Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hospital here in north Florida with whom I have a personal connection, are told to code as many as possible COVID related due to funding. If someone comes in brain dead from an overdose and tests positive then they are a COVID related death.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You need to report your friend for ethical violations and breaking the law.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Agree, and the article I linked on the page above was just published. It was written by one of the foremost vitamin D experts in the world. He was one of the key doctors the Endocrine Society used to set their recommendations. The fact that he just published it should tell us a lot. He knows he can't make claims beyond the progress of the studies, but he finds a way to strongly recommend keeping your D level adequate and 40-60 ng/ml optimally. He is very familiar with all of the research on vitamin D.

• Options

The article stated that Orlando Health reported 76% positive rate in the VA hospital when the VA investigated it was 6% and they reported 98% positive rates fro Orlando Hospitals when it was really 9.4%. That is a pretty big disparity. And again I have a close personal put my hands on person from a local hospital that is told no matter what a person passes away from if they tested positive then code it as COVID 19. They test everyone and the positive results are out so reporting a death is not going to hurt them when they are already business as usual. Also this hospital is told to do multiple tests on positive patients until they test negative and each test is considered a new positive case.

• Options

It's not like they go from 0 dollars to 37k just from saying someone died of covid. They get 20% more for TREATING someone with covid based on average costs for treating similar conditions. If they are hospitalized with no vent they get about an additional $2,500 and with a vent about $6500. It varies regionally.

• Options

They are compensated for higher numbers not lower. These hospitals are open for business. My sister in law just had rota-tor cuff surgery. You are implying these hospitals are closed until COVID is gone. They are open for business as usual here and are absolutely reporting inflated numbers. Same person tested 3 times over 2 weeks is 3 new cases.

• Options

That slight reporting issue had a negligible effect on the real number and had since been corrected. This has been discussed multiple times on this thread. You should feel confident knowing that even slight irregularities are being highly scrutinized.

• Options
  • Options

They aren't lying about the person being positive they are told if a person is positive and dies for any reason then it was COVID related.

• Options

@flemingislanddawg if you know people who are fudging numbers you need to report them. They should be in jail.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

My understanding if the death is coded as Covid in the hospital it is 37K

• Options

Yes it is roughly 37k total. But the net difference is about $6500 compared to a non covid treatment. The deal was hospitals would get an extra 20% on top of the normal rate.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm starting to feel better. Day 7. The first four days were hel l. A splitting/throbbing headache that felt like someone shot me in the back of the head with an arrow. I know it doesn't sound that bad, but it was.

And except for day one, no fever. Wierd.

Felt a little like regular flu symptoms from years ago, just lasted longer.

My Doctor said to go get tested and I tried to schedule an appt. through CVS health. Even 3 days out, no appointments available from six different test sites within 20 miles of my home, or if there was a time slot available, clicking on that time slot produced an error message.

I'll bet it had something to do with the rush of people trying to get tested -- reportedly people were lined up in their cars for 4 hours trying to get tested.

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With respect I don't see how that has a "negligible" effect on the real number if ..if every new positive test case for a period of time was counted as a new case the only way to right that would have been to subtract the number of cases counted like that...I have not seen such an adjustment , has their been and I missed it ?

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“ I have a close personal put my hands on person...”

This made me chuckle.

As to the earlier point about masks being mandated since March and the high pos test rates in Miami...I wonder if masks really work? Has anyone looked at this issue?

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is surely a stretch, but at least in those cases there was actually a positive test. In other cases I’m hearing there were no tests whatsoever given and marked COVID positive or COVID death. I have made it a point to ask everyone about this recently and it seems everyone has a story to tell, I hear new ones everyday. I heard another example of a COVID death with no test last night at a dinner party, my friends grandmother. I trust the experiences of my friends and family members I know personally, as do you. In each instance, I’m supposed to trust that lie was the only one committed by a particular institution? Come on....

If people are willingly naive that is on them, and history will tell the story as it has done many times.

• Options

No, this has not been “corrected.” I don’t feel it has been verified as being true. Lots of people making the claims, but I haven’t seen anyone post a link to a news story, much less quote a reputable source.

@MarkBoknecht Glad you are feeling better. The inability to get tested is still very real, despite the huge number of tests being conducted. I’d guess the true infection rate is still 10x higher than known cases.

• Options

From the CDC

"The number of positive tests in a state is not equal to the number of cases, as one person may be tested more than once."

We weren't even talking about this in the comment you quoted. We were talking about the error in percent positive cases for Florida, but I'll go ahead and get that out of the way as well.

"Of the more than 450 facilities with zero negative results, only 81 reported more than ten total tests.

In fact, the vast majority reported only a single test.

With the state reporting 3.3 million tests statewide, the lab and hospital we spoke with both agreed, even as they go back to clear up the reporting errors, they find it unlikely it will make any significant change to the overall positivity rate."

• Options

What treatments? The only drug in the guidelines is dexamethasone. Oxygen and steroids, yet the hospitals are losing money? I find that hard to believe. Remdesivir if they are severe, and only for 5 days. Z-pacs only cost a fortune at a hospital.

I just don’t buy the financial games hospitals play when all they are doing is hooking up IV’s and monitoring people‘s O2 levels. It’s not like after emergency surgery when 5 doctors visit a day, plus anesthesiologists, etc. It’s expensive because they try very hard to make it expensive.

This discussion has been closed.