Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I’m just gonna say it..

Comments

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:

@pgjackson said:

@a_rattler said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@a_rattler said:
    This is funny. You want Fields ro be more concerned with UGA's best interests than his own. When UGA doesn't need him and can just replace him.

The Fields situation was totally mishandled. It was a wasted year. He should have either been redshirted or been given meaningful chances to develop as a passer during the MANY garbage time moments that UGA had this season.

What does Fields owe UGA anyway? Especially when UGA reserves the right to terminate his scholarship at any time? Schools do it all the time
    Scholarships are not guaranteed. They are renewed on an annual basis. So when you read about kids in good academic standing and aren't problems off the field transferring to some FCS school in the middle of nowhere and thanking the university and fan base for the opportunity that is often what is going on. It is just that some schools are more open about it than others.

You need to remember who has all the money, power and leverage in college athletics. Hint: it isn't the players. Kids who don't look out for their own best interests are naive. Because trust me: the universities will still be fine and the coaches will still get their millions even if they get fired. What is Chizik's buyout again?

If you look out for your own best interests when dealing with your own affairs why act shocked when athletes do the same?

What if he didn't want to redshirt? What if the mishandling was due to pressures from the Felicia camp? That seems very plausible to me.

Fair point. But if UGA was going to play him they did it horribly. They just used him on garbage running plays.

I disagree. He got normal backup QB opportunities...he just chose to do his own thing and run instead of staying int he pocket and throwing. Dude was on the field plenty...he just doesn't seem to know the playbook and can't read a defense.

Here's how I envision the situation:

Coach: "Ok, Justin, I'm putting you in. Take a look at the defense, stay in the pocket, and go through your progressions. Don't run unless you absolutely need to. You came here to become a pocket passer. This is what they do."

Fields: "Ok coach"

Ball is snapped, Fields looks at one receiver....panics and runs for 3 yards.

Coach: "get his ass out of there, put Fromm back in!"

That is a lot of revisionist history. Nearly all those plays were clearly designed runs. Also there were tons of times when even the game announcers were wondering why Fields wasn't getting mop up duty. You are simply waiting to depict his desire to transfer as illegitimate.

Chit, man, the "announcers" aren't competent enough to pronounce our players' names correctly, yet you look at them to evaluate our play calling?

• Options
    BigDawgHuntinBigDawgHuntin Posts: 94 ✭✭✭ Junior

@tlynch1968 said:
    Why is everyone getting so upset. Don't be mad at a player who thought he could come in and start and wasn't able to take the spot from the guy in front of him. Justin Fields is a competitor who wants to make his way to playing on Sundays; UGA in his opinion was not his fastest route. Those of us on here cannot say whether he got a fair shot or not, but the coaches who we have seen play the best player can, and did. Fields may have the impression that Fromm may not go to NFL after next year either. The kid is doing what he thinks is best for him and for his ability to play on Sundays, you cannot blame him for doing that; given the same choice you might do the same. Don't demean him or his family for those things you do not know for a fact. Wish him the best and move on, the fact that Kirby had a backup plan or pulled a backup out of his hat is pretty amazing. GO DAWGS!!!

I think it’s fair to say that (almost) everyone on this board gets the fact that he needs to do what’s best for his career. It’s the timing of the request and how it will be handled that is sour grapes and stinks to high heaven. Just before ESD while reportedly reaching other potential commits? Then preparing to throw the university and the town under the bus with innuendos and accusations of racism- yet it is good enough for his sister? This may all be speculation (and I hope it is), but this cloud will follow the young man wherever he ends up. I honestly feel bad for the kid- he is getting chitty advice from a handler, who probably shares his last name.

• Options
    thegreatwhite1thegreatwhite1 Posts: 93 ✭✭✭ Junior

@a_rattler said:
    What does Fields owe UGA anyway? Especially when UGA reserves the right to terminate his scholarship at any time? Schools do it all the time
    Scholarships are not guaranteed. They are renewed on an annual basis. So when you read about kids in good academic standing and aren't problems off the field transferring to some FCS school in the middle of nowhere and thanking the university and fan base for the opportunity that is often what is going on. It is just that some schools are more open about it than others.

Wrong. NCAA changed the rules on yanking scholarships and messing with a kid’s money for the worse. Used to be the case, but not anymore.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod
    edited December 2018

@texdawg said:
    @scooter dawg I certainly understand your frustration but Justin Fields did nothing to hurt the 2019 recruiting class. Maybe Hasselwood, but that's it.

The coaches weren't surprised and the recruits weren't surprised.

And there is nothing to suggest that he was ever a cancer. That video after the Carolina game was nothing. He just got caught complaining out of frustration.

I can't tell you how many players and families are complaining after every game I've ever coached in. They just didn't get caught saying it.

Cox, Campbell, Cook, etc., etc. have all done it. They just weren't caught. Does not mean they are problems in the locker room.

The biggest problem with this entire Justin Fields situation is "timing". It would have happened if Trevor Lawrence would have committed to Georgia instead of Fields. Turns out Jake Fromm is a pretty good QB and he is just one class ahead of Justin and Trevor.

Fields may turn out to be an amazing QB where ever he ends up - maybe a Heisman winner. And it may just make many of you sick - just don't forget - for the short amount of time that he was at UGA, he wasn't as good as Fromm. He may turn out better - but he didn't stay long enough to find out.

The family may or may not have handled it correctly. Most families aren't prepared or knowledgeable enough to know how to handle it - and even if they were - many fans still wouldn't be happy.

The biggest problem in this whole situation is simple - Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence needed to be at least two years younger than Fromm. It's just timing.

Finally, thankfully Fields did let the coaches know when he did or UGA wouldn't have been able to find another QB in time.

Hate to lose JF but it's best. Wasn't the right time.

Gotta say Texdawg glad your here. Always dropping words of wisedom and maturity. Its just like Kirk Herbstreet said "i'm more surprised he signed with Georgia than i am he's transfering." A better question might be who did we lose out on developing last year because we took Fields?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Steve_Zissou said:
    Is Fields practicing this week? I can’t imagine that being the case, those guys would kill him.
    I agree- could have told the WR recruits in private and announced this weekend

Evidently he is still practicing and will play in the Sugar Bowl, per CKS.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@deutcshland_dawg - I don't believe UGA missed on developing anyone. They had to go all in on both Trevor and Justin. Include Emory Jones and it was an exceptional year for HS QBs in the state of Georgia. Probably will be a long time until we see a state the size of Georgia produce that many elite HS QB prospects in one year.

And ,Oh yeah, they have another highly rated Freshman QB on campus who is about to lead Georgia to the NCG.

Something was going to have to give. And it did. Like I said, you had to go after Fields which means they wouldn't have another QB to develop.

It was just a perfect storm of QB talent in a state with only 1 (ok, two) P5 schools.

I'm a Chaney fan and apologist, I admit it. But if there is one thing I question more than anything - it's how Justin was used this year. Never made sense.

Through my experience as a coach - I feel we make more mistakes trying to over think and manage talent riches. I think coaches do a better job of getting the most out of average talent than they do in trying to manage a lot of talent at one particular position.

And I've said this before - a lot of Dawg fans are going to be frustrated when Justin Fields has a lot of success - because he will. And he may turn out to be better than Fromm. But Fromm was the best choice when they were both on the same campus.

If Fields stayed, I think it's highly likely that he wins the job in spring practice. But not without a fight - Fromm has that "IT" factor. We'll just never know.

That's just my opinion.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greygoose01 your last comment about his (Fields) having to compete? Well said sir!

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg said:
    @deutcshland_dawg - I don't believe UGA missed on developing anyone. They had to go all in on both Trevor and Justin. Include Emory Jones and it was an exceptional year for HS QBs in the state of Georgia. Probably will be a long time until we see a state the size of Georgia produce that many elite HS QB prospects in one year.

And ,Oh yeah, they have another highly rated Freshman QB on campus who is about to lead Georgia to the NCG.

Something was going to have to give. And it did. Like I said, you had to go after Fields which means they wouldn't have another QB to develop.

It was just a perfect storm of QB talent in a state with only 1 (ok, two) P5 schools.

I'm a Chaney fan and apologist, I admit it. But if there is one thing I question more than anything - it's how Justin was used this year. Never made sense.

Through my experience as a coach - I feel we make more mistakes trying to over think and manage talent riches. I think coaches do a better job of getting the most out of average talent than they do in trying to manage a lot of talent at one particular position.

And I've said this before - a lot of Dawg fans are going to be frustrated when Justin Fields has a lot of success - because he will. And he may turn out to be better than Fromm. But Fromm was the best choice when they were both on the same campus.

If Fields stayed, I think it's highly likely that he wins the job in spring practice. But not without a fight - Fromm has that "IT" factor. We'll just never know.

That's just my opinion.

What in the world leads you to believe Fields is anywhere near Fromm? Take away all the HS hype, focus only on on-field performance. Fields right now (after 13 games) isn't even close to where Fromm was last year against ND. The gap is wide. Fields has some advantages, but Fromm is a total package rarely seen.

• Options
    HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Steve_Zissou said:
    Is Fields practicing this week? I can’t imagine that being the case, those guys would kill him.
    I agree- could have told the WR recruits in private and announced this weekend

Or announced when there was something to announce....right now that doesn't appear to be the case.

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think we dodged a bullet with Hasselwood, with fields gone hopefully we've cut out the cancer. Fields had it made here but was far to short sighted to see it. Glad hasselwood isn't coming and Fields is gone. Only regret is him going with us to the Sugar Bowl, they ought to set his stuff out beside the road.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@texdawg said:

That's just my opinion.

What in the world leads you to believe Fields is anywhere near Fromm? Take away all the HS hype, focus only on on-field performance. Fields right now (after 13 games) isn't even close to where Fromm was last year against ND. The gap is wide. Fields has some advantages, but Fromm is a total package rarely seen.

Tap the brakes. I definitely said Fromm was the guy. Have been all year. But Fields is talented. Just said if Fields stuck around in the spring he would have a chance to beat out Fromm. But we'll never know.

I get that Fromm is a special. I've been involved in the game for a very long time - I do understand a few things.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty13 said:
    I think we dodged a bullet with Hasselwood, with fields gone hopefully we've cut out the cancer. Fields had it made here but was far to short sighted to see it. Glad hasselwood isn't coming and Fields is gone. Only regret is him going with us to the Sugar Bowl, they ought to set his stuff out beside the road.

I agree, at this point I want JF1 gone. However, do we wanna go to New Orleans to play Texas with 0 backup QB? Unfortunately we kinda need him there and suited up just in case JF11 gets injured (knock on wood).

• Options
    edited December 2018

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

I agree, at this point I want JF1 gone. However, do we wanna go to New Orleans to play Texas with 0 backup QB? Unfortunately we kinda need him there and suited up just in case JF11 gets injured (knock on wood).

I think we can beat UT with whoever the 3rd string QB is. Kirby said something at the end of the report about Fields having to find a new school soon because classes start Jan 8th. Made it sound like he was saying that he would like Fields to stay on the team and play in the Sugar, but it's not likely because if he intends to leave he needs to go now. I guess if Fields wants to be like an early enrollee at a different school, he can't wait till after the bowl game.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

I think we can beat UT with whoever the 3rd string QB is. Kirby said something at the end of the report about Fields having to find a new school soon because classes start Jan 8th. Made it sound like he was saying that he would like Fields to stay on the team and play in the Sugar, but it's not likely because if he intends to leave he needs to go now. I guess if Fields wants to be like an early enrollee at a different school, he can't wait till after the bowl game.

Perhaps but shouldn't he really be on the ball school searching and not getting plenty of reps and looking "sharp" at practice today? This whole situation is weird. Check out Mike Griffiths new article if you haven't already.
    In regards to our 3rd string QB against Texas, you're probably right if he's needed, say, late in the 2nd half. However, god forbid, if JF11 goes down 2 mins into the game, we may need JF1 to bail us out. Idk this all s.u.c.k.s.

• Options

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

Perhaps but shouldn't he really be on the ball school searching and not getting plenty of reps and looking "sharp" at practice today? This whole situation is weird. Check out Mike Griffiths new article if you haven't already.
    In regards to our 3rd string QB against Texas, you're probably right if he's needed, say, late in the 2nd half. However, god forbid, if JF11 goes down 2 mins into the game, we may need JF1 to bail us out. Idk this all s.u.c.k.s.

The bowl is truly unimportant right now. We have the #2 recruiting class. I doubt any of them will decommit if we lose to UT. Winning the bowl won't attract more commits either.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

The bowl is truly unimportant right now. We have the #2 recruiting class. I doubt any of them will decommit if we lose to UT. Winning the bowl won't attract more commits either.

Wait, who are you referring to? I was saying we may need JF1 to win sugar bowl in case of JF11 injury. Not sure what you mean by people decommiting.

• Options

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

Wait, who are you referring to? I was saying we may need JF1 to win sugar bowl in case of JF11 injury. Not sure what you mean by people decommiting.

I am saying the bowl game is unimportant right now. It doesn't matter to us if we win it or lose it. If we lose it, what's the worst thing that can happen? Will we lose recruits? No. We will still go into 2019 as a top 5 team absolutely LOADED across the board. Maybe a bit thin in experience at QB, but the Mathis kids looks great. I'd prefer to let Fields sit in his stink and leave before the bowl. We will do just fine without him.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

I am saying the bowl game is unimportant right now. It doesn't matter to us if we win it or lose it. If we lose it, what's the worst thing that can happen? Will we lose recruits? No. We will still go into 2019 as a top 5 team absolutely LOADED across the board. Maybe a bit thin in experience at QB, but the Mathis kids looks great. I'd prefer to let Fields sit in his stink and leave before the bowl. We will do just fine without him.

I agree we'll be fine without Fields. I'm with the majority of fans that want him gone. Him and his camp would have to do a whole slew of things before he'd ever get my support to be a Dawg again. But the Sugar Bowl is still important for many reasons on up to just having the extra practice. No I don't think losing it would do anything for current recruits but having a sugar bowl win on your resume does help with future recruits. How could it not? As a fan I'm not looking at this game like, "Eh, who cares if we win or lose". I hope we win and I'm guessing Kirby does as well. Winning equals his job security. My guess is he'd like to bring JF1 along to New Orleans just in case the worst case scenario happens, which is kinda my whole point.

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    We got everyone we wanted today except Sanders and on top of it landed a surprise signing day flip in Mathis. Don't let the Fields debacle mess up a good day.

I will say this... if Fields is really transferring then if I'm Kirby and tell Justin to walk... NOW, no Bowl game.

Or tell him to plan on about 10 snaps but then sit him all game...