Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

School's out for the rest of the year - public school, that is. I expect the independent schools to follow suit very soon.

I hate it, but I will argue that school is second only to mass transit as a vehicle to rapidly spread this sucker. Not sure what that means for the fall. Hope we have some treatments to make this less severe.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We should start seeing results from some clinical trials soon. Late April or early May

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have been to Vegas - "insane" is basically what they are selling everywhere...

Just glancing at stats from across our wonderful country. This thing is manifesting itself so differently in different places. Our entire state to this point had its worst mortality day with a total of 16 a week or so ago. SIXTEEN. North Carolina peaked at 27. NY is encouraged by daily totals recently that just ticked under 500. That's twice our total fatalities to this point. That's a totally different world within the same country.

Hard for me to comprehend that. Such a different experience, and so much information and so much going on that I cannot relate to here. I think that has to influence my point of view on many things.

Governor of NY proposing interesting numbers this morning due to preliminary antibody testing - showing a mortality rate that may be below 1%, and as low as 0.5%. 14% of the population with antibodies. Now, will this hold? And how much will this change within different populations (population density, socio-economic populations, racial populations, age, etc.) as we get more info? It's a statistician's nightmare (or dream).

• Options
    edited April 2020

I would hold off on drawing any sweeping conclusions from these preliminary antibody tests. We are still determining the efficacy of these tests and even good antibody tests can have a high false positive rate (2-5%). I will say the New York result is more interesting since 14% gets you out of the 2-5% false positive range which is what makes the California tests potentially meaningless. Another caveat is that the death toll is still an under count. We won't know the true fatality rate until after everything is over. What we do know from NYC is that this virus has the potential to cripple our health infrastructure to the point where we have to start choosing who gets a ventilator and storing bodies in refrigerated trucks. I hope its less lethal than we thought, but that doesn't change what we have already witnessed.

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

I just don't understand how Vietnam has zero deaths related to COVID-19, they only have 268 cases with 224 recoveries so far.....

• Options

Authoritarian government with experience dealing with pandemics. They took it seriously from the beginning and implemented aggressive measures to contain it before it was widespread in the country. They were putting tens of thousands of people in quarantine camps which is just something that won't happen here. Some people are questioning the numbers but the CDC has a team there and says the numbers are accurate and have praised them for being transparent.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe we should consider emergency quarantine camps for hot spot areas like NYC.

• Options

I'd like to see them try. Snowflakes out in Idaho threatening police officers over playgrounds being closed.

• Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

The mayor is referring to the s-trip. 2 things to consider

1. She is not over the s-trip as it's in non-incorporated Clarke County so easy to say.
    2. Who in the world is going to fly to LV to gamble in more ways than 1!!! (Brian Kemp excepted 🤣)
  • Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still doesn't explain 0 deaths. It may explain why there aren't more cases.

• Options

If it's a 0.5-3% death rate then it'd only be like 1-6 deaths total based on reported total cases. At that low a prevalence maybe no high risk people were infected? Or they're engaging in a cover up that fooled the CDC so who knows?

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Where are the cases?

May explain the difference in fatalities in Urban versus rural areas here in the US.

• Options
    RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I imagine there will be plenty of folks that take the opportunity to get the nicest hotel in vegas and eat like kings for weekend... someones going to do it. shoot, I bet dtown athens gets busier next week when they reopen things in state. vegas has way more entertainment than athens and cabin fever combined with a gambling mindset.....you can bet your butt folks will be going to vegas if they reopen. haha

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Antimalaria drugs. In the US they will only give those drugs to those who are very ill. They seem to work better when taken early. I bet they have more cases, but since they never got very sick they were not tested.

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, the Stones have given us a sound track for the pandemic:

https://youtu.be/RdhENdBYqdo

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe we will have a vaccine faster than we have ever produced a vaccine for a virus in human history. This is will be an incredible feat by scientists putting in a lot of effort and hours to get it done.

I also believe that we will have a second wave of Covid19 in 2020, just as the Spanish Flu did in 1918 and that wave was more deadly than the first even though folks wore masks and social distanced. In 1918 and 2020, there was/is pressure to open up despite stark warnings from epidemiologists then and now.

This discussion has been closed.