Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Looks like their learning allot at the UGA

Comments

• Options
    shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

@VaBeachDawg said:

@EricDawgs1 said:

This is America. You can say it's not but ask any black person especially in the south.this is how it is.

Just so we are clear, are you using this anecdotal chart to support the TAs position?

Did I miss the answer to this question??? Or was it never answered????

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@shhmitty said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@EricDawgs1 said:

This is America. You can say it's not but ask any black person especially in the south.this is how it is.

Just so we are clear, are you using this anecdotal chart to support the TAs position?

Did I miss the answer to this question??? Or was it never answered????

Yet to be addressed but I feel pretty safe assuming what his answer would be at this point.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

The OP, is sharing from his vantage point. I don’t ageee with violence, if it’s not self defense, but if anyone can show me any movement in the history our country that wasn’t born of violence, I’ll hang up and listen. I believe, this TA, is reflecting on historical use of violence to try and invoke change. It’s misguided, but he is entitled to his thoughts. I’m a firm believer we have to interact with folks who don’t look like us to better understand them, without that, nothing changes.

Was the movement for Women's Suffrage in the US violent, other than those who tried to ue violence against the movement?

A white student confronted the TA during one his lectures, and recorded the exchange. The TA was teaching that every community in Georgia supports and raises white supremacists. He was 100% spewing this garbage in the classroom. He needs to go. Very disappointed the school hasn't taken action, and maybe they will after a more thorough review and making sure everything is done through the proper channels. I don't have a lot of faith in them to do the right thing, because even if they do then it will be intentionally misrepresented to make the entire University look bad.

• Options

@EricDawgs1 said:

@BamaDawg said:

@EricDawgs1 said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@PlayHurt said:
    Wow. Looks like EVERY white athlete in any sport at UGA could now transfer out and play immediately at the next school.

I’ve heard it’s impossible to be marginalized as a white person. No such thing as prejudice against a white person....so I’ve been told.

That's right when you have been privileged since 400yrs ago.it will never be a fair playing field in America. It's not hate what I'm saying but just truth.

That's the lazy way out. Blame it on the past.

By the way, where did you get 400 years? Unless I am mistaken the United States has only been a county for about 242 years (give or take).

Had slaves b4 America was a country over here.how you think stuff got built whites **** sure didnt do it.

In 1860, 32% of the white families in the States that seceded owned slaves. The actual numbers vary, but no state was above 50%. Arkansas was at 20%. So yeah, white people DID build things, and usually cleared their own land. You should at least get yourself informed if you are going to lecture us on something.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Racism exists on both sides of the fence. No such thing as reverse racism, it’s just racism. We all see color, fact. Most choose not to make their decisions based on color, I believe that is a fact. In the south, there’s a higher % of those who choose to make decisions based on color, I believe that is a fact.

People live in fear on both sides of the fence. Many blacks fear whites. Many whites fear blacks. Virtually no one wants to acknowledge the fear, which perpetuates cycles of cultural misunderstandings. You build a wall out of fear. You don’t talk to the cops out of fear. You don’t go into certain neighborhoods out of fear...get the gist?

Forms of bigotry exists in most of us, deriving from a lack of understanding of each other’s cultures. By definition, simply labeling folks as left or right (liberal or conservative) is a form of bigotry especially in today’s America; the lines in the sand are drawn, and by in large the principles are defended vs. individual topics. I’d wager virtually everyone on this board is liberal about certain things, conservative about others. Human nature. Inject political rhetoric into discussion and the line is drawn across the board, void of zero desire to understand the counter argument.

The OP, is sharing from his vantage point. I don’t ageee with violence, if it’s not self defense, but if anyone can show me any movement in the history our country that wasn’t born of violence, I’ll hang up and listen. I believe, this TA, is reflecting on historical use of violence to try and invoke change. It’s misguided, but he is entitled to his thoughts. I’m a firm believer we have to interact with folks who don’t look like us to better understand them, without that, nothing changes.

Yes, the TA is free to believe whatever he wants. But someone who thinks white people need to die shouldn't be molding future generations... HitIer thought a certain race(s) should die, do you want him teaching at UGA? After all, he's free to believe what he wants, and did change history with violence... How do you think it would go for a white professor saying that he thinks black people need to die to better our society? Kinda sounds like the KKK doesn't it?

I agree. If I read correctly, I did just read the cliffs as that’s all the attention I wanted to devote to it, he made that statement from a personal FB account. I do not believe he’s teaching these principles at UGA. If I’m wrong, admin should take immediate corrective action.

If I’m right, he’s no different than David Duke, and only is relevant if we lend him an audience.

If I read it correctly the first post(s) was from some kinda of official social media account. It was removed and then he doubled down on his personal account when questioned about it.

You are correct that changes often comes along with violence, but this guy is using change to morally justify violence, past or present, against “white people.” Ends justifying the means logic can be used to morally validate literally anything you want. That is a dangerous person. If you think he is only this way on his personal account and not in the classroom I think you are being naive.

Being a graduate of UGA, I doubt highly he was teaching these principles in the classroom, especially as a TA. If he was, you’re right, I am naive, and would be extremely disappointed in my school. I need further evidence to support that he was in fact teaching in classroom and I reserve my right to change my opinion as the facts change.

I agree it’s not part of curriculum or anything, but back in my day I had a biology professor who would spend the first 15 minutes of every lecture updating all 400 of us on the days current events and how **** George W Bush was. Personal opinion is injected everywhere, sometimes it’s just more forward than others.

Think about the demographic majority of UGA. How do you think expressing that opinion in a classroom would go over?

I get where you are coming from, but you are talking about young people who are yet to be grounded in any principles from their specific life experiences (by and large) and are in the middle of an environment where challenging the status quo and being progressive minded is not only encouraged its celebrated.

And to reinforce my point just look at the schools responses to these two situations: Sasser was bounced almost right away, this guy was immediately defended by the school sighting his first amendment rights. That sets the tone whether it’s right or not.

I agree. It’s not fair or right, but every reasonable mind knew Sasser was done at UGA immediately. Not much at UGA is more important than football, although you’ll never hear that mentioned by anyone of stature. Let’s see what happens to the TA in next few weeks before drawing conclusions. I’d imagine this is a hot topic right now.

Why should we have to wait weeks to draw conclusions? The Baseball player was gone within days. Sasser's thoughts are crystal clear and it's apparent this isn't his first episode of racially toxic rhetoric. There's absolutely no room for interpretation or a double standard.

Is it a double standard if theyre both dismissed?

EDIT: any delays likely have everything to do with legal recourse more than anything else. Lawyers will navigate every scenario before giving the green light. Being prudent is never a bad thing.

There has to be consistency of enforcement. If UGA has a no tolerance policy for racially denigrating communications or verbal exchanges, the rules must apply to all. I get YaleDawg's stated issue that this may be tricky, because Sasser is a government employee, but the precedent has been set by which others in government positions have been fired for similar actions.

Sasser must go, period.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Racism exists on both sides of the fence. No such thing as reverse racism, it’s just racism. We all see color, fact. Most choose not to make their decisions based on color, I believe that is a fact. In the south, there’s a higher % of those who choose to make decisions based on color, I believe that is a fact.

People live in fear on both sides of the fence. Many blacks fear whites. Many whites fear blacks. Virtually no one wants to acknowledge the fear, which perpetuates cycles of cultural misunderstandings. You build a wall out of fear. You don’t talk to the cops out of fear. You don’t go into certain neighborhoods out of fear...get the gist?

Forms of bigotry exists in most of us, deriving from a lack of understanding of each other’s cultures. By definition, simply labeling folks as left or right (liberal or conservative) is a form of bigotry especially in today’s America; the lines in the sand are drawn, and by in large the principles are defended vs. individual topics. I’d wager virtually everyone on this board is liberal about certain things, conservative about others. Human nature. Inject political rhetoric into discussion and the line is drawn across the board, void of zero desire to understand the counter argument.

Yes, the TA is free to believe whatever he wants. But someone who thinks white people need to die shouldn't be molding future generations... HitIer thought a certain race(s) should die, do you want him teaching at UGA? After all, he's free to believe what he wants, and did change history with violence... How do you think it would go for a white professor saying that he thinks black people need to die to better our society? Kinda sounds like the KKK doesn't it?

I agree. If I read correctly, I did just read the cliffs as that’s all the attention I wanted to devote to it, he made that statement from a personal FB account. I do not believe he’s teaching these principles at UGA. If I’m wrong, admin should take immediate corrective action.

If I’m right, he’s no different than David Duke, and only is relevant if we lend him an audience.

Again, what do you think would happen to a white TA that posted on Facebook that black people need to die in order to advance our society?

I think what you’re not factoring in here is history Teddy. Black people have already been killed in masses for the advancement of American society; slavery. You’re taking the position that it should be equal, you’re not wrong, but it also doesn’t make you right. Too complicated for a message board discussion but I know you can read between the lines there. Fear in this country is not equal. I’ve worked closely with young kids, Black, White, Hispanic and it’s disheartening what they know and how they view their place in society.

For the record, understanding that he posted from an official site, he should be terminated so UGA can seperate itself from the views of an individual.

Sorry that I think things should be equal, my bad. I'm not sure what slavery has to do with this discussion. As I don't need to understand history to know that nowhere in our society should we accept someone saying a certain race needs to die, it's really that simple. It was your "ho-hum" reaction to what this educator said and were still ok with him keeping his position at a public university that made me reply to you. For the record, I agree with the rest of your OP.

Ho-hum? I’ll need you to define that. No need to patronize either, I get what you’re trying to say. You may not want to admit it but you know full well what slavery has to do with this. It’s the reason you chose to draw the parallel with Hitler and his persecution of Jews. Oppression is oppression. The Genesis of oppression of the black American is slavery; that’s the root of it all. In the south, it’s called culture and heritage. How can one ask black folks to get over slavery if the same won’t let the civil war go? We can ignore that if we choose to, but it’s the elephant in the room. Native Americans probably feel the same way, their collective voices just aren’t loud enough because they were eradicated.

My take on the TA I’ve already stated. I’m not dismissing what he feels, but I’m dismissing his importance. I also believe he’ll be dismissed by the university in short order, especially if he was teaching this in the classroom. If you want me to grab my gun and camp out, I’m not going to do that. I don’t feel the need to give him any more credence than he’s already received. I’d imagine that he’s already won in his mind; he wanted exposure for his inflammatory statement. He’s misguided, but who am I to tell him how he should feel or think?

Ho-hum, as in not worthy of us worrying about what he said. As in, we shouldn't worry that a TA at a public university wants a particular race to die? Also, I'm not asking you to camp out, but to call a spade a spade, or a racist a racist. That's what this guy is. I drew the HitIer comparison, as this TA has similar views to HitIer (wants people of a very particular race to die so that his race can benefit).

You're really overstating the percentage of people that "won't let the Civil War go." These people are an exception, not the norm. Either way, painting oppression so vaguely (as in ancestors of slavery vs. Civil War supporters) isn't going to get us anywhere as a society, we need to punish each specific act of oppression/racism individually. Like Sasser deserved and received his punishment, and now this guy should too.

• Options

What a load of chit. Sasser wasn't doing anything related to baseball. The school expels students all the time for things they do outside of their campus life. ALL. THE. TIME.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

What a load of chit. Sasser wasn't doing anything related to baseball. The school expels students all the time for things they do outside of their campus life. ALL. THE. TIME.

Soooooo my next question to UGA: so What Sasser said was in an official capacity and as a representative of the university?

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Again, what do you think would happen to a white TA that posted on Facebook that black people need to die in order to advance our society?

I think what you’re not factoring in here is history Teddy. Black people have already been killed in masses for the advancement of American society; slavery. You’re taking the position that it should be equal, you’re not wrong, but it also doesn’t make you right. Too complicated for a message board discussion but I know you can read between the lines there. Fear in this country is not equal. I’ve worked closely with young kids, Black, White, Hispanic and it’s disheartening what they know and how they view their place in society.

For the record, understanding that he posted from an official site, he should be terminated so UGA can seperate itself from the views of an individual.

Sorry that I think things should be equal, my bad. I'm not sure what slavery has to do with this discussion. As I don't need to understand history to know that nowhere in our society should we accept someone saying a certain race needs to die, it's really that simple. It was your "ho-hum" reaction to what this educator said and were still ok with him keeping his position at a public university that made me reply to you. For the record, I agree with the rest of your OP.

Ho-hum? I’ll need you to define that. No need to patronize either, I get what you’re trying to say. You may not want to admit it but you know full well what slavery has to do with this. It’s the reason you chose to draw the parallel with Hitler and his persecution of Jews. Oppression is oppression. The Genesis of oppression of the black American is slavery; that’s the root of it all. In the south, it’s called culture and heritage. How can one ask black folks to get over slavery if the same won’t let the civil war go? We can ignore that if we choose to, but it’s the elephant in the room. Native Americans probably feel the same way, their collective voices just aren’t loud enough because they were eradicated.

My take on the TA I’ve already stated. I’m not dismissing what he feels, but I’m dismissing his importance. I also believe he’ll be dismissed by the university in short order, especially if he was teaching this in the classroom. If you want me to grab my gun and camp out, I’m not going to do that. I don’t feel the need to give him any more credence than he’s already received. I’d imagine that he’s already won in his mind; he wanted exposure for his inflammatory statement. He’s misguided, but who am I to tell him how he should feel or think?

Ho-hum, as in not worthy of us worrying about what he said. As in, we shouldn't worry that a TA at a public university wants a particular race to die? Also, I'm not asking you to camp out, but to call a spade a spade, or a racist a racist. That's what this guy is. I drew the HitIer comparison, as this TA has similar views to HitIer (wants people of a very particular race to die so that his race can benefit).

You're really overstating the percentage of people that "won't let the Civil War go." These people are an exception, not the norm. Either way, painting oppression so vaguely (as in ancestors of slavery vs. Civil War supporters) isn't going to get us anywhere as a society, we need to punish each specific act of oppression/racism individually. Like Sasser deserved and received his punishment, and now this guy should too.

My first post in this thread started off by saying racism is racism. I went on to say there’s no such thing as reverse racism, acknowledging that a black guy said these things. So, I did call a spade a spade.

I never referenced a % of supporters of the cival war, but the cival war was in fact led by southerners supporting slavery. That is fact is the heritage/culture is southern based. Just stated a fact so I disagree your take that I’m with overstating a %.

As to your third point in “vaguely painting oppression isnt going to get us anywhere as a society”, neither is ignoring it, clearly. It’s still the Genesis of what’s going on here, which is also a fact. So if you have an go between a wide brush statement that I made “oppression is oppression” vs. ignoring it on message board, I’d go for that.

I agree that UGA should take action and I’m willing to pause to see how it plays out.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

This is the difference between sasser and the TA. Sasser said the N-word at a football game which is a public, university sanctioned event with students. Another student that heard him say it reported the event to the OEO which found he violated equal opportunity rules. I believe he was dismissed from the team and not the university. The TA has yet to be reported to the OEO for something he did while teaching so he can't be investigated for violating equal opportunity rules. He made these statements in a private capacity which gives him 1st amendment protections that include hate speech. The on campus thing you are referring to was a club meeting of some sort. Clubs can rent rooms on campus but they are private events. UGA is a government organization and they have to follow the constitution. As soon as he says something like that while teaching he's gone, but firing him without that event would be illegal.

• Options
    JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@YaleDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

This is the difference between sasser and the TA. Sasser said the N-word at a football game which is a public, university sanctioned event with students. Another student that heard him say it reported the event to the OEO which found he violated equal opportunity rules. I believe he was dismissed from the team and not the university. The TA has yet to be reported to the OEO for something he did while teaching so he can't be investigated for violating equal opportunity rules. He made these statements in a private capacity which gives him 1st amendment protections that include hate speech. The on campus thing you are referring to was a club meeting of some sort. Clubs can rent rooms on campus but they are private events. UGA is a government organization and they have to follow the constitution. As soon as he says something like that while teaching he's gone, but firing him without that event would be illegal.

That doesn’t matter, there’s been a many of female and male teachers get fired for sexual misconduct at their house in their own time with a student. You can spin this any way you want but the bottoms line is, if it were the other way around and he was not a minority, he’d be gone

• Options

@Bankwalker said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Was the movement for Women's Suffrage in the US violent, other than those who tried to ue violence against the movement?

A white student confronted the TA during one his lectures, and recorded the exchange. The TA was teaching that every community in Georgia supports and raises white supremacists. He was 100% spewing this garbage in the classroom. He needs to go. Very disappointed the school hasn't taken action, and maybe they will after a more thorough review and making sure everything is done through the proper channels. I don't have a lot of faith in them to do the right thing, because even if they do then it will be intentionally misrepresented to make the entire University look bad.

Thanks for sharing this...got a link to the vid?

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg said:

My first post in this thread started off by saying racism is racism. I went on to say there’s no such thing as reverse racism, acknowledging that a black guy said these things. So, I did call a spade a spade.

I never referenced a % of supporters of the cival war, but the cival war was in fact led by southerners supporting slavery. That is fact is the heritage/culture is southern based. Just stated a fact so I disagree your take that I’m with overstating a %.

As to your third point in “vaguely painting oppression isnt going to get us anywhere as a society”, neither is ignoring it, clearly. It’s still the Genesis of what’s going on here, which is also a fact. So if you have an go between a wide brush statement that I made “oppression is oppression” vs. ignoring it on message board, I’d go for that.

I agree that UGA should take action and I’m willing to pause to see how it plays out.

"I never referenced a % of supporters of the cival war, but the cival war was in fact led by southerners supporting slavery. That is fact is the heritage/culture is southern based. Just stated a fact so I disagree your take that I’m with overstating a %."... Because Southerners owned slaves a little longer than Northerners, Southerners are this day in age being raised more racist 200 years later? Either way, you called it the elephant in the room. I'm taking that as the big chunk of the issue no one is addressing, when it's a very small percent of the issue.

"As to your third point in “vaguely painting oppression isn't going to get us anywhere as a society”, neither is ignoring it, clearly."... I'm not ignoring racism, I said it needs to be called out and dealt with on an individual basis. Ta-da, there's your solution. Let's treat the small percentage of racists in this country on their own, and not paint them as some overpowering majority when they are in the minority.

Also, since the south seems to be the main issue for you, you might want to read this article... https://www.theroot.com/is-the-south-more-racist-than-other-parts-of-the-us-1820893655

At least we agree racism exists and is a terrible thing. But according to the stats/article above, it's less racist than the rest of the country.

• Options

@Jesupdawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

That doesn’t matter, there’s been a many of female and make readers get fired for sexual misconduct at their house in their own time with a student. You can spin this any way you want but the bottoms line is, if it were the other way around and he was not a minority, he’d be gone

Make readers? Yeah, you can't have sex with students you teach. That's a rule anywhere you go. Sexual misconduct as in breaking the law is also a fireable offense. Not sure how that relates to the 1st amendment. It's not spin that's just the law and rules. Sasser broke the rules and was punished. No one has shown that the TA broke the rules. You can disagree with him all you want but firing him would be illegal and a clear violation of the 1st amendment.

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Thanks for sharing this...got a link to the vid?

Club meeting on campus. Not during a lecture

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VaBeachDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Soooooo my next question to UGA: so What Sasser said was in an official capacity and as a representative of the university?

Open the door... enter double standard. What a pathetic response. I could see this happening at Duke, Cal, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Columbia, you name the institution, but not UGA. Apparently, even UGA isn't immune from the Political Correctness Virus!

• Options

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

"I never referenced a % of supporters of the cival war, but the cival war was in fact led by southerners supporting slavery. That is fact is the heritage/culture is southern based. Just stated a fact so I disagree your take that I’m with overstating a %."... Because Southerners owned slaves a little longer than Northerners, Southerners are this day in age being raised more racist 200 years later? Either way, you called it the elephant in the room. I'm taking that as the big chunk of the issue no one is addressing, when it's a very small percent of the issue.

"As to your third point in “vaguely painting oppression isn't going to get us anywhere as a society”, neither is ignoring it, clearly."... I'm not ignoring racism, I said it needs to be called out and dealt with on an individual basis. Ta-da, there's your solution. Let's treat the small percentage of racists in this country on their own, and not paint them as some overpowering majority when they are in the minority.

Also, since the south seems to be the main issue for you, you might want to read this article... https://www.theroot.com/is-the-south-more-racist-than-other-parts-of-the-us-1820893655

At least we agree racism exists and is a terrible thing. But according to the stats/article above, it's less racist than the rest of the country.

1. The south fought the cival war, that’s the basis of me saying it’s southern.
    2. We’re in agreement.
    3. I’ll read the article. At first glance this isn’t an accredited entity so it’s no different than me reading news on the message board.

I’ll conclude the back and forth with, we agree racism sux and it has no place anywhere. It does exist and should be addressed as it arises.

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Teddy said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

2. We’re in agreement.
    3. I’ll read the article. At first glance this isn’t an accredited entity so it’s no different than me reading news on the message board.

I’ll conclude the back and forth with, we agree racism sux and it has no place anywhere. It does exist and should be addressed as it arises.

It's all good.
    a. Living in the past my friend. That article addresses those living in the past. And the south has the crazy racists, those that shoot up a churches, which spreads the stigma of it being wildly racist. Outside the south they are in the closet racists and just won't give you a job or equal education.
    a. It's listing stats/ratios, those are simply facts.