Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the primary source

This is a local paper from Salt Lake City, but he does he good job summarizing it.

Does research count as blatant deflection now? Gotta keep your bias in check.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here's my interpretation from a ton of academic words - sourced data is highly questionable. Were police stations really keeping accurate numbers of protesters? Same for newspapers. In their own words... "Searches for protests were carried out by the Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies (CHEPS) at San Diego State University using internet searches for local and national news articles, reports from local police departments, and communications from mayors’ and governors’ offices." Given the majority of these cities and states are blue politically I think it's logical and reasonable to trust their record keeping with a skeptical eye. You think you're going to get any reliable data out of the Seattle Mayor's office? LOL, yeah good luck with that.

Be that as it may, their conclusion boils down to an offset. The number of residents staying at home out of fear of being caught up in the protests offsets whatever spike occurred within the population of people engaged in the protests.

• Options

So your best defense is democrats everywhere are corrupt?

Their conclusion made no such statement. You made that conclusion because it fits your bias (something you claim everyone else has). The authors specifically state that do not know the mechanism for reduced transmission and state it may be due to the behaviors of people who attended the protest or didn't attend the protest (in reality the actions of both probably contributed). The main question the paper asked was did the protests cause a spike in cases? From the paper:

"Regardless of the underlying mechanisms, our findings show that the protests and the fight against COVID-19 were on net aligned."

"...when considering the results’ implications for the entire population: public speech and public health did not trade off against each other in this case."

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The total tested for infection in Georgia through yesterday 833, 878. The remaining tests were serology tests to check for antibodies. Even if those show positive they do not become a case until confirmed as active infection by the diagnostic test. The positive rate is 9.75% overall. The positive rate for May was 6.5% but that has increased to 9.3% for June. The deaths through June total 2,805 which is higher than the ICU admissions quoted and using a 20 day lag the mortality rate is 3.8% although I do think that 2.5% of cases is a good guide to use for projection of expected deaths.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

I expect to see the effects of the protests to show up in cases around July 15th through the end of the month. The is probably some uptick just starting but it will become very noticeable 5-6 weeks after they started as exponential growth kicks in. Watch to see if Minnesota starts to experience increasing cases in the next 2 weeks.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

We shall see. There were protests all across the northeast as well.

• Options

Good grief... this is absolutely fruitless. Believe what you want, I can't help you.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,886 mod

couldn't that be said of nearly everyone on this thread? meaning almost none of us are listening to a differing opinion? we all believe what we want to be true to some extent. you and I aren't (or yaledawg) are any different in that regard

• Options

To answer your question... I don't know if what I said to Yaledawg can be extrapolated to everyone in this thread.

I think we want to keep an open mind... in fact it behooves us to do so, because so much of C-19 is evolving. That said, I will continue to review information based on my poly-sci training. In other words, I will question all information sources for bias, based on the simple fact that this pandemic has been weaponized politically.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've always tried to view things from all sides. It's the debater in me. Honestly I do this to a fault. Because if I don't take my wife's side immediately from that girlfriend that didn't say greet her in the store the correct way.... woh Nelly.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember that time where two people from complete opposite sides of the aisle changed each others' minds on the internet?... Me either

• Options
    Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Many counties in Florida are already preparing for hospital capacity issues as non essential surgeries have been postponed again already. ICUs being converted to covid specific rooms already and there is a curfew in Miami Beach again. Some restaurants are already closing voluntarily, and beaches and hotel pools are closing for the July 4th weekend all across south and central Florida.

• Options

When someone says something along the order of "So your best defense is democrats everywhere are corrupt?", then it becomes fruitless to continue on. Particularly, on a sports message board, where at best I'm in drive-by mode.

I, like you enjoy a good debate. In fact I pay a yearly fee to have the privilege of debating CEO's, Politicians, Political Analysts, former CIA Agents, Doctors etc., etc. I save the good stuff for that site.

This discussion has been closed.