Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What you watch during the off season?

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    So I have to admit that I'm for some reason a big fan of terrorism/espionage stuff....I always liked spy books and movies as a kid and I guess the cold war turned into the war on terror in that genre. Liked Jack Ryan a lot, early Homeland, The Looming Tower on Amazon, and probably others. Anyone have any recs in that general area?

Oh, and tell me about this supercross? I guess I really am old because when I think of bikes I think of like xgames or stunt guys. I know there's racing but I didn't know it was televised. Should I check it out if really bored?

Scooter bro it’s really awesome... you can catch it on NBC or buy the NBC gold pass app and stream it. I feel like most people have that same thought when it comes to moto.

Supercross is from winter to summer racing in stadiums. It’s tight, fast pace, and high risk racing. The track has a bunch of jumps that are spread out allowing for different jumping sequences. It on the rider to figure out what is the fastest way to go

Oh boy, then there is motocross. From summer to fall, the same racers are riding outdoors on tracks that are totally different from what you would see in Supercross. The track layout is wide open. Motocross is where racing began.

I really do not know much about freestyle other than it’s completely different and Travis Pastrana at the time was both racing and doing Freestyle.

I could go on and on. I love dirt bikes/bikes in general. Honestly, my favorite type of racing which isn’t on tv is called harscrambles. It 2-3 hr racing through the woods.

Ok, I’ll stop... check it out sometime.

• Options

@AnotherDawg said:
    Count me in on the DN book club @JRT812 & @Kasey! I am a regular reader and happy to share recommendations.

On the TV side, best shows I've seen in the last few years that may be available on Netflix, Amazon, or other on-demand/streaming services:

Black Mirror
    Broadchurch
    Mindhunter
    The Missing
    The Night Of
    Patrick Melrose
    Sherlock
    Stranger Things

And unless you're just not a fan of fantasy in any shape or form, Game of Thrones is certainly the best binge-watching option, especially with the final (7th) season coming up.

Edit: @scooterdawg

Glad to have ya anotherdawg bro. You know, I was really wrong about stranger things. Tried it when it first came out and thought it wasn’t for me. A buddy convinced me to try it again this past summer. It was a really great show and can’t wait for the new season.

I had the same feelings about GOT and gave up. I know it’s a hit for a ton of people so I may give it another try

• Options
    DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have YouTube TV. Unlimited DVR- I highly recommend it over cable and only $35/month. I've got every Dawg game from the past two seasons saved. Going to rewatch all of them again, I always watch them live and then once again that week.
    I'm really interested to chart the offense under Cheney and pay special attention to Cox, Davis and Anderson on defense.

Outside of that Jack Ryan on Amazon is great,

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can explain motox JRT, but if they have never dropped the gate with 20 other riders, well you know.

• Options

@DGDinNYC said:
    I have YouTube TV. Unlimited DVR- I highly recommend it over cable and only $35/month. I've got every Dawg game from the past two seasons saved. Going to rewatch all of them again, I always watch them live and then once again that week.
    I'm really interested to chart the offense under Cheney and pay special attention to Cox, Davis and Anderson on defense.

Cable and Comcast can’t kick rocks. Unfortunately, I still use Comcast for Internet because it’s the only high speed I can get in my area. I haven’t missed a game or really anything other the falcons games. I haven’t bought the NFL pass because they are worth watching haha. I’ll save a buck and read about the loss instead of watching.

Honestly, though cutting the cord has proven to be a excellent decision. I’m interested in the YouTube thing and heard it was really good.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@DGDinNYC said:

Cable and Comcast can’t kick rocks. Unfortunately, I still use Comcast for Internet because it’s the only high speed I can get in my area. I haven’t missed a game or really anything other the falcons games. I haven’t bought the NFL pass because they are worth watching haha. I’ll save a buck and read about the loss instead of watching.

Honestly, though cutting the cord has proven to be a excellent decision. I’m interested in the YouTube thing and heard it was really good.

What makes the YouTube thing really good,is you pay $10/month and you get their music service where you can listen to any song in their entire vast catalog and they take all the ads off YouTube. It’s the same price as competing music services like Spotify, Apple Music, but you also get the ads off YouTube.

Of course I have a car radio that lets me listen to music off my phone. If I didn’t have that, I don’t know that I would consider it as good of a deal.

$15/month gets you a family plan where up to six people can share the Google service.

• Options

@scooterdawg said:
    So I have to admit that I'm for some reason a big fan of terrorism/espionage stuff....I always liked spy books and movies as a kid and I guess the cold war turned into the war on terror in that genre. Liked Jack Ryan a lot, early Homeland, The Looming Tower on Amazon, and probably others. Anyone have any recs in that general area?

Oh, and tell me about this supercross? I guess I really am old because when I think of bikes I think of like xgames or stunt guys. I know there's racing but I didn't know it was televised. Should I check it out if really bored?

I couldn’t stand a Jack Ryan. I only made it through an episode and a half. I thought it was too melodramatic. But if you liked that series, there’s another one I didn’t love for the same reason. But it was good enough I made it through the first three season. It’s called Blacklist and is available on Netflix. I did enjoy it. But it was like a guilty pleasure for me because the show had some fairly predictable melodrama. And I was just like, “why the hell are you watching this?” But then later that night, I’d be back in front of the TV watching it again. If some melodrama doesn’t bother you, you should check out Blacklist.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@orlando said:
    Oh> @donm said:

@AndersonDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@texdawg said:

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    A bunch of stuff on Netflix. Just finished watching Peaky Blinders. What a great series... can't wait for Season 5 to start!

Peaky Blinders was really good.

My Netflix favorite was Longmire.

Really liked Longmire also.

If you like Longmire, you would like Justified on Amazon Prime. 2 of my favorites.

I’ve watched justified twice all the way thru. Most excellent!

Oh, Sons of Anarchy was good too

Oh yeah. Classic ending to the series. It's follow up, Mayans is OK. Maybe a notch below but good.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

Haven't watched those you mentioned but try American Odyssey on Netflix. 1 season, 13 episodes

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I watch 8 hours of Bugs Bunny cartoons on a given day.

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mostly watch the calendar. Sept. 31 can't get here soon enough!

• Options

@WCDawg said:

Multitasking! You're on here 24/7

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Grace & Frankie on Netflix

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RPMdawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I've been on here maybe 1 hour over the past 3 days.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I've been on here maybe 1 hour over the past 3 days.

It was just an early morning ribbing. As I dont really think you watch 8 hours of BB. Or do you?

• Options

@PlayHurt said:

Are you a girl?

• Options

@levander said:

@PlayHurt said:

Are you a girl?

Levander bro have you not seen the Gillette commercial

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@PlayHurt said:

Are you a girl?

No, I haven’t. That’s part of not being toxic masculine? Not considering some shows chick flicks?

• Options
    edited January 2019

@levander said:

@JRT812 said:

@levander said:

@PlayHurt said:

Are you a girl?

No, I haven’t. That’s part of not being toxic masculine? Not considering some shows chick flicks?

just a joke bro. I understand sarcasm isn’t really translated well through texts. Just messing around.

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@PlayHurt said:

Are you a girl?

It was a joke!