Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Herschel chimes in on Immigration

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I am interested to know if those that agree with Herschel also believe it is ok to dismiss left of center views just because they come from athletes and celebrities? I have a feeling Laura Ingraham won't tell Herschel to shut up and stick to football the way she did with Lebron.
  • JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    How about any one of you that have a problem with what he said go confront him 😎. 
    edited June 2019
    Should people be afraid of Herschel for holding a different opinion? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't use intimidation or violence against those who disagree with him politically 
  • paulpaulpaulpaul Posts: 102 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like what 34 had to say . Every one may not agree on his comment but is relevant because he is the greatest UGA player of all TIMES!!

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2019

In general, its an ill informed statement. There's no correlation between the two things and he's trying to make a connection somehow. A great many homeless in America are suffering from mental health issues, which opens up a whole other can of worms.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Let's end this discussion before it goes anywhere else. Close to getting out of hand. 

That it was an idiotic statement is the opinion of you and probably some others on this forum. However, many other very educated members on this Forum probably don't believe it's a very idiotic comment.

Just because you don't agree hardly makes it idiotic. 

Let's stick to arguing about football.

Way to go Herschel - we all still love you.
    @GeoffDawg that's a better way of looking at it but people hear what famous people say because they have an audience that plumbers never will and some will naturally use that to advance policies they believe in. I also don't think news outlets report what celebrities say on politics that much? My issue comes from people dismissing views they disagree with just because it came from a famous person instead of attacking the merits of the position. Yeah, there is a reason why you should never meet your heroes. 
    I don't think anyone said it was idiotic? Just ill informed
  • oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bobby maybe I misunderstood what he said. But I thought he was saying that the state should take care of its legal citizens before worrying about non-citizens. I do not see the difference, unless I you are saying that mental health problems are not medical problems.

edited June 2019
    He's saying you can't draw a parallel between the situations. There are a variety of complex factors that lead to homelessness with mental illness being one of them making it difficult to legislate homelessness away. California has already made it clear they will not make deporting undocumented immigrants a priority. Because of this they have determined it is beneficial to allow young, adult undocumented immigrants to have access to California Medicaid. Just my reasoning and I'll have to look into it, but it probably keeps them from clogging up emergency rooms which frees those services up and is less expensive in the long term. Whether or not they should be deported is a separate argument. 
  • GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg oh sure, I understand the market economics of it and I believe in free expression so wouldn’t change it even if I could, just find it annoying sometimes.

Regarding your other point, it seems like you can’t swing a dead cat around recently without hitting some article involving Alyssa Milano not to mention all the other actors promising never to work in Georgia again.

Im with you on debating arguments based on their merits. But humans are a dramatic bunch, that’s easier said than done.

I don't live in Georgia anymore, so I haven't seen that as much. I guess it would be reported more since they are boycotting the state which makes it relevant to Georgians. I can see how that would get frustrating though. Seems a simple article that says, "Several actors have decided to stop filming in Georgia. We will revisit this at a later time to assess its effect on the economy," would suffice.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's difficult to legislate homelessness away, but apparently it's not difficult to legislate consequences away. It seems that has led us to this point. Now some homeless are legit and mentally incapable, but some are just slothful and are fully taking advantage of the current environment.

And in regards to regarding Herschel's opinion over others... It's not so much that per say. It's that the left has a near monopoly on owning the message coming from entertainment, news media, and quite possibly education. So anytime someone with a louder voice sticks up for what many others believe in, we can get a little excited about it. At least someone out there is supporting what I believe to be the most absolute important issue going on right now. You cannot enable, or worse encourage bad behavior or it will never stop.

Ironically, these two issues are very much related. We need leaders that are willing to step up and make hard decisions, but everyone is to scared of the optics of looking to "mean/racist/etc". There is simply nothing good that will come of letting these kind of numbers continue to poor in. It's not about diversity, we are diverse. I think it's about anarchy. But now I'm getting into the weeds. I just want it to end now. There are ways. Some of them quite simple. We just need the leaders willing to do it. Because make no mistake, the other side will scream all sorts of foul accusations at anyone willing to step up and do the right thing.

• BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    Opinions are ok. Lets keep the gifs out of it...Thanks!
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How in hell is living on the street taking advantage of anything ,other than perhaps Coastal California's mild climate ?

edited June 2019

@RxDawg In 2017 and 2018 Republicans controlled the Presidency and both branches of Congress. Either conservatives are getting their message out or the "left" is inept at getting out their message while dominating all means of communication. Which one do you believe is more likely? Do you form all your opinions on your own or is there some sort of conservative media that is able to survive in this liberal dystopia that helps mold your opinions?

What's the right thing to do? I'd argue it's the right thing to take every central American refugee since the US has played a major role in destabilizing the region. Does the US not have a moral obligation to help the people from the countries we threw into chaos? As far as stemming illegal immigration what are these simple solutions? As long as the US is safer and provides better economic opportunities people will come here no matter what.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree RX. It's a legal not a moral issue. Cant pick and choose what laws should be followed.

As to fixing any issue of our country, I agree that leadership is lacking. Politicians anchor down on their side giving no ground , worried about perception and if they'll be elected again. I for one believe most issues can only be solved by meeting in the middle. Both sides are hardheaded to their beliefs and feel it has to be either/or. It doesnt. Maybe our forefathers formed a democracy of 2 sides so that there would be give and take. Not so that 1 side would pound the other until everyone felt the same way. That wont happen just like it wont on this board. JMO