Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,264 mod

Well I work around a few Doctors, PA's and CFNP's and they are worried....

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But the answer according to some is to completely isolate anyone over 65 and/or that live with someone in that range and/or have preexisting conditions for months if not years. Wont that lead to millions more committing suicide versus shutting down for 4 weeks with financial protection.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife is a PA, she’s not worried...Neither are the doctors she works with, her uncle, one of the finest physicians in the entire southeast, my best friend the ER physician, and his wife who owns her own emergency medicine practice, nor any of my commercial physician clients that I’ve spoken to about COVID...

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So indefinite isolation doesn't cause suicide? In June most all states were open to an extent and none to my knowledge were in lock-down. In fact I don't think any state has been in lock-down ever. Airlines never were restricted other than international travel which remains prohibited by other countries due to the US not getting Covid under control. Cruise lines are shut down but US tourists are banned in the Bahamas for the same reason and are likely not to be allowed until the virus is tamed. What other businesses are closed?

My plan was always shut down (really shut down) protect the individuals financially and tame the beast. For 90% of the people a job is the means not the end and if financially protected would gladly take a short sabbatical to see light at the end of the tunnel. and get back to a semblance of normal.

What are you suggesting is the way forward?

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Outstanding post.

I would like to think we are still a nation of roll up your sleeves and lets figure this out.

After reading this thread for the past few weeks seems more like we are a country of we can't.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Best friends next door are practitioners, Covid testing even. Two ER nurses in large metro ATL hospitals on other side. Care for each other’s children. Taking it seriously? Sure. Worried and petrified from amateur doom preachers? No.

Ive also knew two people (One high schooler) commit suicide during the first lockdown. The other a dad.

• BumBum Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg I’m sensing some positive momentum and welcome back to the thread...ha. Let’s go Dawgs. Keep the train rollin’. Common sense rules.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Canedawg,

No worries, I didn't even see it. I'm focused on getting the main halyard and companionway hatch repaired so I can keep sailing across the Atlantic.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yale, I am the one who can't think critically?!😂 We haven't even discussed many of the most compelling arguments! But, as I said earlier, I think the Israeli doctor summed the situation up nicely (see below). It isn't just her study. The same strong correlation has been found in other studies (mild cases=high vitamin D; bad outcomes=deficient vitamin D). We'll see what happens as more research is done, but making sure you aren't deficient in D is a really good idea right now imho.

>>“We don’t know the mechanism....What we do know is that people who develop severe COVID and were hospitalized – these people have significantly low vitamin D levels.”<<

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
This discussion has been closed.