Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Infield

BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Freddie at Furst-check
Ozzie at Second-check
Colon at Third?/Schimpf/Ruiz?
Swanson or Camargo at SS?

What y’all think?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

No Jeff Blauser?

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Freddie at Furst-check
    Ozzie at Second-check

What y’all think?

Camargo at third. Boy is a beast on the rise. Can do it all, except hit for power. Was basically a .300 hitter last year with really good fielding. I don't know why the Braves seem so eager to displace him at 3B.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Freddie at Furst-check
    Ozzie at Second-check

What y’all think?

Camargo at third. Boy is a beast on the rise. Can do it all, except hit for power. Was basically a .300 hitter last year with really good fielding. I don't know why the Braves seem so eager to displace him at 3B.

I think the issue with Camargo last year was that his performance at lower levels in the minors hadn't shown that level of performance so there was a sense of is this real, is it sustainable? I totally agree with you that he should be at 3rd. If Dansby struggles then Camargo can also be an insurance policy at SS. My money is on Camargo manning the hot corner until Riley is ready.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    No Jeff Blauser?

No sir. Rafael Ramirez all day. Horner at Third.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Camargo will be at 3B and Swanson at SS. Swanson needs to prove a lot this year in my mind. Hasn't lived up to the hype at all.
    Bring back Lemke and Blauser, with Horner and Fred McGriff on the corners!

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CoachRob16 said:
    Camargo will be at 3B and Swanson at SS. Swanson needs to prove a lot this year in my mind. Hasn't lived up to the hype at all.
    Bring back Lemke and Blauser, with Horner and Fred McGriff on the corners!

No T-P at third?

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Braves are solid in the infield, except for third base. Think Camargo will start season at third, backed up by Ruiz. Would like to see Riley called up later in season if he keeps progressing in minors. Can't wait to see Acuna playing in majors. Some of our young starting pitchers should be ready to join the rotation. If Tehran doesn't put it together this year, it may be time for him to move on.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Braves are solid in the infield, except for third base. Think Camargo will start season at third, backed up by Ruiz. Would like to see Riley called up later in season if he keeps progressing in minors. Can't wait to see Acuna playing in majors. Some of our young starting pitchers should be ready to join the rotation. If Tehran doesn't put it together this year, it may be time for him to move on.

Unfortunately, we are going to use up all of Teheran's good years during these "rebuilding" years. By the time the Braves are competitive he'll be an old man by MLB standards. Need the young pitching to step up, if we want Julio to reap any rewards for being stuck in Atlanta this long. 27 is the age in which most pitchers are at their peak, and will then begin to regress, and that's how old Julio is.

I’m just glad this years rotation has a solid 2 and 3.

I have no clue who will emerge as the 1.

That buffet buster in the rotation last year basically got paid to be a mascot.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    No Jeff Blauser?

GO LEMKE ! We'll need his big bat come playoff time.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Biff Pocoroba catching?

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Biff Pocoroba catching?

My favorite player back in the day. God, those were some awful teams!

Biff catching Knuxie

My ATF Braves we’re Crime Dog, Horner, Murph, Claudell Washington

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

@Bigcalidawg said:

I'm not sure we have any truly solid starters. Even Julio has questions.
    Where are the consistently good 200 plus inning guys ?
    This is the year we need to see some starters deliver.

For perspective.
    Name the starters you trust to pitch close to 200 innings and have an ERA under 4.00.

And Bedrock, Gene Garber and Kimbrel

Auto correct on here is the devil!

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Biff Pocoroba catching?

Who was it said Biff would finish third in a race against a pregnant lady?

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Biff Pocoroba catching?

You beat me to mentioning Biff.

I started following the Braves after my stint as the Yankees AAA Bat Boy in 1979 and running the scoreboard the following three years. During the 1982 Strike, the major league TV Crews were coming to Columbus to televise AAA games. I met the Atlanta Crew and the Yankees Broadcasting Team including the Scooter, Bill White and Mel Allen.

Saw a lot of talent those four years including Cal Ripken, Jr., Don Mattingly and Mookie Wilson. When I moved to Richmond in 1988 it was unreal the talent that they had including David Justice, Chipper Jones, Blauser, Ron Gant and John Smoltz.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DirtDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Biff Pocoroba catching?

Who was it said Biff would finish third in a race against a pregnant lady?

I'm going to guess Skip Carey. Sounds like something he'd say. Had to be him, Ernie Johnson or Pete Van Weiren.

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

I'm not sure we have any truly solid starters. Even Julio has questions.
    Where are the consistently good 200 plus inning guys ?
    This is the year we need to see some starters deliver.

For perspective.
    Name the starters you trust to pitch close to 200 innings and have an ERA under 4.00.

My best guess is Folty will emerge as the #1, Julio will rebound and be #2, Gohara will be our best starter, but have injury problems......

I really like Newcombe and hope he can get it together.