Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Could student loan “reform” wreck college athletics?

Comments

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Umm, so you're assuming that all schools are not only going to allow anyone to go for free but are going to accept anyone who applies? All academic standards and even the need to make entrance test scores, do schoolwork, pass exams, or the many other things required to graduate are going to go by the wayside in this liberal nightmare of yours? Schools will just take anyone who applies, reputation and standards be damned?

Poor kids who use football as a way to better themselves are just going to quit football since they can go for free at whichever 3rd rate school will take them? Because obviously when you're a poor kid from the inner city or dirt poor podunkville the structure of playing a sport will become unnecessary since our school systems do such a great job of graduating kids who DON'T play a sport right?

But I'm sure that this isn't at all another example of the world according to Bankwalker...ie.."this is how I see the world and anyone who doesn't agree is at best dumb and misguided", complete with anecdotal evidence such as a niece.

Now Bank, are you really worried about the demise of student athletes or did you see something about political candidates from a party you don't like talking about student loans and it chapped your ass? Are you worried about female athletes or are you really worried about "spoiled kids" getting something that you didn't? I honestly wonder if there might be better forums for you to discuss all the stuff that's wrong with the world today with likeminded people? Probably no such place in today's world. 🙄

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I volunteer with a young lady at church that went to UGA for 4 years on student loans to work in non-profits. Bless her heart the only job she could find was working in the children's section of the local library. She will never be self sustaining and pay off those loans by herself.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

I believe most, if not all, student loans are forgiven after 10 years of paying a percentage of salary. This is known before the person ever starts working and accruing other debts. The people who say they cannot afford student loan debt are unable to do so because they elect to live at a higher lifestyle rather than budget accordingly.

Probably should have been your TLDR there: I BELIEVE something but can't be bothered to find any evidence AND if someone finds themselves in an adverse situation then it is ALWAYS their fault and it would never happen to me since I'm a genius. With a healthy dose of "lazy generationals", "silly libs", and "get off my lawn" condescension for fun. 😀

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This has the potential to be the most impactful story in college sports since the passing of Title IX. Paying athletes for their likeness will open Pandora's Box and ruin college sports. A lot of people will certainly disagree, but what California is attempting to do will go far beyond just the athletes in that state.

• Options
    Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some of the stories on here... I never cease to be amazed at how many people **** at life.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

I realize there is a strong dislike on the part of many of today's ''conservatives'' to helping anybody who actually needs help. Give tax breaks and ''incentives'' to billionaires, sure, lets do more of that. When it comes to helping those who need help it just rubs these people wrong though.

Ok, that's my soap box rant for today. Lets get back to this particular issue. California's decades long experiment in paying for college education helped that state in becoming the strongest and largest economy in The USA. They reached a tipping point where it wasn't economically feasible though. It isn't a bad idea as a society to have free college education anymore than having free public high schools was a bad idea when it was implemented. We are a far stronger and richer nation because we're all guaranteed access to education through 12th grade. The devil as often is the case is in the details. The direct cost to taxpayers would be enormous. That wouldn't be a net cost to the country though and it might actually end up being a net gain over the long haul, just as free primary education has been. Still it would be very ''taxing'' in the foreseeable future.

As far as forgiving student loans, again not an inherently bad idea, not at all. Again though, the devil is in the details. The cost even by Bernie's estimate would be taunting. In this political climate where most Americans would rather save a buck on their taxes than have 21st century infrastructure and a balanced budget, it is probably a bridge to the future too far. Also it would in affect be punitive to families who pay their way now and would surely lead to many of them taking what would in reality be grant money, since it wouldn't have to be paid back.

So completing this circle of thought, what it would end up being is universal free college tuition. Can we afford it and is there political will to do it. The answer to the first question is yes, if we were willing to pay say an extra 3% in taxes it could be done. The answer to the second question is in all likelihood no, people today want lower taxes more than safe bridges, healthy well educated citizens and a balanced budget.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @scooterdawg. I quit reading your drivel after the first sentence when you incorrectly stated what I assume.   I believe you and Levander were the same person.   Same intellect and logic.   

@WCDawg. You said California pays “if you qualify”.   What are the qualifications?  
  • Options
    edited June 2019

The qualifications WERE meeting certain academic standards. They discontinued the practice because the lower taxes movement made it a choice between continuing to pay for college or balancing the budget. Nationally we no longer make choices to improve the country or pay our bills. Also if your aim is to make this about immigration, count me out, I won't respond.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Free post-secondary education for a period of time is the reason California has a good economy.... rrrriiiiiiiiiigggghhhhht.

• Options
    edited June 2019

In 1940 the ratio of adult Americans with a college education was roughly 1 in 20, today it's 1 in 3. It doesn't take a college degree to understand education aids economic expansion in a tech driven market. Absolutely California's more educated population was a factor in it's becoming one of the largest economies in the world, larger than most entire countries.

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we have more liberal arts degrees than the market will support now, how will that look when we have free college tuition in the field of study of their choice?

Are we moving towards a barista-based economy?

On a related but ancillary note, as a society, we need to de-stigmatize trade work and re-integrate it into primary education. Which would we rather have? HS graduates at 18 with marketable skills and a career path or College graduates at 22 with no marketable skills and a mountain of debt (whether that's absorbed by the student or by the tax-payer) which will do nothing but continue to escalate based on the rising demand in "free" college education?

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many scholarships go unrewarded because people just don't either know to look and apply for them or are just too lazy to apply for them? My son and I have a plan in place to start looking for any and all scholarships that he will qualify for and we plan to apply. I don't care if the scholarship is on for $250. That $250 that I don't have to pay and he doesn't have to take out a loan. I'll take a second job if I have to and he will take a job to help cover the costs. There is no way we will rely on student loans alone to pay for his higher education.

• Options

Geoffdawg. I couldn't agree more in the need to take pride in actual work again. We've become very lazy and even snobbish as a society. There was always pride in building things in the past.

• Options

Is there a resource you look at for available scholarships beyond HOPE? My daughter's only 7 and I have a 529b plan started for her but it'd be nice to use that money for other things if possible.

• Options

FYI. California's 3 trillion dollar GDP would rank 5th in the world if it was a nation.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I see our resident class warfare member (WC Dawg) is giving us his $.02 of social justice tips and comparing apples to automobiles while he's at it.

• Options

C_F. there I go again, making personal comments to lead this thread down a bad path.

Posters take note. at 12:24 pm June 25th F_C fired the first shot.

• Options

Well, I wouldn't agree that I'm not doing "actual" work. If not, then all this stress related indigestion and insomnia is for nothing.

In any case, we need to value work period. If it has merit and fills a need, it's honorable regardless if it's behind a desk, on a construction site, or in a manufacturing plant.