Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Books

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
    I saw the Hoffman version of In Cold Blood and bought the book the next day. Capote or Steinbeck are my favorite. 
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

I think Hoffman played in a bio-pic about the events surrounding Capote's experiences with the killers and researching the Clutter murders Kasey. It wasn't really In Cold Blood, unless I'm missing something which is always possible.

• Options
    @WCDawg no you’re right. It’s also been 14 years since I saw the movie so somethings aren’t in the bank like they used to be
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No problem Kasey, I can't recall who did star in the remake. of ICB.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not the movie in question but the late Philip Seymour Hoffman did Capote better than Capote.

• Options
    cschuler13cschuler13 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Junior

Found this in the forum and thought I'd bring it back to the top. Anybody read any good books lately?

Another question for the avid book readers: what is the best book you have ever read?

Mine would be either Tuesdays with Morrie or The Sun Also Rises.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just funny that some of the topics on the board’s front page are:

Favorite slow song

Books

I’m selling a green shirt if you want one

National tequila day

When is football season again? Btw, did anyone say the Bible yet for best book? If not, I’ll say it.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am re -reading Ball Four. Seems boring now, 30 years later. Hard to remember what all the excitement was about.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Per Bankwalker’s suggestion I read two Neal Boortz books on Fair Tax. Found them to be very informative and thought provoking.

• Options
    JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,563 admin

Literary folks, eh? You mean people still read?

Take these next few for a spin. Thank me later.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've read "The Things They Carried" and "Where Men Win Glory". I'm a big Krakauer fan ever since I read his Everest book "Into Thin Air", though admittedly I was less into "Into The Wild" than most.

Love "The Sun Also Rises" My favorite Hemingway book @cschuler13

• Options

Into the Wild is my least favorite of his. Mccandless comes off as selfish in it

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

on almost any forum the off-topic section tends to be one of the busiest/most active sub-forums. posters get to "know" each other and branch out. similar interests and all.

• Options

young, idealistic, a dreamer. had he lived I am sure by his 30s or 40s he would have a different outlook.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enemy at the Gates is a great military history book about the battle for Stalingrad in WWII. (It’s very different from the movie of the same name.) The battle was insane and considered to be the turning point of the war. Consider 729,000 died in this one battle. (Compared to 407,000 Americans in the entire war.)

• Options

I don't disagree that he doesn't come across particularly well at times. but I view him as intelligent, a dreamer, very idealistic, disillusioned with the modern world and wanted to escape. I think a lot of young people feel that to varying degrees. but very few actually give up everything (he came from an upper middle class family and graduated from Emory) and chase that feeling. most of us rebel in our own way and then eventually grow up