Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Time for a New Basketball Coach

CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yet another disappointing UGA basketball L! Absolutely ridiculous, yet expected honestly. Its what happens when you play cupcakes early on in the regular season schedule. Heck if your going to let Richt go for his lack of winning big, time to do the same in basketball. But until UGA gets serious about basketball its all lip service honestly.

Comments

• UGAJ0EUGAJ0E Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Three games in a row where Georgia was the better team for 35 minutes but let the game slip through their fingers. We have the worst guard play in the SEC probably. Parker/Crump/Jackson provide no offense and they can't help but clank threes off the front rim all day. It's frustrating to watch because we are actually talented in spots.

• SwiftyManSwiftyMan Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

McGarity is not going to overpay for a good coach. Just promote Jonas Hayes

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

This is all Jim Chaney’s fault

• j_j_j_s1j_j_j_s1 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree. He needs to go. Why not play Claxton a lot more. He can disrupt more shot. Turtle Jackson just sucks. Need to put somebody else in. It ain't going to hurt us.

• j_j_j_s1j_j_j_s1 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

Plus Maten only getting two shots in the the final 7 minutes. He needs to touch the ball.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mark Richt has lost control of Mark Fox.
    Seriously, I felt sure the team would fade in the end today.
    I'm not down on the players at all, Fox is a horrible motivator and offensive coach.

@j_j_j_s1 said:
    Plus Maten only getting two shots in the the final 7 minutes. He needs to touch the ball.

Fox has the worst sense of offensive pace of any HC since Dean Smith was playing 4 corners stall ball.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

yeah the offensive scheme has never been real creative or good from Fox.

@CoachRob16 said:
    yeah the offensive scheme has never been real creative or good from Fox.

He is also just awful with in game decisions. He seems clueless how to maintain offensive flow.
    He's a good defensive coach, but he's not a good recruiter or offensive coach.
    He would have been smart to hire a top offensive coach and stay out of his way.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think he runs a type of triangle offense. Worked with MJ and Pippen and with Kobe in LA. I think I know what’s missing.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know Mc Garity doesn’t want to pay for a basketball coach, but Ron Hunter from Ga State is a good one.
    Probably get a good deal and with our facilities he should be able to pull top talent.

I know we have some good ones committed, but can Fox coach them up?...

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    I think he runs a type of triangle offense. Worked with MJ and Pippen and with Kobe in LA. I think I know what’s missing.

My grandma could've coached the '96 Bulls to an NBA championship.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Question is who is out there that we could get to come to UGA and stay.?

@donm said:

The triangle doesn't even work in The NFL without all time great talent.
    Look at Phil Jackson's failed experiment with The Knicks.
    No team other than The Kobe, Shaq Lakers and MJ, Pippen Bulls have won a title using it in The NBA and no team has ever won a title running it in college ball.

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@donm said:

My grandma could've coached the '96 Bulls to an NBA championship.

I give Jackson credit for being able to max out great talent, but he's not a great coach without an all time great roster.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

The triangle doesn't even work in The NFL without all time great talent.
    Look at Phil Jackson's failed experiment with The Knicks.
    No team other than The Kobe, Shaq Lakers and MJ, Pippen Bulls have won a title using it in The NBA and no team has ever won a title running it in college ball.

hence. my last sentence.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We don't seem to have any kind of offensive scheme, no screens set and just a lot of standing around till shot clock starts running out. Only way Fox keeps job is to get the recruits he has committed for next year.

@coastaldawg said:
    We don't seem to have any kind of offensive scheme, no screens set and just a lot of standing around till shot clock starts running out. Only way Fox keeps job is to get the recruits he has committed for next year.

To me our biggest shortcoming on offense looks to be too many people standing around, which is a triangle thing. Too many isolation plays where 3 or 4 guys just stand watching.
    A good college offense needs motion to keep everybody involved.
    I really think Fox is near the bottom when it comes to coaching offense.
    I would say he needs to extricate his head from it's hiding place, hire a great offensive coach and stay out of his way, but it's too late for that.
    He's had 9 years and the offense is as bad as ever, the only cure is a new staff.

@coastaldawg said:

No way players committed should factor into the decision, which should be a done deal in my opinion.
    Nothing should save Fox's job now, he's had far more time than he earned already.
    The right HC will attract recruits and Fox will never be a top coach regardless of who he recruits, bottom line, he's not good enough.

@bmauldin said:
    I know Mc Garity doesn’t want to pay for a basketball coach, but Ron Hunter from Ga State is a good one.
    Probably get a good deal and with our facilities he should be able to pull top talent.

I know we have some good ones committed, but can Fox coach them up?...

I wouldn't go after a 53 year old Ron Hunter. If he was going to be THE GUY he'd have gotten there already.
    I want to swing for the fences, not just be marginally better.