Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Favorite Movies

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Dazed And Confused is the only movie I've seen that comes close to depicting what small town southern high school life was like in the 1970s. It was spot on in many ways. I recognized every single character in it.

Most movies about southern HS life back then show a bunch of bubbas and the rest are uptight church going folk. In reality we had all of the types in Dazed And Confused. We went to big parties in the sticks, we cruised Main, we hung out in parking lots, all the things in that movie happened most every Friday and Saturday night in Cedartown Ga. in the mid 70s.

What American Graffiti was for teen age night life in Southern California in the 1960s DAC was for my time and place.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comedy - Didn't see anyone mention My Cousin Vinny - love that movie.

War - Tora Tora Tora

Drama - A Time to Kill

Broadway Show (saw it in Vegas) - Jersey Boys

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't believe I didn't think of Dazed til now.

Oh, and come at me: Reading through all these lists I'm not sure if I should admit it but I've not seen ANY of the Marvel movies. Nothing against them...just one of those things where you don't get into something from the beginning, hear from everyone how great it is, but just kinda let it pass you by.

At this point IDK if I'd want to start from the beginning. I think if I were to try one it would be one of the ancillary ones like Deadpool as opposed to one of the Avengers ones. And I think I'll pass on the one with Captain Marvel..not a big Brie Larson fan.

• Options
    saracovarsaracovar Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

There are many downloadable movies updated on the daily MovieBox application that you can watch, all for free: https://movieboxprofession.com/

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Palm_City_Dawg

MAJOR props for knowing about Kentucky Fried Movie. Not many people know about that one. And if you haven't seen it, you must check out Movie 43. It's very much in the same fashion as Kentucky Fried Movie. It's got probably the biggest all star cast I've ever seen in one flick. It's rib cracking funny (but not for the feint of heart). I can't believe how much it flew under the radar. Guess society is just a little to uppity for movies like that these days.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Dazed and Confused
    all right all right 
  • Options

Kentucky Fried Movie was written and made by the same team that wrote and made Airplane a few years later. They also wrote and made the Police Squad movies.

• Options

American Graffiti was young life in the 60s.

Dazed and Confused was young life in the 70s.

80s? Probably tons of movies represent that era.

Go was a movie that was fantastic and portrayed life in the 90s. I probably watched that movie a million times in college. Decent soundtrack too.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,883 mod
    Can’t Hardly Wait was a pretty accurate representation of 90s life. Kicking and Screaming (Baumbach) too
  • Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

80s, for a vintage laugh, Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

One of my favorite lines

People on 'ludes should not drive. — Jeff Spicoli (Sean Penn)

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Didn't read all of these so it may have been mentioned. Django Unchained. Top 3 for me.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Since no one has mentioned these gems, I will.

Comedies :

1. Super Troopers
    2. Me, Myself, and Irene

Musicals:

1. The Wall
    2. Across the Universe
    3. The Greatest Showman
  • Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Cool Hand Luke

Any of the Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A little film noir....

Shadow of a Doubt 1943 directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring Teresa Wright (Yum Yum). Macdonald Carey and Joseph Cotton.

FYI, Teresa Wright was also in The Best Years of Our Lives (1946).

Also, The Third Man 1949 with Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten; directed by Carol Reed.

Double Indemnity 1944 directed by Billy Wilder. Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, and Edward G. Robinson

The Maltese Falcon 1941 directed by John Huston in his directorial debut. Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet, Ward Bond. The Fat Man hires the gunsel to try to steal the dingus, that is, "The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of".

Not exactly noir, but Treasure of the Sierra Madre 1948 directed by John Huston. Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt. and Alfonso Bedoya, who doesn't need no stinking badges.

• Options
    edited June 2019

RXDawg. pick most any John Hughes movie from the 80s and it might represent the decade. Really though I have little clue what high school years were like in the 80s, Hughes may have just made shiit up.

George Lucas wrote and directed American Graffiti, it was based on his experiences in Southern California in the 60s.

The guy who wrote and directed Dazed And Confused went to high school in East Texas in the 70s if I recall correctly. .He was also a QB, guess which character was based on him. The movie could have been about Cedartown Ga. from that period.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Two that I don't believe have been mentioned but are IMO quite worthy.

Little Big Man.

Last Picture Show.

Both have held up very well.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just LOVED little big man - especially chief dan George. “Some days the magic works, some days it don’t”.or something like that.

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Band of Brothers - I know it's not a movie but one of the best war series ever made

Anything Humphrey Bogart

The Verdict

Patton

The Negotiator

Breakfast Club - Too many Bender quotes to list that make this one a favorite.

Stripes

• Options
    jc30116jc30116 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    Full Metal Jacket
    Goodfellas
    Shawshank Redemption..will get to this after my list..
    Saving Private Ryan
    Crank and Crank 2
    The Godfather 1 &2
    The Castle(1997 Australian comedy)
    Major League 
    Gallipoli(Mel Gibson)

On the Shawshank Redemption..being the 25th anniversary of the release, they are doing a big thing at the Ohio State Reformatory where the movie was filmed. I got to tour the prison and the some of the bigger sites in the movie, like where Brooks carved his name just before he hung himself and the rock wall and tree where Red got the box Andy left for him. Sadly, the oak tree is no longer there as it was damaged by a storm. Got to see it just before the storm came through.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/entertainment/movies/last-of-shawshank-redemption-tree-cut-up/430048122