Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I'm sad to report a death...

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Bank, it's plum krazy.

Iwant. we have 3 more losses than Dallas with 4 games to play for both teams. 1 loss by us combined with 1 win for Dallas would secure the 5th worst record.

I think somebody forgot to tell Pierce he has a job next season. Either that or the guy has rocks for brains.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

They'll lose vs Orlando again for sure to probably lock up 5th (I believe) and at least lock up being ahead of Dallas in tanking. Even if Collins plays, he struggles a LOT vs long bois right now, so Isaac would very likely own him again. Honestly in hindsight for positioning yourself for the lottery though, we're going to look back at this season and see a couple weird quirks that saved the team from themselves and Orlando is included. One was the Knicks, who are the worst team in the NBA I think, ABSOLUTELY OWNING this team (1-3 and it would've been 0-4 vs them if it weren't for Jeremy Lin having one of his Linsanity stretches) and two is while Orlando is mediocre, they have players that give the Hawks major problems, thus they're going to sweep the series. (I'm calling it now, I'm not scared)

If it's at Orlando, they might play some games with players playing and PT again though.

GeorgiaGirl, you are correct, Collins struggles against big physical low post players. Right now it's more Trae who is driving the fortunes of the team though. We have some pretty solid options when Collins is on the bench, we don't have anybody who can come close to what Young does.

So, limit Trae's minutes to 10 to 15 or set him out the entire game, same with Collins. It doesn't need to be complicated.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i went to the game last night. Hawks need a center, embiid wasn’t playing and boban barely played and they were still getting shredded on the boards. Alex Len shouldn’t be a starter in the nba

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

unless you want to lose games....

edited April 2019

Judasdurant. I like Embiid's game, but if we could find a Euro guy with a game similar to Nikola Jokic we'd have the ultimate modern center. he turned 24 2 months ago. His stats..

20.1 PPG

7.4 assists per game

57% shooting.

10.8 rebounds per game.

That type of player would be incredible in our offense.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if there's any chance for Atlanta to grab a late first-rounder and take Bol Bol. His injury is concerning, but I think worth a late round flier

edited April 2019

CTD. I'd take Bol Bol with our 2nd rd pick if he's there. We should have 2 early 1st rd picks, taking a high upside guy and stashing him till he'd ready to contribute would make good sense. If he doesn't pan out, it wouldn't be a big investment anyway.

Edit. The more I look at Bol the more I'd consider doing a sign and trade with the Dallas pick, take a player somebody in the middle of the 1st rd covets and have them draft Bol for us. The guy does some things similar to Durant. How many 7' 2'' guys with 7' 8'' wing spans can shoot 3s at a high rate, drive to the basket with lateral quickness, block shots and shoot the mid range shots ?

I've changed my mind on taking DeAndre Hunter with the Dallas pick. He looked extremely timed in The NCAA tourney.

I might take TTs Jarrett Culver at 6. He's played his asre off in the tourney and he looks to have excellent upside.

In an odd coincidence Memphis and Dallas are tied for the 6th worst record and they play each other in the next 2 games in what amounts to a home and home. Those could be seriously **** games with each team trying to out-suc the other.

Memphis is trying hard to convey their pick this year for some reason though (which means they want to get in 9th for them), likely planning a bigger tank next year, but that home and home likely gets split imo, and Phoenix might be shut down entirely, who knows.

I’m looking at Rui Hachimura from gonzaga if we have any shot at getting him mid round

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope we can do better than him. He doesn't impress me all that much.

Reading a mock draft this morning, it has Atlanta taking Coby White from UNC and Culver from TTU. I do not understand that. For sure we need a 2-guard when Huerter is playing at the 3, but drafting White seems redundant. Atlanta, like every other building team honestly, needs a difference-maker on the wing. Maybe Culver gives you that, but I think we can do better than White with the 5th pick, if that's where we land.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah I was less than excited with that one. A true shutdown defensive 3, that can give you 15-18 a game would truly make huge difference on this team.

CTD. I think Hachimura will be a top 10 pick. I need to study him and others in this draft for defensive ability, that along to the ability to pass, shoot and run in our offense are the key factors we need. We dang sure can't afford to bring in weak defenders.TTU's Culver looks to fit the desired profile.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FWIW, that mock draft that had the Hawks getting White and Kulver had Claxton in the mid 20s.

A player I'm very interested in is 6'9'' 210lb SF from France Sekou Doumbouya. If there's a Giannis in this draft it's this kid. He's 18 and won't turn 19 till this Dec. 23rd. He doesn't have Giannis's wingspan (7'0'') but his standing reach is 8' 11''. He is extremely agile like Giannis and he loves to play defense.

Right now if we end up with Culver and Doumbouya I'll be excited.

In 2020, but he's a very real legitimate draft prospect that might declare this year to at least get evaluated and could even declare to go. Last word was it was very much 50/50 with him on stay or go.

Shows that you can't teach height. He has abilities that do project to the NBA but he's incredibly raw and probably 2-3 years away from being able to play in the NBA, but since he's 6'11" he's going to be drafted whenever he goes, unlike a Yante Maten. Hopefully he stays and makes another big leap.

I would like Jarrett Culver, but the Hawks might choose potential to be a good shooter over him.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CTDawg Yeah- that would not get me excited. But the good news is, mock drafts always have limited value when it comes to projecting players to specific teams. The experts may be able to project the approximate range a player will be drafted in, but it's anybody's guess which player the Hawks (or any other team, outside the top 2-3 spots) will actually select.