Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

🤣 Pretty sure I'll just save the $5. Just trying to not stir the pot. DV coming in 3..2..1

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can I get the $5 if I can tell you who it is without mod powers?

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

🤣 Don't need "super powers". Remember that I'm "hiding out". I am very slippery.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My son who tested positive and had a fever and was a little achy was told to come back to the CareSpot he was tested at in Clay County FL fter 14 days to retest. He went back yesterday but the Dr. told him there was absolutely no reason to test again since he didn't have symptoms. He did give him a list of suggestions and highlighted what he should do. Interesting because I would have thought being in FL they would want him to test. The paper was titled Summary of Recent Changes Updates as of 7/20/20 they highlighted "A test based strategy is no longer recommended to determine when to discontinue home isolation" then it said except in certain circumstances (not highlighted) "Symptom-based criteria were modified as follows: Changed from at least 72 hours to at least 24 hours have passed since last fever without the use of fever reducing medications. Changed from improvement in respiratory symptoms to improvement in symptoms to address expanding list of symptoms associated with COVID-19. For patients with severe illness, duration of isolation for up to 20 days after symptom onset may be warranted. Consider consultation with infection control experts(AKA Dawgnation)For persons who never develop symptoms, isolation and other precautions can be discontinued 10 days after the date of their first positive RT-PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 RNA A summary of current evidence and rationale for these changes is described in the "Duration of isolation an Precautions for Adults with COVID-19. This was the reason for no second test.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Speaking of babbling. Shouldn’t You be trying to keep your boat afloat? You are the most easily triggered, emotionally compromised person on the board. You also NEVER miss a chance to go off on some political rant. I got a good laugh the other day when you lost your marbles about the failed California lockdown.

The evidence on masks is inconclusive, based on many, many studies. Faucci said so himself. They can’t even give a decent range for how much they think a mask might help. They just figure it doesn’t hurt, and need a policy they can use to claim responsibility for the decline that is about to occur from burnout over the next 1-3 months.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cali deserves better...

• Options
    edited July 2020

Do you see his commentary as an attempt to add information to this conversation? It was nothing but a dedicated attack on me, and made false accusations regarding my intent in this thread.

Many, many liberal-types are unhappy with Faucci and his inconsistencies. This is not a straight political divide. This is not an “orange man bad/good” issue for me.

Telling the public wearing a mask will “drive this virus in to the ground”, as was publicly stated just days before by the head of CDC, and then Faucci saying “Well we don’t know how much it helps” is tremendously conflicting and worth noting.

California’s history with me is somewhat long. I don’t know how many times I have had a back and forth with him, but in almost every instance it has been because he jumps in to address me first. I really don’t engage in conversation or debate with him the way I do with @YaleDawg and others because all he offers is commentary about my views rather than a debate of the actual issues. While I find Yale can be thought provoking, my experience with Cali is the opposite. Because of that I’ve just never really been interested enough in what he has to say to get involved with him.

His hypocrisy in slamming me for this is laughable. He went off on another emotionally charged rant (and personal attack) the other day when I compared the results of California’s lockdown to other states. He turned a non-political observation in to a Left-Right accusation, the same as he has done here regarding Faucci.

Deserves better? If you say so.

“sick of your drabble”...Is that the type of complimentary discussion you appreciate? Did you Up vote that comment? How about a little consistency, folks?

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

180 unread comments later.....

LOL. Round and round we go.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

@RxDawg That is an encouraging article and from the NYT! Here is another one that will take you by surprise. This week's Newsweek ran an oped by a Yale epidemiologist and it strongly endorses hydroxychloroquine along with an antibiotic and zinc. Very interesting read, too.

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating-covid-19-already-exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

• Options
    edited July 2020

To add to this informative article, Swedish scientists have been doing a lot of research on these memory T cells that are capable of mounting a defense against CV 19. They have tested a lot of Swedish blood and they have found that roughly, for every positive IGG serology test, there are two negative tests that contain memory T cells for fighting CV 19, and the rest are completely negative. A lot of speculation has followed, but obviously if 15-20% of your population randomly tests positive for antibodies and that represents a third of the actual immunity, you are looking at 45-60% of your population that might have immunity. That might explain why Sweden appears to have hit a degree of herd immunity at lower levels of positive antibody tests.

Interestingly, Florida publishes a sampling of antibody tests and last week the total positive rate was about 14%. That's from Jax, Orlando, Palm Beach County, and Miami. The Miami positives were in the high teens! Obviously, the higher that number for the general population, the greater the immunity. If you hit 15% to 20% you could be hitting the real HIT. How long it lasts is probably a lot more complicated, but even if you can catch it again down the road, maybe some immunity will last. Sort of like a flu shot that mutes the intensity of the disease, even though you may still catch it. I'm cautiously optimistic that Florida is leveling off and will be dropping in the coming weeks, like Sweden did. That all assumes that Sweden is due to immunity and not some other factor.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Finally, another preprint study on vitamin D from overseas. This one is from Israel. They found lower levels of D in positives compared to negatives, and after correcting for variables they found a blood level below 30ng/ml resulted in about twice the hospitalization levels of those with D above 30. That is very close to the results of the observational studies from Indonesia and the Philippines. 30ng/ml or higher was strongly associated with milder CV 19 and a better outcome.

Good summation from one of the docs on the research team:

>>“We don’t know the mechanism,” Frenkel-Morgenstern said. “What we do know is that people who develop severe COVID and were hospitalized – these people have significantly low vitamin D levels.”<<

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/vitamin-d-deficiency-could-make-you-more-prone-to-covid-19-new-study-636350

• Options

Wow. Those are certainly encouraging and impressive numbers, especially given the concentrated participation of high risk individuals and nursing home patients.

"These seven studies include: an additional 400 high-risk patients treated by Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, with zero deaths; four studies totaling almost 500 high-risk patients treated in nursing homes and clinics across the U.S., with no deaths; a controlled trial of more than 700 high-risk patients in Brazil, with significantly reduced risk of hospitalization and two deaths among 334 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine; and another study of 398 matched patients in France, also with significantly reduced hospitalization risk."

400 high risk patients, + 500 high risk/nursing home patients + 334 high risk in Brazil (not enough details to included the French study).

That's 1234 HIGH RISK individuals with a loss of life totaling 2.

I wonder what the untold story is on this?

In another post you stated, "I'm cautiously optimistic that Florida is leveling off and will be dropping in the coming weeks, like Sweden did. That all assumes that Sweden is due to immunity and not some other factor."

I feel the same way as you. Cautiously optimistic. I believe US deaths were predicted to be around 1500 by the end of this month somewhere in this thread. Thankfully, we are not likely to approach that number without a big makeup day for the low Sunday totals. Fingers crossed.

This discussion has been closed.