Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Line-Up

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

So Chipper should’ve never hit 3rd in his HOF career? Sounds goofy to me.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Based off this article he should’ve been a 2 or 4 hitter. Probably #2 earlier in his career and #4 later on when his knees were slowing him down a bit.

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Acuña is deadly in the lead off spot

1. Acuña
    2. Albies
    3. Freeman
    4. Donaldson
    5. Markakis
    6. Inciarte
    7. Swanson
    8. McCann
    9. Pitcher
  • Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm pretty sure that Swanson will be under the microscope. He's also a potential piece to move if need be.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, and this isn't a complaint - I'd posted a similar thing a while back and threw in the wildcard that Austin Riley might push for a start. Yeah, I was trying to be a bit provocative to make the conversation interesting, but Donaldson will be the guy at the hot corner.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With analytics and “the new baseball “ third is the new clean up.

Puljoles (sp) and others started batting 3rd to get more ab throughout the year

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Finally someone who gets it. WRC is the offensive stat

And @bmauldin that’s not true. With analytics 3rd in the order is not a highly valued spot, mainly because they have the most at bats over the year with 0 on and 2 outs. @Teddy is right, 2 is now the highest valued offensive spot.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't mind the best hitter getting more ABs by moving up to 2nd or 3rd in the lineup. Your best hitter should always bat in the first inning of the game imo.

• Options

Curious why Chipper should have batted 2nd instead of third. What is it about WRC that suggest this? Why is it the best offensive stat?

• Options

Stats show that the third batter will bat more often than any other spot with 2 outs and nobody on. No point in having your best batter at the plate with 2 outs an nobody on more than anyone else on the team.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

bmauldin. Batting 4th gives a hitter better odds of having baserunners and more particularly, runners in scoring position when he bats in the 1st inning. More runs by far are scored in the 1st inning than any other inning over the course of a season.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WRC+ doesn't suggest that Chipper should have hit 2nd, because WRC+ doesn't give any information into lineup construction.

"Imagine you were a computer and could comprehend a whole bunch of information at once. So you decided to create a landscape of every plate appearance in baseball. The ones with none on, two out, the ones with the bases loaded, zero out, the ones with a man on second and one out, and everything else. Then, in that landscape, you ran an experiment. First, you started with outs. You started in every plate appearance, had the hitter at the plate make an out, and then recorded how many runs ended up scoring that inning (after the out). Then, you did singles. Singles score more runs than outs -- not only can they sometimes drive runners in, but they also extend innings and can lead to runs after the single. And then doubles. And triples. And homers. And walks. And hit by pitches. And then, after you did your experiment for every type of outcome, you just averaged the amount of “runs contributed” from the out versus the single, the double, etc."

WRC basically assigns an average runs scored per single/double/triple etc empirically. It then adds up the expected value of runs scored due to your offensive outcomes. It takes into account the entire run environment in the league and properly assigns some number of created runs to certain outcomes, which is good because runs are the currency of baseball.

If you want to look and see how well a hitter is doing, why bother looking at counting stats, trying to figure out the different relative values of a triple-slash line, or anything else? wRC+ is one simple number that’s already scaled to league average, and even factors the hitter’s home park into account to some extent.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/2/5/18202672/baseball-analysis-primer-hitting-sabermetrics

• Options

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it up until it gave me a headache and then I had to quit.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One thing of note, the stats also show if you actually batted everyone in the worst possible position in the lineup it wouldn't affect your won loss record more than a game or two over an entire season. So, a lot depends on how the players feel about where they hit.

I always preferred hitting 3rd because I always knew I would get to hit in the first inning, no matter what.

• Options
    volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We should know more Friday night, but I sure hope we didn't waste money on Donaldson. Hope his shoulder was just a one time injury. I had no problem with Camargo at third. But if Donaldson is healthy and can remain healthy, could be a great pickup. Also, Swanson is supposed to play Friday night too. Looking forward to a repeat of 2018 for the NL East champions.

• Options
    RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m one of the few who has complete faith in Dansby

1. Ender

2. Acuña

3. Freeman

4. Donaldson

5. Markakis

6. Albies

7. Catcher

8. Dansby

• Options
  • Options
    LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

1. Acuna
    2. Ozzie
    3. Freddie
    4. Donaldson
    5. Kakes
    6. CamarGOAT
    7. Catcher
    8. Ender
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Robbierob You may have complete faith in Dansby, but he's done every little at the plate to earn your faith. He wasn't good the first half of 2018 and he was even worse in the second half. His post all star numbers were worse in almost every detail.