Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Favorite Movies

Comments

• Options
    ATLPhillyATLPhilly Posts: 5 ✭✭ Sophomore
    Shawshank stands alone at my top but I don’t think I’ve seen mention of Glory!  A fairly unknown Morgan Freeman, Matthew Broderick, and a new actor Denzel something?!!!  That Denzel guy won best supporting actor among the 3 Academy awards.  Last scene filmed on Jekyll Island before it was en vogue to film in GA.
  • Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Mad Max
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    High Noon
    A Lion in Winter
    Jaws
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the WLOCP ever gets to a home-away set up, stop by Micanopy, FL (about 15 minutes from UF) and see the town where Doc Hollywood was filmed. Kind of neat.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

@greshamdisco

Watched the finding Sugar movie, really documentary, last night. It was a really neat story. I gota say I think they should of edited it down some, especially in the beginning. I almost didn't finish it because it took a while to get going. That said, I'm glad I did. Fascinating true story.

To think that a musician makes a couple of albums, doesn't really make a career out of it, goes on to a life working construction. Then he unknowingly becomes the greatest artist ever in an isolated country, and finds out about when he's an older man. That's just wild.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm seeing a lot of Shawshank claims. And it's brought up in many other greatest movie of all time discussions. This has always surprised me a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. But it's never really moved the meter for me as much as it seemingly does others. I think it could be because of how I saw it. I believe I was on a cruise ship, and it was playing on loop on the TV. So I was in and out and saw the movie in chunks rather than sitting down and seeing it all the way through.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I remember going with a rowdy bunch to see Porky’s, while not the best movie it was funny and we had a good time. 
  • Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love that movie. I saw this movie for the first time in the early nineties, not even knowing of it's existence. It didn't have the same feel as the earlier "Eastwood" movies, not as much action I suppose. But, I think Sergio Leone's work here is his best.

And the soundtrack: the recurring musical scores are absolutely stunning.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. Gone With the Wind
    2. Godfather 1&2
    3. My Fair Lady
    4. Mullholland Dr.
    5. Vertigo
    6. Raising Arizona
  • Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sooooooooo nobody's seen Eraserhead? What's the matter with you people? It's a cult classic!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JoeSidneyKelly. That is a very eclectic list, and a dam good one. The 15 minute intro to Raising Arizona may be the funniest ever. I've never seen My Fair Lady and it's not the type movie I usually like, but there are always exceptions like The Remains Of The Day. I usually dislike movies or series focused on Royal Brits' households, but that movie is superior.

• Options

I actually saw it in a theater when it first came out. Very... ummm how shall I say "trippy"

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have never seen Gone With The Wind all the way through. I've also never read the book from start to finish. I have tried many many times, I just can't ever seem to get through it.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anything Lynch is at least a 7/10. Eraserhead gets a 9 from me.

"Oh, you are sick."

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It came out when I moved to London in '77. I remember seeing Eraserhead movie posters all over London. I didn't see the film until around 2002. After 5 minutes I turned to a neighbor and said, "Is this for real? I'm ready to S-can this thing, but I find myself oddly curious to see if this can possibly get anymore bizarre." His response, "Let's keep going."

The chicken carving scene had us busting a gut!!!

Lynch's last movie with Laura Dern is equally as bizarre!

• Options
  • Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @RxDawg, mad respect for actually watching it. The slow first half may be because the guys who wrote it featured themselves in that part. However, it does build up the suspense in a way. I remember how happy I was when I realized he was still alive. Sad that he was living in poverty, but crazy he ends up playing to huge crowds. Just a great story. Glad you liked it. 
  • Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

some not mentioned or not enough mentioned.

Bad Santa (2003)  Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Lauren Graham, John Ritter, and Bernie Mac

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Patricia Neal, Michael Rennie, Sam Jaffe, Billy Gray very decent sci-fi

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter very decent sci-fi

Steve Jobs (2015) Michael Fassbender, Kate Winslet

Alien (1979)  Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt

Aliens Sigourney Weaver

Ghostbusters (1984) Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Rick Moranis

Big Lebowski (1998)  Jeff Bridges, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, John Goodman, John Turturro 

Starman (1984) Jeff Bridges, Karen Allen, Charles Martin Smith very decent sci-fi

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) David Bowie, Candy Clark, Rip Torn, Bernie Casey strange sci-fi

The Last Starfighter (1984) Lance Guest, Robert Preston, Dan O'Herlihy, Catherine Mary Stewart decent sci-fi very under-rated

Empire Records (1995) Robin Tunney, Renée Zellweger, Liv Tyler implausible plot but <-- CAST!

Hildago (2004) Viggo Mortensen,  Zuleikha Robinson, T.J (the horse)

Kin (2018) Myles Truitt, Jack Reynor, Zoë Kravitz, Carrie Coon, Dennis Quaid, James Franco decent sci-fi

Cedar Rapids (2011) Ed Helms, John C. Reilly, Anne Heche, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Alia Shawkat "NTS"- not too shabby

The Dirty Dozen (1967) Lee Marvin,  Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Telly Savalas

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Man. Completely forgot this one. Has anyone mentioned Slingblade
  • Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate