Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Now that NIL has consumed the collegiate level…

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Boosters have always given players money. I would suggest catching the 30 for 30 documentary “Pony Exce$$” for more info on that. You’ll notice how all across the college landscape players receiving benefits.

Speaking for myself, I’ve never said these athletes have received nothing. They’ve received quite a bit. The argument I’m making is the athletic department is receiving more. These athletes benefitting from NIL is not the great goblin so many of you make it out to be.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes I know. But you responded to me responding to another poster that very much insinuated that. So I kept it in that context.

In regards to illegal under the table payments, I'm not including that for this debate because there's just to much unknown. They also have tax laws that somewhat deter that to a point.

I understand the argument where people say the golden goose got to big not to give players more of a piece of the pie. But what I see is why the golden goose got so big. There's a reason people love college football and support it far more than they probably should. And personally, I fear we are in the process of destroying a lot of that. The sport I fell in love with in the 90s is being drastically altered. I fear the consequences of that.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just because you say they haven't earned anything yet doesn't make you right. Clearly plenty of people think they've earned more than a scholarship. With this thinking NFL rookies should not earn money either, since they haven't done anything in the NFL.

Also, you clearly have no clue about Hunter's social media presence (a social media following he built up without any help from a university), and likely is a huge reason he was also given the NIL he received.

Also, UGA has nearly doubled its football revenue in the past 5 years. It was 77 million in 2014, and it was 134.5 million 2019-20 (Covid year).

Whether you like it or not, these players helped increase that revenue. You put a bad product on the field and you will see the revenue/donations drop. Revenue plummeting means less money UGA Athletics gives back to the academic side. Making UGA a less desirable destination for everyday students… most understand the trickle down effects of having a good or bad football team.

• Options

Same goes for NIL, only a small % WANT to enter it but they can if they want.

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really, Is it the product on the field? Why is Texas ranked number 1. They suc k. It has nothing to do with the high school players coming to join them next year. They already have their brand and their alumni and their fan base. As a matter of fact many of the top 15 programs ( in link below) or so have mediocre programs. How are they still generating all of that money? I will wait… it dam sure isn’t next years class. Open the market up and let them go pro and see what their worth really is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2021/06/where-does-your-school-rank-among-richest-and-poorest-power-5-college-football-programs-new-revenue-figures-for-all-65.html%3foutputType=amp

• Options

48% of UGA's 2019-20 revenue would be 64.5 million/year for the players (divvied up for 85 scholarship players). So yeah, a roughly $100k/year UGA scholarship isn't close to that. That's 8.5 million UGA is "paying" out in scholarships, versus the NFL model would be $64.5. Not saying the players should get 48% or that it's an apples to apples comparison, just showing there's a huge gap and why the supreme court ruled the way it did.

• Options

Salary caps really don't matter, as these are essentially endorsement deals. NFL rookies aren't capped by endorsement deals. If you want salary caps, then they would need to move to the universities having them on their payroll. Might be better long-term if you are wanting salary caps setup. Then you could take a similar approach to the NFL model (say 48% of total SEC revenue, or Power 5 revenue, is your salary cap for all 85 players).

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get it. 48% is way too much. Just threw that out as an example of the NFL model. I am for players getting paid, don't get me wrong....but I do not support boosters paying players. There simply must be a set of common controls all programs have to follow. All the pro leagues have player reimbursement controls, why shouldn't the NCAA?

• Options

Right and there’s a draft in NFL too if NCAA model were adopted. Green Bay would go away and the dallas cowboys would have the all pro team from both leagues and at league maxes. unlimited free market for players just doesn’t work. Must have controls and caps

• Options

I wonder how much of the $30M TAMU just spent on NIL are real endorsement deals. What are those players doing to earn that "endorsement" money? Are they doing commercials for local car dealerships or signing autographs at the mall? They have 27 recruits and $30M spent on NIL. Over $1M per player. That is a $hit-ton of autographs and personal appearances.

• Options

And yet you can never articulate what that is. What’s really changing? Nothing. Other than you being made aware of things that in certain ways have been happening for over forty years.

• Options

Why do you care though? Is it impacting your life in any way?

Will you be this upset if aTm had another 8-4 season, ten players in this class transfers to other schools and the recruiting class for 2023 is 8th nationally?

• Options

Now tell me what Texas has done historically?... The Yankees are the most valuable MLB franchise, but they haven't won in 12 years. I guess they should just pay their players league minimum until they start winning again.

And yes, it's the product on the field. Texas doesn't invest all that money to go 6-6, do they? Also, I never argued that some universities are getting terrible ROI (Texas being the biggest one). Just like any other business, you can invest heavily, build a nice brand historically, and still fail in the long run (Blockbuster, Pan-AM, etc). Nothing is guaranteed, and it's why we play the game.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NIL = Freedom

America = Freedom

NIL = America

you don't like NIL? Move. The Chinese government has complete control over their athletes from diapers through their athletic careers. Might be better for some of you

• Options

Because I believe it will ruin the college game. It will basically run most programs out of business as they won't be able to keep up with the spending. The NFL recognized it was a serious problem and made new rules...why does anyone think it won't be a problem in college?

• Options

You literally just said that if you don’t perform you won’t make money. Texas hasn’t performed in about 20 years except for maybe 1 year. And they’re number 1 in money. Why does MLB limit what teams can spend. nFl too?

• Options

Freedom is also burning cities down now too. Guess that’s ok