Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CTDawg. While The Braves have the lowest ERA for relief pitchers in the league since June 1st, we're only 12 of 18 in save opportunities. We should be around 15 3. Think about gaining 3 more games in just under 7 weeks. With a top 10 closer from opening day we'd probably be up 15 games. That tells me 24 spots are championship level and 1 spot sucs.

• Options

According to my sources The Philly mascot kidnapped Degrom and he's demanding 10 years supply of Twinkies for his return. Seriously though,Mets, Phillies, put both in a bag and pull one out, that's about my interest level in either of them. I used to have some interest in other teams,now It's just The Braves and whoever is in our way. I do have interest in great players regardless who they play for though.

• Options

Editing is tricky with my laptop and Windows 10, It seems to not be working

At all with this android tablet so I'll add this that I would have preferred to edit into my last post.

I do still appreciate greatness. I follow Houston and The Dodgers enough to believe they've had the 2 best rosters over the past 4 years. The Dodgers should win The World Series this year, but they should have won it last year. So maybe they'll pull a Bobby Cox and we can get past them, but we need a closer and more stability in the rotation, but the lineup is there.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg agree with you pretty much on every point there my man. Austin Riley is worrying me a bit lately, but 1-8 I think the lineup is championship level. Certainly good enough to get hot enough to reach that level. Folty is the wild card in the rotation, but Soroka and Keuchel make for a good 1-2 punch in a postseason rotation. Get a true closer and slot Jackson down an inning or two and I would feel supremely better about our odds.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can they complete the sweep with Soroka today and make it 7-1 in their last 8? I think so.

• Options
    hobby90hobby90 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Which is the better trade option at closer: Will Smith or Shane Greene?

• Options

Amjadawgs. I think today is more important for Soroka than just one game. In a season that is on pace see have the most Hrs in history by an incredible 10% Soroka gave up just 1 HR over his 1st 10 starts. During that stretch he also became the 1st starting pitcher in MLB history to give up just 1 or fewer earned runs in 9 of his 1st 11 starts. The lone HR over 10 games tells much of the story. He had so much movement on every pitch in his tool kit and so much command hitters rarely made solid contact on the ball.

In recent games he has not had the accuracy. You can't have command without control of where the ball is going. Earlier in the seasono the only times his catcher had to move his glove much was on designed low and out of the strike zone pitches, again command and control.

I want to see that pitcher today, he needs to be that pitcher to stay cofident.To who it may concern, neither Verlander or Scherzer had a truly dominant season or an ERA under 3.00 before their 28th birthday, Soroka is just 21 years old.

• Options
    IwantkendallIwantkendall Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Soroka looking sharp today. Hitting his spots better

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Now, here I go being aggravating again slightly…

That was the best that Soroka’s stuff had looked since his 8 inning Miami start, BUT there were some hints of sometimes, it’s better to be lucky in some cases, than good. Hosmer just missed a 2-run homer and Acuna robbed at least a double by Machado if not a homer.

Literally inches away from giving up 3-4 runs instead of 0 and probably the narrative of oh, he looked off again. When he had his best strikeout stuff in months despite that (although probably partially helped by SD).

There was also some of what I was talking about in this start that I’m afraid of. The Padres got at least 3 BS hits off him.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No doubt there’s always a lot of luck involved with baseball. I’m more excited about the 9 K’s than anything else, really good job.

Before anyone comes in here saying his command was better today, it really didn’t seem like it was to me.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Soroka was on point today. Great win by the Bravos, but we still need to get a closer and another starter.

• Options

10-1, 2.24 ERA. I love those old school stats

Really this wasn't Soroka's cleanest game,but many of his pitches were tight with sharp late movement. Very important, for the most part McCann didn't need to move the glove much, Mike had good command other than a few that came in too straight and flat.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here’s a bit of a spicy-ish take probably:

Today’s start by Soroka was probably about as good as his next to last start before the break against the Mets.

I had a feeling 3 batters in that Soroka had his better stuff because of how his sinker was moving, but his sinker was really moving against the Mets and he had a pretty good slider as well, the difference between that start and today? Well Pete Alonso snuck a changeup over the wall (and for that matter, that pitch looked like it was going to hit it’s spot, so he was staying back on that pitch, which probably means it was a bad pitch call), then later in the 7th inning, an in play that was hit 67.8 MPH turned into a hit ended his start, along with the Mets actually being a pretty decent offense. In today’s game, like I alluded to earlier, the difference between quite possibly 3-4 runs and 0 was Hosmer’s ball being maybe 1 foot to the right and Acuna not robbing Machado (Alonso’s home run was 363 feet, Machado’s loud flyout was nearly 400 feet). Along with that, while the Padres have decent offensive pieces, they have more swing and miss in their lineup. So, there’s your difference between 6.1 IP 7 H 2 ER 4 K and 7 IP 6 H 0 ER 1 BB 9 K.

So, if Soroka pitches the exact same way at home against Washington later in the week, I wouldn’t act shocked if he gives up at least a run or two. It’ll be a good start, but not a dominating start.

And…yeah, statcast really enables me to be annoying with my tendencies. Big time. Either way, I’m not calling Soroka bad, but you are seeing Mrs. Debbie Downer in me wanting people to calm down on the idea of the Maddux comp.

• Options

You know I’m right there with you, keep the spicy takes coming. Stat cast is cool.

Maybe you could compare how many balls were hit hard against soroka start to start? That’s something that FIP neglects, and in my opinion is it’s only big flaw. Pitchers are always going to give up hits, but limiting the homers and doubles is something the best guys do well.

• Options

GG....AKA, Kirb the act is tiring.

• Options

Seriously though. You "2" always show up at the same time and you always work in tandem.

• Options
    edited July 2019

lol its because she is the SO_Flo dawg of Braves for me. I come on the forum to get his opinions on recruiting because I value them, and I value GGs opinions on baseball. We just look at things in a much more similar way than you and I do.

And of course this thread is gonna go off after the soroka start. His starts are must see Braves baseball.

• Options

Sorry GG..I mean Kirb..😁. This nonsense of thinking obtuse analytics is more important than actual real life results gets under my skin after awhile. I'll try to refrain from imposing me real world opinions on your vertual world thinking.

• Options

To be Greg Maddux you'd have to have his mind and makeup, that in a nutshell is why nobody was like MadDog before him and why it would be foolish to say Soroka or any other pitcher will have a career like his. That being true, It's not the same as dismissing what Soroka has done or MIGHT DO as unlikely except for the reasons I outlined, he has shown the stuff to dominate, It's just a matter of commanding those pitches consistently over a long period of time. It's the human factor and almost everybody falls prey to to some degree.

• Options

Remember all the hand wringing about having to contend against The Phillies' murderers' Row lineup ? As of today they are 20th in MLB in slugging percentage, The Braves are 4th, how sweet it is !

This discussion has been closed.