Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next to Commit to the G

Comments

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@texdawg said:
    @SoFL_Dawg I think I'm just as curious to see how accurate your info turns out to be on NSD as I am to see who the Dawgs end up signing.

Not questioning your info - and fully expect and understand if you miss on a couple. Just curious.

And I hope you are mostly right. Not just for the great Dawg class but also for your willingness to gather all this info.

You and me both brother. It’s a certainty it won’t be 100%. We’ve already seen the reporting by @JeffSentell on Norton. I got additional info on what went down on that too but what’s important is that he appears to be safe in the class.

I think at times when there’s a hot streak of current info, folks tend to think that people who post on boards, like myself, are speaking directly with sources like paid professionals. We all get our info from plugged in boosters, no one is talking directly to the source (recruit). Even paid professionals that speak directly to the source, hit on most, miss on some. We’ve seen that in recent months as well. Recruiting will never be 100%.

So I’ve learned to stay away from timelines unless I’m told “news dropping today” which even at times is off. See Macintosh as latest example of that when he announced the following day.

Bottom line my source is a booster, who’s plugged in, and has platinum status with UGA alumni assoc. That’s where my info comes from and excluding Pappoe, the info has been right. Info changes a lot, especially as on the field performances change (senior seasons & development of our players), but I trust it or I wouldn’t post it.

Amen. Coaching 15-18 yr olds every day and having a 14 year old son and 15year old daughter has given me the experience to know that they can change decisions quickly. Throw in the players mom and it gets even more unpredictable.

And a side note: my 14year old son is 6'5" and between 210 - 225lbs (it fluctuates a lot right now - and that is his actual bare foot hit - no exaggeration). So I'm just now starting to get a little taste of another side of recruiting. I have the fan side, I've been on coaching side for years, now adding the parent side with both football and baseball.

That’s awesome brother! I’m assuming he’s on the line and the mound?

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@texdawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@texdawg said:
    @SoFL_Dawg I think I'm just as curious to see how accurate your info turns out to be on NSD as I am to see who the Dawgs end up signing.

Not questioning your info - and fully expect and understand if you miss on a couple. Just curious.

And I hope you are mostly right. Not just for the great Dawg class but also for your willingness to gather all this info.

You and me both brother. It’s a certainty it won’t be 100%. We’ve already seen the reporting by @JeffSentell on Norton. I got additional info on what went down on that too but what’s important is that he appears to be safe in the class.

I think at times when there’s a hot streak of current info, folks tend to think that people who post on boards, like myself, are speaking directly with sources like paid professionals. We all get our info from plugged in boosters, no one is talking directly to the source (recruit). Even paid professionals that speak directly to the source, hit on most, miss on some. We’ve seen that in recent months as well. Recruiting will never be 100%.

So I’ve learned to stay away from timelines unless I’m told “news dropping today” which even at times is off. See Macintosh as latest example of that when he announced the following day.

Bottom line my source is a booster, who’s plugged in, and has platinum status with UGA alumni assoc. That’s where my info comes from and excluding Pappoe, the info has been right. Info changes a lot, especially as on the field performances change (senior seasons & development of our players), but I trust it or I wouldn’t post it.

Amen. Coaching 15-18 yr olds every day and having a 14 year old son and 15year old daughter has given me the experience to know that they can change decisions quickly. Throw in the players mom and it gets even more unpredictable.

And a side note: my 14year old son is 6'5" and between 210 - 225lbs (it fluctuates a lot right now - and that is his actual bare foot hit - no exaggeration). So I'm just now starting to get a little taste of another side of recruiting. I have the fan side, I've been on coaching side for years, now adding the parent side with both football and baseball.

Pitcher/first base (about an inch or two away from growing into a pitcher only) and DE and TE/tackle (don't know yet which direction the body is going to take us. I believe he is more the 240-250 rather than the 290-320 body type) also don't know if the feet will be quick enough to play DE or tackle. TE takes a little less athleticism than DE or tackle. But he just turned 14 in October so a lot will change.

• Options

@texdawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@texdawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@texdawg said:

Pitcher/first base (about an inch or two away from growing into a pitcher only) and DE and TE/tackle (don't know yet which direction the body is going to take us. I believe he is more the 240-250 rather than the 290-320 body type) also don't know if the feet will be quick enough to play DE or tackle. TE takes a little less athleticism than DE or tackle. But he just turned 14 in October so a lot will change.

That’s awesome, brother. I hope he takes advantage of all that’s in front of him. God willing, maybe he lines up between our hedges or the diamond.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@texdawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@texdawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@texdawg said:

That’s awesome, brother. I hope he takes advantage of all that’s in front of him. God willing, maybe he lines up between our hedges or the diamond.

Amen.

• Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Muffingod said:
    @SoFL_Dawg do you think landing Wright would impact some of those stud OT’s in next years class?

No becuase of depth charts. Keep in mind, only one of our targets is considered a true OT (Wright LT to be exact). All others are versatile pieces and can play inside and out.

Fast forwarding into end of 2019...if our team does what we know it will, it’ll start up front. A. Thomas (1st rounder), I. Wilson, Big Ben, Kindley all could leave. Both tackles and two inside guys. In addition, based on today’s evidence, B. Jones is imo, more ready to play. Mcclendon could easily be on inside. Truss looks like our future RT, following Wilson. Clay could be at either guard. Wright I think is LT but a developmental player. Who knows how quickly that materializes but Cade Mays ain’t gonna just disappear either. Still could see 1 or 2 transfers from this group not mentioned in this post as well. So in long, no, we need the depth.

Just out of curiousity, who do you hear is staying and going this year? I assume from this post that you have Cleveland staying for next year.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@ftn49 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Muffingod said:
    @SoFL_Dawg do you think landing Wright would impact some of those stud OT’s in next years class?

No becuase of depth charts. Keep in mind, only one of our targets is considered a true OT (Wright LT to be exact). All others are versatile pieces and can play inside and out.

Fast forwarding into end of 2019...if our team does what we know it will, it’ll start up front. A. Thomas (1st rounder), I. Wilson, Big Ben, Kindley all could leave. Both tackles and two inside guys. In addition, based on today’s evidence, B. Jones is imo, more ready to play. Mcclendon could easily be on inside. Truss looks like our future RT, following Wilson. Clay could be at either guard. Wright I think is LT but a developmental player. Who knows how quickly that materializes but Cade Mays ain’t gonna just disappear either. Still could see 1 or 2 transfers from this group not mentioned in this post as well. So in long, no, we need the depth.

Just out of curiousity, who do you hear is staying and going this year? I assume from this post that you have Cleveland staying for next year.

That’s iffy for me to post on main board. It’s unfair to the kids should they have the opportunity to stay. However, pretty easy to identify if you look at the position groups and determine who’s not seeing the field at all.

DB, LB, OL.
    Edit: WR could see attrition as well through transfer.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@ftn49 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Muffingod said:

That’s iffy for me to post on main board. It’s unfair to the kids should they have the opportunity to stay. However, pretty easy to identify if you look at the position groups and determine who’s not seeing the field at all.

DB, LB, OL.

I guess I didn't mean being forced out for transfers for lack of a better term, more on deciding to go pro. But I understand your reasoning, thank you.

Edit: Although I suppose it could kind of be one and the same for some players.

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

DB, LB, OL.
    Edit: WR could see attrition as well through transfer.

Going to take a guess:
    Johnson
    Hunter
    Bishop
    Landers
    Hayes
    Brini and/or Speed

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell said:
    Here's the thing about sources with recruiting. ....

• Everyone has them.
    • No sources are ever 100%
    • When you miss, you learn why. Then move on. You learn something from it. Hard to call that a miss.
    • The real skill is layering the sources. All sides. That's the best information.
    • If you're getting the information from one perspective on this, then it is more likely to be flawed.
    • This is just like writing a story. More sources on the angle of these decisions, the better.
    • The best source is the most obvious one. Hard to get, but is always the most reliable.
    • Best advice that those in the industry all know is true at the 11th hour: "If you don't know or have an idea, then he's probably going to sign somewhere else."
    • One of the most interesting things to do is to compare conflicting information from alternate sources. Where it is different? Why it is different? When did things change? There is usually always a cause-and-effect trail there.

Jeff, there was a recruiting study published by a woman (can't recall the university) earlier this year or late last year. You should try and look it up. My aging brain cannot remember the details around how many players she tracked, however what I do recall is that she followed them from the start of their first scholarship offer through to Signing Day. She reviewed all publicly written articles and interviews about the recruit. Her findings showed that the success rate of predictions (over 85% correct) was attributed to Twitter posts. She was able to determine where a recruit was leaning based on "tell" language in the players Tweets. She found a common thread with the majority of players and categorized the Twitter language to give her the best odds of predicting where they'd go.

Essentially, if you want to know where a 5* is going to college, follow their Twitter feed. If she was on this forum, she'd admit that guys like Clay Webb are virtually impossible to predict accurately, because they're so private about the process.

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RandomFan said:

@BarkingDawg1987 said:

@brentwilson said:

@DGDinNYC said:
    Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. I apologize.

it's all good. these are possible scenarios. I'm sure the staff has a "next best available" for each guy, however I'm feeling really good about Webb, Dean, Cain (if Holyfield leaves), and after @JeffSentell 's about Haselwood today I like our chances with him too.

Sanders - Strong Bama lean would be shocking if he went to UGA
    Dean - Current Bama lean
    Webb - Noone knows on this front, a lot of Bama folks believe he will stay in state. I personally believe UGA
    Wright - UGA currently in 3rd with Wright, but could be in the driver seat depending on what happens 12/19.

I have no idea about Cain and Haselwood or Keegan. This may seem like a death scenario but is really not far fetched.

Most regular readers around here already know most of this:

Sanders - A lean right now to Bama, wouldn't be shocking at all to see UGA move to the drivers seat with a good visit this weekend. He's not 100% sold on Bama quite yet; and we have Dell McGee, are RBU, and are still running the ball at a high rate...unlike Bama for all 3 of those.

Dean - AmericusDawg says UGA. He's been very, very, very, dependable over the years. And if anyone doesn't know who Americus is, then ya don't know much about UGA recruiting :*

Webb - see above.

Wright - speculation has been UGA is in the lead for weeks due to his knowledge playing time is available. Both of our starting OT's are projected to enter the draft next year and both Wright and Neal have seen how much playing time Cade Mays got this year, how badly we need stud OT's, and that we have the best OL coach in the country. The feeling is we have told Keegan to back off since we are confident in at least Wright, and/or possibly Evan Neal. We had an in-home with Keegan today and not long after Wiltfong put in his CB for Keegan to Michigan. Meaning our staff feels great about landing one of Wright or Neal.

Cain - as most around here already know, he wants in as long as Holyfield is going to the draft, which seems likely. He was sold on that "Swift" role as the 3rd RB behind Chubb and Sony his freshman year; with Swift likely going pro for Cain's sophomore season which would open up more carries for him. That's also going to be the pitch for Sanders, and this weekend will tell the staff how receptive he is to that. The feeling is Cain is a Dawg, unless Sanders wants to be a Dawg and takes that 2nd RB spot.

Who are you on the Rant? I assume you’re over there since you’re dropping AD’s name.

• Options
    RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy said:
    Who are you on the Rant? I assume you’re over there since you’re dropping AD’s name.

I stay low-key over there. Well, pretty much here too, but if I've posted there it's not more than a handful of times. I lurk on a lot of different places.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is 85 % a good prediction rate?

• Options

@DogsNotDawgs said:
    Is 85 % a good prediction rate?

If you read the article, 85% was the percentage the researcher could name the final two schools. The accuracy of the final school was about 70% which I'm sure is better than some, worse than others.

This discussion has been closed.