Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I'm sad to report a death...

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think its important to play like you mean it for the development of a quite young roster. I do think that we should try to lose close games though. someone should tell trae young to stop shooting buzzer beaters

• Options
    edited March 2019

Just sit Young. Getting a 20 year kid directly involved could blow up on the team. No player need be told to not do his best, this is a management issue.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Young, you've played well this season and you are the future of this franchise. We are shutting you down so you don't get hurt in the last few meaningless games. You are too important to go out like that."

I don't know why that's so hard to say to someone. It's not a lie and it doesn't mention tanking

• Options

YaleDawg….yep.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As far as the tanking goes, I think it is also important to acknowledge where you are in the season. I would never advocate going into a season with the goal of losing. If a young team is able to play above their heads, make a run and arrive a year or two early then that's great. That, however, is not what the situation is. In any meaningful sense this season is over in ATL.

In the NBA, the only reward for mediocrity is continued mediocrity. It is nearly impossible to come from the middle of the pack and become elite. The key is shrewd drafting and then mixing in effective free agents. Taking easy and clear steps over the last 7-8 games of a season would fall under the shrewd drafting piece.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The argument about not making the two young guys angry is a bit pointless. They will get over it if the team is able to grow, OR will both sign elsewhere if the franchise isnt competitive when their contracts are up. What happens over the next 7 games will be long forgotten 3 years from now. The way to increase your odds to be competitive is to get the Mavs pick. The way to improve the team quickly in order to attract free agents after next year and the year after is to get the Mavs pick

The sweet justice would be to play to win and then be the team who hits on a ping pong ball, sliding the Mavs back down to 6. If that doesn’t happen then you’ve damaged your future by wasting next year, when you could have had two more top picks learning to play with Young and Collins instead of just one. When the two 2020 picks finally hit the court, Collins will be in his fourth year in the league on a habitually losing team the whole time and looking forward to getting the heck away from Atlanta’s losing culture after one more season - in part because he wanted to win a few meaningless games this year.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

BTW: Sounds like John Collins is sitting tomorrow. That continues to firm up my belief that they started to manipulate a little to lose beginning vs Portland. But at this point, Trae isn't going to get slapped with the "load management" deal. More likely that if they're going to do something like that, they let Trae start to get his 82 games deal, but limit minutes at times.

Collins sitting is highly likely enough for the L though in the next two games if they he does vs SA and ORL.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

loool

Hawks are trying to throw this game in SA and they just recently went on a 22-6 run with a hodgepodge bench.

Edit: They're most likely going to succeed, but it took a RIDICULOUS lineup to do so.

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That was way too close, Dallas actually has a great shot at falling to seventh, currently tied with Memphis

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn’t mind honestly. I’ll take the 7 pick for a higher shot at actually keeping Dallas’ pick

• Options

''load management'', and I considered myself worldly. Seriously, I don't know what that means.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think, generally, it refers to how much and how intense the "work" is that a player does. In hoops I'm thinking it's a way to say how many minutes a guy plays and not as much how intense the work was. those little GPS thingies that CKS uses in practice can give a # that addresses workload management. My guess, of course.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Ok, load management makes sense after some sleep. That is exactly what is needed ..😉.

Losing last night got us close to keeping the 5 spot going into the lottery. one more loss and a win by Dallas locks it up.

• Options
    IwantMekhailIwantMekhail Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We won again today. I still think we don’t lose the pick but something to continue keeeping an eye on

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They will beat the Bucks again when they play

The Hawks have lost with abandon for years, and now with a real shot at 2 high picks they can’t even keep from winning when it hurts them.