Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Crean Is terrible.

Comments

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pardon the misspelling of Camara. I don’t worry if a bench player leaves for more playing time, but two starters have left. Our team in 2021-22 is out of it before they even get started. This is a sad day for Georgia basketball.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I take back my prior defense of Crean. I don't know what's going on, but with the transfers piled on top of the performance, it's clear we need to make a change. Question is, where do we go from here? Hard to get a a proven basketball coach to come to Athens. Would be interested to know who y'all like for the job. (I have three names but will hold off for now- would rather hear from others.)

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I like this Pitino fella at Iona...doing it up at a small school...might be ready to come to a bigger conference and make a name for himself!!

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have attended more than one basketball practice during Crean's tenure. They were all an absolute joke. No practice plan, no work being put in, no communication between the staff, etc. One reason that a couple are leaving is that there is no structure in his program. Kids need structure and they know it down deep.

• Options
    DawgGirl96DawgGirl96 Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's hope UGA is doing some exit interviews and they take to heart what the players tell them. They might have to make a change sooner than they hoped. Don't see much of an option at this point.

• Options
    Teton82Teton82 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Something isn’t clicking. I get bench players leaving and even a grad transferring looking for something different. But when underclassmen starters transfer you have to wonder.

I read a statement from Tye Fagan that he was crying in his car after he made his decision because he loves UGA, but felt he had to do it. Read between the lines on that statement.

Camara has announced Dayton as his destination. We are losing a good and could be really good SEC starter to a mid-major?!?!

A large majority of the classes he has signed have barely played. Which means, they aren’t as good as rated, don’t fit the style, coaching issues or a combination of the above. He’s had to find grad transfers to fill the holes from these recruiting whiffs. (no offense to these kids)

Looking back at his Indiana teams, many of the same issues with performance and coaching as UGA is seeing. Not sure why McGarrity thought that would change.

Next year not looking too promising.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am far from knowledgeable about college basketball, and I do not have an informed opinion about Tom Crean’s head coaching skills, but 9 players hitting the transfer portal in one year tells me something is drastically wrong with the basketball program.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just a bad look. Results aren't there, players leaving, and the dude is just creepy. I'm not sure based on what factors someone would feel the team outlook is positive.

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One thing that must be done is increase financial investment in the MBP. I saw a report recently that UGA is dead last in the SEC in financial investment. It's a sorry state of affairs when programs like, Ole Miss, Miss St. and Arkansas are out spending you.

They say you get what you pay for!

• Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

transferring is happening at record rates at many. many schools. Even more successful ones. I guess Crean et al will have to adjust to the new reality. Hopefully he can.

• Options
    od_in_denver_dawgod_in_denver_dawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Brooks should fire him asap. His buyout is low. Go after a great coach and pay the man. It's gonna cost $5 million plus. But it's f'n terrible to watch and the **** bammers won't **** about their basketball team now either. Getting real sick of it.

• Options

And what “great” coach would take this job? Coach K? Greg Popovich? Whom do you have in mind?

• Options
    edited May 2021

Don, your point is obviously correct. No "great" coach is going to come to Athens. We probably can't do much better than Crean unless/until we're willing to support the basketball program financially, as @Michael_Scarn pointed out. At present it's just not a priority for the university.

If Josh Brooks wants to fix the problem (that's a big "if"), he could easily announce that we are going double our spending on the basketball program in the next fiscal year, and we could hire a young up-and-coming coach with local ties, like...

• Options

He may one day be a "great" coach, but I don't think he currently deserves that title. If you are ok with calling him "great" then your potential pool of candidates certainly gets larger. We kind of went that way with Mark Fox - good. solid coach at Nevada ? but only so-so in Athens.

• Options
    edited May 2021

Don- you must have posted your reply before having your coffee this morning. Nobody called him "great." (Hayes is not even a HC yet, much less a "great" one.)

I stated clearly that I agreed with your point. That's why I suggested maybe we should try a "young up-and-coming coach with local ties." 😀

• Options

Well, I don't drink coffee but maybe I should start. I thought you started out by saying UGA should hire a great coach. I then asked what great coach would come here. Coach K? Greg Popovich. Just being a bit of a smart ass but not a lot. It's a logical question, at least to me. Then you replied and mentioned coach Hayes and since you wanted to hire great coach, I thought you were offering him up as a great coach that might come to UGA. We agree that he is not yet a great coach - few are, even ones with much more experience than he has. My bad if I read too much (or too little ) in your post.

• Options
    manichmanich Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited May 2021

Well I will push back on most of this negativity. I like the incoming players better than the outgoing. Better athletes, AND 3 point shooters. Crean just needs to bring in another decent point guard and we have a better roster than last year. So 9 players left. So did 9 leave at 3 other SEC teams. The rest has an average of 7 leaving. I am more excited about next seasons team than I would be with all returnees with a few freshmen thrown in.

• Options

I also noticed we weren’t the only team to have a LOT of folks leave. It’s more like the norm. If the new guys are better and we win more, Crean is golden. If this is the new norm, it may take coaches who can adjust to the new realities.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

I can't agree with choosing to stay optimistic when basically all of your team got turned over. It is not a good look at all.

I'd say odds are 5 to 1 that Crean gets fired after this upcoming season and I really have no motivation to watch this team even though we don't know who the point guard is going to be.

I will be around to chomp on my crow if I'm wrong.