Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Herschel chimes in on Immigration

Comments

• RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, that was about the time SF also tried out paint that splatters back on the walls that men urinated on! Quite frankly, those people were so high, I don't think they cared. The part that bothered me most was seeing a big load in the middle of the sidewalk. My kids and I actually witnessed a woman drop a big deuce on the sidewalk not far from our hotel. We also saw a bunch of used needles. I did use it as a teachable moment though. I told them an occasional recreational drug use can easily lead to what they witnessed. So far, so good as they are now in their late teens and older. Shame really. 20 years ago, I thought it was one of the most beautiful cities I'd ever been.

Now you're moving the goal posts. You said previously that there is no way automatic gunfire can go on throughout the night in ANY city in America.

Tell that to the people of south west Chicago....

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know of anybody who is high enough on the political totem pole to have power who is calling for open borders. Just as there is a difference in illegal and legal immigration though there is a difference in a healthy discussion of policy and rabble rousing with statements like ''rapist and murderers''.

Unfortunately we're at a place now where demagoguery is more the normal than the exception.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @RxDawg the only industry where that is a problem is entertainment in Hollywood and I agree people shouldn't be derided for their political views unless they are abhorrent. Herschel is in no danger of losing any opportunities. However, I think we can all do better when it comes to civil discourse. As far as messaging you made it seem like there is no conservative media. I was just pointing out that conservatives have done well in recent elections which runs counter to the idea that the "left" controls the media. 
    Reagan gave over 3 million undocumented immigrants amnesty and the country survived. Yes, not all of their problems are caused by the US but a good amount of them are and we should accept refugees while working to revitalize their countries. This would also help reduce not only illegal immigration but immigration in general. I never said it was your family's fault or tried to guilt anyone? Just because you or I have no personal blame doesn't mean the US government gets to ignore the bad things it has done, and I think we should make our country right its wrongs. Is that not what taking responsibility for your actions is all about? It has been shown time and time again that immigrants commit crimes at lower rates than American citizens. You make these nebulous claims they are going to destroy the country but never specify exactly how. Have you ever interacted with them? Did the entire community do something to you? What are they doing to breed resentment? I've met several undocumented immigrants (town I grew up in had a lot) through school and workers and they were great. Hard working and did their best to assimilate. The adults would learn English by watching TV and from their kids who you would not know weren't American if you met them. I understand the immigration system is flawed and needs to be fixed and there is a need to know who is entering the country, but the extreme dislike for these people seems to be a personal problem rather than a problem with them.

Here's an interesting chart:

So our bottom 10th %tile live better than many of the world's TOP 10th %tile. And far better than the "wealthy" of the 3rd world. And the word is out, get to the American southern border and your're in!!

It's been clearly documented now that there are increasing numbers of Africans, Indians, Philipinos, Chinese, etc crossing over the southern border. Are they all politically persecuted and their lives at risk? Or if they are so poor, how did they afford the air flight or cruise fare to get to Mexico?

edited June 2019
    @RedBlackDawg
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/teresaghilarducci/2018/11/02/republican-public-opposition-to-social-security-and-medicare/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-mcconnell-social-security-20181019-story.html?outputType=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-republican-welfare-cuts-20171206-story,amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/mitch-mcconnell-blames-entitlement-programs-for-rising-deficit?_amp=true

Here are multiple sources that detail McConnell and Ryan's view that social security and Medicare were driving the deficit and that those programs should be cut. I use R's so I don't have to keep typing Republicans but I'll put the full word if you find it disrespectful.
    Can you link a source for the Africans, Chinese, etc. coming though Mexico? I didn't see anything with a quick search and you might be able to find it faster.
  • tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I told them an occasional recreational drug use can easily lead to what they witnessed"

yeah, I know a guy that had one marijuana one time and now he is an insane drug rapist sex nazi!!! another person had one marijuana and now she only hangs out a jazz clubs and fornicates with black men!!!

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think your idea of "take care of your own" is different than mine. First I don't believe in the term "entitlement". Entitlement literally means "the fact of having the right to something". I know it's an old concept, but I believe people should earn things. Now I do believe in social programs that help people in time of need. Programs like social security and Medicare were great programs that just kept getting expanded and expanded to the point where they are now taking advantage of. That expansion is what needs to be cut, not the programs.

The Scandinavian countries, Canada and Australia top most lists of quality of life, satisfaction with their country, health, etc, etc.

I actually did peruse all 4 of those articles you cited. Despite the misleading headlines, there were no concrete proposals to "cut" SS or MC, just ASPERSIONS by the author as to the INTENT of the Republicans. However, I will grant you that there have been efforts to decrease the SLOPE of the increase in entitlement spending (i.e. slow down the rate of increase). Only in modern mainstream media is this now considered "cutting" entitlements (this is truly fake news, or at least fake headlines) LMFAO!!!

Also brief history of SS when it was passed by FDR: benefits started at age 65 but life expectancy was 62...government was going to make a profit!!

Medicare when passed by LBJ: benefits started at age 65 but life expectancy was 66...again they thought they were going to make a profit with all the premiums being paid in by all the young people for only 2 years (on average) of benefits for medical care that was quite primitive and inexpensive back in the day (for example, heart attack?? bedrest, aspirin, and beta blockers)...now, drug eluting stents or robotic bypass surgery (all very cheap...snark)

This is the law of unintended consequences. Now people routinely live into their 90's and people having fewer babies (tax payers). So if addressing these unsustainable concerns are your interpretation of "cutting" entitlements....well, there is no hope for any of us

That was quite amusing!! However, how many times have we heard of young people now addicted to heroin (opioid) after taking a pill or two of dad's leftover oxycodone left behind after hernia surgery?? Not quite so funny now, huh?

scarecrow was my favorite wizard of Oz character too, straw man

“There’s been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs,” McConnell told Bloomberg News. “Hopefully at some point here, we’ll get serious about this. We haven’t been yet.”

McConnell added that he thought the Obama administration missed a window of opportunity to reform programs like Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, which account for about 70 percent of what the federal government spends annually.

I don't know any other way to interpret this besides McConnell and Ryan along with the Republican party wanted to reduce benefit payouts from Social Security and Medicare as a means of reducing the deficit. Reducing benefit payouts is a cut. There is no way around that, and I provided sources from various ends of the political spectrum which gives me the feeling everything you disagree with is fake news. The articles address why they never put forward a concrete plan. Midterms were coming up and since the Dems won the house, there was no chance of passing cuts to those programs anyways. Yeah, times change but we could address changes without making cuts. Average life span is 78 btw.

Republicans passed the biggest spending bill by any nation in all history with control of both houses and The Presidency last year. The ''compromise'' was give me what I want and I'll give you what you want. No high level leader has curbed spending since Bill Clinton did it in the 90s. I'm not even sure what being conservative means now. Supposedly the republican party is more conservative than in the past, yet they run through our money like shiit through a goose.

Hey, it’s a free country, and the Big Lebowski is one of my all time favs. But we’re not talking movies and I’ll wager this: higher incidence of unhealthy drug addiction arising from the recreational user than the non user, no??

edited June 2019

I think your own biases are defining how you "interpret" what McConnell said in the article you sited. Reform does not necessarily mean reduced payouts to entitlement as you stated. McConnell did not use the word cut, YOU did. If people are living longer and healthier now than in the days of FDR and LBJ, why not hold off on benefits until they're 70 or 75? The intent of the original legislation was designed for benefits a few years prior to projected life expectancy (actually in SS, AFTER you died). If it was good enough at that time, why not now? Since that was their original intent, why not index it or adjust it according to current life expectancy (with the obvious exemptions for severe disabilities...another can of worms)? Another way of putting it, I sincerely doubt FDR would have pushed through SS legislation IF he knew that people were gonna live to almost 80 (on average) and may require decades of expensive dialysis, kidney or heart transplant, robotic surgery, chemo....none of which was even entertained in the 1930's. And without free market and capitalism along with its financial incentive, very few of these wonderful innovations would have likely occurred. I mean, how many notable lifesaving medical advancements were developed in Communist USSR or China or Venezuela?

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well this thread has lasted 3-4 pages longer than I thought possible. And some good information and insight being exchanged..Well Played !