Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I did not suggest otherwise but am glad that you saw humor in what you thought you read.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's safe to say you've missed my point but have certainly shown where your opinion lies.

This discussion has certainly turned in the direction I never intended and I'm confident you never intended.

Our political beliefs are obviously extremely far apart. Very little of what I say makes sense to you...and I honestly can't imagine where you are coming up with some of the things you are saying.

That's OK. I'll respect that and just come to the conclusion that it's best that you and I not discuss politics.

And this covid 19 issue is very political.

But out of respect to you and my desire to have great football discussions with you in the future.. I'll respectfully bow out.

As always I pray that you and your family stay safe and that your region of the country gets through this as quickly as possible.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You said, " The difference between the 2 parties is who benefits from the wealth being created;"

I'm saying both parties scratch the backs of the rich and powerful. Sure one claims to be for the poor and the other claims to be for the middle class. If you believe any of that rhetoric then yes, I do find that humorous.

• Options

I am guessing that you haven't experienced a single payer healthcare system. All other major countries have it. Treatment is based on need, not the ability to pay and all those systems are in countries with 50% of the cost of the US and a longer life expectancy. That benefits everyone especially in times like this.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

to me the main passing of this is by coughing and sneezing. If you do this then you are symptomatic. How do you causally spread the virus if you don't have the symptoms? Seems to me you would have to touch something that the person licked recently or drank out of so wash your hands and if you drink after someone it is not a casual spread. I hea on the news how an asymptomatic person could walk past me and infect me. How?

• Options

Breathing (especially talking) is a major method of transferring the virus as droplets/aerosol is contained in the breath. Interestingly Northumbria University in northern England is trying to develop a test based on breath capture. Doubt they will succeed but that would be a real game changer if a Breathalyzer were to be available with instant read-out. To be able to test all (customer facing) employees/customers would restore consumer confidence that any business needs to return to pre-virus levels of business.

• Options

I lived in England for a couple of years. Their healthcare was nothing to write home about. A family friend needed hernia surgery and was put on the waiting list. 18 months later he was still advised to push the bulge back in and wrap it until it was his turn. The wealthy in England mostly paid for private healthcare because the public care was a joke.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Let’s try to keep it to covid check ins fellas. Healthcare debates aren’t really suitable. Thanks

• Options
  • Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not the place for this debate exactly but the quality of care often suffers significantly under single payor systems. Saying 50% cheaper is also misleading and not a true apples to apples comparison. For example, several other countries exclude infant mortality in their life expectancy numbers. The US usually does not.

Can you give one example of an industry where there are both government and private options and the government option is cheaper AND higher quality?

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

My inside info is limited in terms of predicting the effectiveness of specific drugs/vaccines in development, but I can speak confidently that the best case realistic timeline for a vaccine to be approved and production/distribution scaled up to administer to large segments of the population (ie- you or your family can go your physician's office or local pharmacy and get the vaccine the way we do flu shots) is Q4'21/Q1'22.

There are still no easy answers to the general question "how soon is too soon to open up the economy?" but I think most would agree we cannot maintain the current state through 2021.

Many here have accurately observed that media outlets from both ends of the spectrum look to weave their agenda into their reporting. I'll also acknowledge that there's no doubt that POTUS is a polarizing figure but love him or detest him, we should all be universally hoping that therapeutic options to help people prevent the progression of COVID-19 in patients to the severe/critical phase are identified, approved and made widely available as soon as is safe/possible to do so. This will become particularly critical given the long lead time for a vaccine to prevent future infections and the fact that there will almost certainly be another wave of infections/deaths between now and 2022 featuring a variant(s) of the known iterations of COVID-19.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not "liking" this - but thinking of our friends in TX, ND, OK, AK, etc. as current oil prices are not sustainable for those economies.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes - I apologize if my attempt at levity was of bad taste. My intention was to point out ANOTHER thing that no one thought they would ever see...

Now, if anyone wants to talk about our (ridiculous) dependence on oil for energy, I will find myself on a foreign side of the aisle for that one...

But I don't wish the job loss and hardship coming with this crash on anyone, anywhere. Sorry, Tex, if I made light of the hardship there.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Alls good @ghostofuga1 this thread has been going so long that it's probably best to leave alone.

But I get it now......no place on Dawgnation for this type of discussion. Hopefully in the future it's stopped before it gets out of hand.

I'm disappointed I played such a role in the discussion.

I honestly wish I didn't know where so many Dawg fans stood politically.

But Dawg fans are my friends and I'll just look forward to finally talking football again.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand the debate about shut down vs open up. Clearly the country/world can't function with everyone "sheltering in place". On the other hand, I get the other side. That the only way to get rid of this **** is to deprive it of "hosts". I have no idea which is the right road to follow. The good (?) news is that, with states beginning to open up, we'll probably find out soon.

This discussion has been closed.