirts, OAN t-shirts, or Gator t-shirts (shudder), they don’t do nuance well.

Definitely. Symbols will mean different things to different people.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kaepernick didn't lose his livelihood because of wearing the Che Guevara T-Shirt. Hello, earth to SoFlo is anyone home?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

is he getting paid to play football?

he may have not have lost his livelihood, but he certainly lost his job

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey Kaepernick lost his job for a variety of reasons, the primary one was he no longer became effective as a QB. Another reason is Colin became a toxic lightening rod for the 49'ers, who probably felt he was in violation of behavioral clause(s) in his contract.

There's no winners in this thread. Each of us looks at this topic through their own prism. I'm not going to change your opinion and visa versa. I'll end it there, because I don't want to get banned... again! ;-)

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Hey, you don't have to convince me about Kap...i'm not a fan of the guy. Seems to want to be a martyr than actually play football, his girlfriend (whom he stole from a fellow teammate...look it up) screwed his chance to go to Baltimore and brings way too much visibility as a backup. He also took the check the NFL paid him.

But his peaceful protest in retrospect seems to have got him on this trajectory and that is unfair

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This continues to be a great discussion. I appreciate the different takes.

Let's not underestimate the impact a pandemic has on all this. Most productive change is made when we are broken down and hurting in the valleys. The combination of the horrific episodes of brutality in combination with the hurt we are ALL feeling right now makes this time ripe for change. As I look for silver linings (probably too much), I see the potential for progress in race relations, the NCAA, education reform, professional sports, even working environments.

Most importantly, we are having uncomfortable conversations at times. Hopefully we can keep having them with an open mind.

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

“I was a dumbass. I put the shirt on, not knowing enough about the shirt.” - Gundy

Gundy may be lying and doing this all for the cameras, but calling himself out in an interview that will be widely distributed earns him back a little respect in my book.