Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Braves Are Good Right now

BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ronnie is on his way. When Camargo gets back....the rotation is filling in....these guys are competing now

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wish it was the last week of the season!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2018

They have opened the season strong and they have some long term talent, but.
    There are some things that are not sustainable as well.
    .220 hitters will usually revert to form, it's highly unlikely some of those contributing to this quick start will be producing in June.
    The key is the development of the young starting pitchers, if Newcomb and others come through, the team will win.

We'll add Acuna, but we have guys like Flaherty, Adams, Tucker and Stewart who have hit like stars so far, but they're not going to produce long term.
    Baseball ALWAYS has anomalies early in seasons where bad teams hit good and good teams hit bad, by season's end they almost always rise or fall to their real levels.
    Looking at it objectively there is real ability with developing hitters like Sawnson, Albies and Acuna, but I'll be shocked if we still lead MLB in runs scored in July.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Starting pitching has been modest, at best. Not good. If the run support hadnt been there we would all be wondering when Sroka and the others in AAA get a chance.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that we may have found something with Tucker. He has always hit well in the minors and was a highly rated prospect, he was just blocked in the Astros system.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Starting pitching will decide how good this Braves' team will be. Hitting will cool off, but hopefully Acuna , Camargo, and Flowers will give them a lift when they get in the lineup. Tehran has to get straightened out, Sanchez doesn't look like he has much as fifth starter. Would like to see a few of our young starting pitchers come up and get experience at some point this year. Everyone has talked about our pitching prospect the last few years, it's time for more of them to start producing a major-league level.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a baseball fan but I was in Atlanta last week and went to the game Tuesday night. Entertaining game, lots of runs. Was my first MLB game and my 8 year old son's first MLB game. Was a good one to go to and fun. The new stadium is nice, plenty of spots around for entertainment, and the Uber pick-up zone is a great idea

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right now, yes.

edited April 2018

@coastaldawg said:
    Starting pitching will decide how good this Braves' team will be. Hitting will cool off, but hopefully Acuna , Camargo, and Flowers will give them a lift when they get in the lineup. Tehran has to get straightened out, Sanchez doesn't look like he has much as fifth starter. Would like to see a few of our young starting pitchers come up and get experience at some point this year. Everyone has talked about our pitching prospect the last few years, it's time for more of them to start producing a major-league level.

Soroka will be up in just a few months and Sanchez will be DFA’d. Soroka may not wow you with his stuff, but he is a bulldog that will throw 200+ innings on an annual basis. Also, he knows how to pitch instead of throw, which is a breath of fresh air in an era of guys just trying to throw it as hard as they can.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    .220 hitters will usually revert to form, it's highly unlikely some of those contributing to this quick start will be producing in June.
    The key is the development of the young starting pitchers, if Newcomb and others come through, the team will win.

We'll add Acuna, but we have guys like Flaherty, Adams, Tucker and Stewart who have hit like stars so far, but they're not going to produce long term.
    Baseball ALWAYS has anomalies early in seasons where bad teams hit good and good teams hit bad, by season's end they almost always rise or fall to their real levels.
    Looking at it objectively there is real ability with developing hitters like Sawnson, Albies and Acuna, but I'll be shocked if we still lead MLB in runs scored in July.

I know Flaherty and Culberson can’t hit, but Camargo is coming back and Tucker is legit.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I know Flaherty and Culberson can’t hit, but Camargo is coming back and Tucker is legit.

Tucker is a 2 week wonder, at least that is all he's done so far.
    Anybody who has followed MLB should know the game is full of flash in the pan performances, it's not at all like football in that way.

Let’s place s friendly wager on Tucker’s season.......

I say he hits .280+ and has 20+ homers this season

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I say he hits .280+ and has 20+ homers this season

When Acuna comes up I don’t think Tucker will get enough AB’s to hit 20 HR. He might exceed his lifetime ave. but it will be tough if he doesn’t get consistent AB’s.

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Anybody who has followed MLB should know the game is full of flash in the pan performances, it's not at all like football in that way.

Again, Tucker has hit at every stop in the minors and has been a highly rated prospect. He was just blocked in the Astros system.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would be a decent rebuttal if 2 weeks wasn’t all we have to go on for the season

I say Markakis gets traded at the break.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg I could see that but I’d hate to lose him but if we get something decent in return and can replace him with tucker I’d be ok (as long as we aren’t in the thick of it)

I also wish we had a spot for Franco, but he’s gotta get traded to play

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Inciarte, Markakis, Albies, Freeman, Acuna, Swanson isn't bad at all. Throw in one or two surprises, (helloooo, Preston Tucker) and our lineup could be stellar. Tehran still needs to put it all together in a bigger way, plus Newcomb and Folty have to continue to throw strikes like they have through the first few games. If things go our way, this team does have a relatively high ceiling. Like some other posters were saying though, it's important not to get wrapped up in early results.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Baseball.... it is what a lot of people do while they're waiting on football season to finally get here again.