Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Crean Is terrible.

Comments

• manichmanich Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

Well we will have a better all around point guard this coming season. Maybe you should start marinating some crow. It will go down better.😊

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

uga fan logic = Mullen is socially awkward / can’t recruit = hilarious joke …..but TC….

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anthony Antman Edwards could have played for any coach. He chose Tom Crean and was drafted No. 1 overall.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Cool.

That is literally his only accomplishment in his time here. That time should be over. Not sure what Crean has over these beat writers but it is weird. He has gotten worse every year. He has done nothing to show reasons why he should have another year.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

@Kasey Not really, won some big games despite not having the talent of the programs under NCAA and FBI investigation, took down ranked teams from Auburn, Tennessee, beat Memphis twice, including only the second-ever Top 25 non-conference road win in school history

Set attendance records, offense records --- COVID messed up one season, the new transfer rule killed another, especially when he had his two best players hurt before season.

It's not the coach, it's that UGA doesn't pay for great players. It's sad -- but that's where college BB is. UGA makes their kids go to classes, and Crean not on FBI drop. If UGA wants to get down and dirty, hire that sort of coach and go all in. But don't expect to beat programs that are playing by different rules, or in this case, not following the same rules.

I do not care.

what happened this year…losing paycheck games at home, one SEC win, along with all these great players leaving the state is a fireable offense.

getting good players from Atlanta to stay home shouldn’t be a Herculean effort. Anthony Edward’s never seemed to get better his whole season. First overall picks should be able to get their teams to the dance. Crean hasn’t sniffed one here.

Time to go.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now that football is humming along, I was hoping boosters would get a little more involved in NIL for basketball. At least enough to get to the dance every few years, but we shall see. Either way, Mark Fox .549 win % - Crean .394... That's awful no matter how you try to defend it.

Also, not sure why you brought up the Covid year and transfer rule change. Every other coach is playing under those same rules. Not asking for championships, just asking to win more than the guy you replaced. He's yet to even beat Fox's career win % on any given season. .538 is his best season. He went .500 with the #1 pick in the draft. Ouch

• Kirb_your_enthusiasmKirb_your_enthusiasm Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow. I knew things were bad under Crean, but I didn't realize they were that bad.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

…even with mike as his agent…3.2m$ Per to leave it worse than he got it ….end it

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The fans came, we lost. He never made anyone better, we lost. Memphis was highly overrated and at the start of a losing streak at the time of that win. He smiles and I take a step towards my daughter. Man is creepy

If we can win here as you say Mike, then we should hire someone crazy cheap. Anyone just about can lose at this rate.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All of Coach Crean's contemporaries blamed Indiana's administration for his dismissal. Most sighting lack of patience. I just think he lost something. Idk what, but when things don't go well, generally some part of the previously successful equation is missing or has changed. Coach Fox had the number 1 recruiting class in the nation coming in when he was fired. None of those players came to UGA. I'm sure Coach Crean's a real decent guy, but there is no evidence on hand that he is doing or has done a successful job.

Tom Crean is the Dan Mullen of basketball coaches.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip Towers reporting Georgia appears to be focused on four primary targets: Xavier associate head coach Jonas Hayes, Cleveland State head coach Dennis Gates, Wake Forest head coach Steve Forbes and USC head coach Andy Enfield.

Mike G is right - Georgia has not played by the same “rules” as other schools. Kentucky, Florida, Auburn… Don’t go to class, get $$$, and get NIL on top of that. We will never be a tournament team unless the shackles are taken off the way the program behaves. Not sure we will ever do that.