Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wait till you find out about pregnancy tests and condoms

Kidding, just trying to lighten the mood

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s a civilian, so he can go wherever he wants. In his case, I suspect his security clearance is probably the reason. He works on weapons systems.

• dgdawgdgdawg Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If he need access to the base he needs permission from the base commander. I work at Eglin and they are doing the same thing.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

To show a fair and balanced approach to this topic I give you this not so optimistic article.

This is certainly not what I wanted to hear:

"A study released last month by the Scripps Research Institute concluded that the strains of the virus spreading so quickly in Europe and the U.S. have a mutated S “spike” protein that makes them about ten times as infectious as the strain that was initially identified in Asia. If it seems like the United States is having a tougher time controlling the spread of the coronavirus than Asian countries did in winter and early spring, that’s partially because this version of the virus is tougher to stop from spreading."

On the positive side, we have this...

"A vaccine is coming as fast as anyone could hope for, but still probably won’t arrive until late 2020 or early 2021.

We continue to hear good news from the hunt for a vaccine. The University of Oxford vaccine candidate might be done with human trials by September, and “AstraZeneca has agreed to sell the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis during the crisis if it proves effective and has lined up deals with multiple manufacturers to produce more than 2 billion doses.” A candidate vaccine developed by the federal government and Moderna appears to be safe and to trigger an immune response, and is entering the final stage of testing trials. The Food and Drug Administration has also fast-tracked two experimental vaccines jointly developed by German biotech firm BioNTech and Pfizer, according to CNBC.

Once the world is on its way to recovery, one final problem will remain: figuring out how to prevent a similar crisis from happening in the future. We must be aware that the conditions that facilitated the virus’s migration from a bat to the still-unidentified Patient Zero in Wuhan will be almost entirely unchanged when the pandemic ends. We don’t know exactly how that migration happened, but illegal animal poaching and smuggling will continue around the globe, the so-called wet markets in China will remain open, and we will still have to take it on faith that most countries conduct their biological research into contagious diseases safely."

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

JACKSON, Miss. (WLOX) - Across the entire state, there were 1,032 new cases of COVID-19 and 24 new deaths reported Friday.

3rd consecutive day of 1000+ cases and increasing deaths

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best post I've read in a while. Wish more Americans had this attitude.....

Of course....many do..... don't want to discount them. But we need more of this.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What happens when the kid goes home to Grandma as Mum is at work! The kids tested in Florida were 1/3 positive of 51k tested!

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What happens when the kid spends ALL DAY at Grandma's because Mum is at work and they don't have school, then goes and plays with his friends that evening in the front yard?

The same risk, except in one scenario, he/she gets educated.

If Grandma and the kid are seeing each other regularly, then that risk has already been assumed.

C'mon, Den. How long do you want to keep kids away from each other? You site stats all the time, and research all the time. It's not hard to find research on development issues with kids - of all ages - that do not socialize, miss discipline, and have no routine.

I work with kids. I know kids. I have watched kids - from all backgrounds - grow up as they interact with each other. And I have ALREADY seen the toll this has had on teenagers and rites of passage.

Mum need's to stay away from the grandkids for a while - and when she sees them, it can be outside about 10 feet away, upwind.

To follow up on my previous post...

I am not crazy. There are some places that need to be "virtual" for a short time. But it ain't everybody. It ain't most places.

What is your theory as to why Italy has only 200 cases per day after having multiple numbers of deaths per day? Same for Spain and France etc. The EU with 440 million people got their cases down to under 5,000 per day; what magical drug do they have that allowed them to do this? No need to answer, NONE!

edited July 2020

Not a statement just so everyone can get an idea of how spread works. If 1 person somehow gets infected on day 1 and infects 2 others 1 day 4 and 1 day 5 before they exhibit symptoms if indeed they ever do and the cycle is similarly repeated. This table shows how the virus spreads.

You can see that by the end of the month 633 people are infected and based on current apparent mortality rate 16 people will likely die the following month.

This obviously can be challenged on the assumptions but I just wanted to show how just 1 "case" starts a branch of the tree and not just lead to 2 or 3 infections. Everyone needs to do whatever necessary to stop the spread! BTW the branch continues to grow until it's stopped.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Let's just all stay at home and hope someone else brings us food and water. That way we won't kill 16 people next month. And make sure we don't let anyone else do anything that might cause the same fate...

"Whatever necessary." That's a terrifying statement...

This discussion has been closed.