Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not aware of any state showing asymptomatic cases as the tests won't show that and even if the data was recorded at time of test it would still not be able to tell asymptomatic versus pre-symptomatic.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In debate class we had to prepare arguments for both sides. Objectively, this fella has at least legitimized the perspective that treating some Covid patients with HCQ may have some benefits.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You aren't missing it, which is why number of cases is not important. It's just a number the media can sensationalize.

Are the numbers out of Belarus believable? No lockdowns.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My be off topic and no its not COVID-19 but is interesting for Corona Virus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Understand and a digital form requesting symptom information would probably result in few returns.

Oddly, to even get a testing appointment you have to state you have at least 2 of 5 C-19 symptoms, forcing people to make up symptoms, because there's no checkbox regarding being exposed to someone who's tested positive. Both of my kids have been in contact with people who have tested positive, but showed no symptoms of the virus.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I enjoy hearing the media discuss the huge "maskdebate" problem in America.

I try not to engage in "maskdebate" with others. It always has the same outcome.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No they are not. This guy is a dictator who jails political rivals.

• Options
    DawgGirl96DawgGirl96 Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tex- glad he had super mild case and rest of your family is well! It's astounding how varied the cases are. Guess that's one of biggest reasons it's a "successful" pandemic. I work in a fairly high risk setting - manage an endodontic office- root canals- fun ;) and have had bad allergies since childhood. Now that I'm hearing more & more people say their case was just like having allergies it's really concerning. Although I'm one who's been following mask, sanitize, & social distancing guidelines from start, especially since I'm in close contact with people who are in people's mouths all day, I would hate to assume it's just my allergies flaring up & end up spreading it. On other hand those of us who deal with chronic allergies can't realistically get tested every time we have some sinus congestion/allergy symptoms. And with the way testing is around here (from countless stories from our patients) they wouldn't test me anyway without more symptoms than that. Again, guess this is what makes it so dangerous. If it knocked everyone on their back for several days like flu seems to it probably wouldn't be quite so easily spread.

• Options

When my son experienced mild symptoms we thought it best he get tested because of all the football camps and workouts he was doing.

Trying not to shut down other football programs.

Doubt his symptoms were serious enough for most clinics to test him......but one of my buddies took care of it.

Glad we did it.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I glanced at a headline this morning stating there appears to be multiple "strands" of C-19. This may explain why some only have mild symptoms.

• Options

Glad you had a friend that was able to help out! I wish my office would have Dr & all of us staff tested periodically due to nature of work and generally an older patient base. But we are very small and isn't going to happen it seems. No one has been tested at all. We're in a red zone and although we do a series of screening questions and try to move patients out are starting to have more

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Multiple Cardinals players have tested positive and their game today vs the Brewers has been postponed.

Just not sure how the heck anyone in football is going to pull this off. It's a very good thing I rigged my Wii to where I can play again and I'm going to attend nursing school, because if football doesn't pull this off, I'll be busy anyway.

Edit: If everyone else tests negative, they'll be allowed to play tomorrow but still, this isn't looking very good at all.

• Options

Oops, accidentally hit post. ...we move patients out if travelled to beach etc (in SC a lot of cases here in upstate have been linked to Myrtle Beach trips etc). But as it's becoming more wide spread here we're starting to have more & more patients who are high risk that we can't reschedule. Just this week we had about 5 high risk people we had to do treatment on... can't exactly turn away a nurse who's been working on the Covid wing for last several weeks or the EMT who has been in close contact with Covid patients when they are in tooth pain. It's stressful for sure.

• Options

Again, guess this is what makes it so dangerous. If it knocked everyone on their back for several days like flu seems to it probably wouldn't be quite so easily spread.”

50% or more of flu carriers are asymptomatic. This NEJM article says up to 75%

I wouldn’t argue covid isn’t more dangerous, but maybe that is changing as the virus evolves to less lethal forms.

• Options

Sars-cov virus is 76% similar to sars-cov-2

They didn’t name them the same for nothing. I really find it unlikely that there isn’t a use for these drugs in this fight. 50 years of safe use but now it is unsafe?

I’ve been shocked at how these medical studies are conducted, such as administering known toxic dosages and then feigning surprise when the patient develops side effects.

• Options

Could it be that the flu is more dangerous to younger people and covid is more dangerous to older people?

An "extremely" small percentage of covid deaths come from 85% of the population. Or a better way to say it......vast majority of covid deaths come from 15% of the population.

Flu seems more spread out.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Updated Age distribution of cases in Florida.

As can be seen, when testing was widened towards the end of June, those 55 and over accounted for 20.8% of the cases (6/20-7/3). This has steadily increased in the 2, 2 week periods to where it now is at 28.4%. This and the increase in absolute number of cases 55+ leads to a likely continued increase in deaths for all of August and early September. Of further note is that in the last 2 weeks there has been more cases 55+ (40,394) than in the entire period from 1st March up to June 19th (30,909).

This discussion has been closed.