Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next to Commit to the G

Comments

• Options
    IwantNakobeIwantNakobe Posts: 286 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Things are beginning to pick up on chatter again. Kirby had it on lock down. Final close, I’m hearing 4 spots (have to figure who’s out currently on team).

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

This would be amazing close. Anything after Elam is gravy imo. Getting Pickens in and qualified would be the biggest coup this cycle from those west schools, surpassing Webb. I’ll be honest, I’ll go against the grain here, I’m not that high on MAR. What I’ve seen in person doesn’t excite me considering the comp he plays, but I’m confident staff can find away to maximize him under Coley. My only thing is using him for screens, seems Cook would be upgrade there imo. Lastly Cross. Staff is still in constant communication. It is believed staff could flip Cross without him coming back on campus. There are rumors Cross tried to flip to us at end of Nov, staff wasn’t prepared to take based on #’s, and Cross decided to stick with FSU at the time. This is around timeline where Cross took solo visit to FSU, to have in person discussions with that staff, in which many believed he would decommit face to face. Obviously, that didn’t happen. I share that to say we’re in it deeper with Cross than believed since Nov., and if it comes down to Cross/MAR, count me in the camp for Cross. Going to be a fun few weeks, enjoy!

Any update on chances that Pickens qualifies or is it about the same?

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jtdawg2020 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@IwantNakobe said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Things are beginning to pick up on chatter again. Kirby had it on lock down. Final close, I’m hearing 4 spots (have to figure who’s out currently on team).

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

This would be amazing close. Anything after Elam is gravy imo. Getting Pickens in and qualified would be the biggest coup this cycle from those west schools, surpassing Webb. I’ll be honest, I’ll go against the grain here, I’m not that high on MAR. What I’ve seen in person doesn’t excite me considering the comp he plays, but I’m confident staff can find away to maximize him under Coley. My only thing is using him for screens, seems Cook would be upgrade there imo. Lastly Cross. Staff is still in constant communication. It is believed staff could flip Cross without him coming back on campus. There are rumors Cross tried to flip to us at end of Nov, staff wasn’t prepared to take based on #’s, and Cross decided to stick with FSU at the time. This is around timeline where Cross took solo visit to FSU, to have in person discussions with that staff, in which many believed he would decommit face to face. Obviously, that didn’t happen. I share that to say we’re in it deeper with Cross than believed since Nov., and if it comes down to Cross/MAR, count me in the camp for Cross. Going to be a fun few weeks, enjoy!

Any update on chances that Pickens qualifies or is it about the same?

I haven’t heard anything more on that since Dec. I’ve read what y’all have; he’s progressing and he’s not doing what he needs to. Bottom line, no interviews during/immediately after visit. I’m told his family, total of 5 we’re in Athens. Twitter bio updated with UGA in background but still silent. If staff is in this deep, they must feel good about him qualifying. Maybe a summer type deal but we have to like the chances looking at how tight #’s are. If there was no chance, I’m sure we’d pass completely. Kirby has proved that he moves in silence on big news. The chatter is this is the next big news to drop.

Real G’s move in silence like lasagna

If you can find the 02 version of him, let me know.

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2019

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

What is your opinion on #s? @Denmen185 I think it was broke down the roster to find how many scholarships were left somewhere on here. He came up with 2-3. Is there more attrition coming? I'm always confused. Haha

• Options

@ThisDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

What is your opinion on #s? @Denmen185 I think it was broke down the roster to find how many scholarships were left somewhere on here. He came up with 2-3. Is there more attrition coming? I'm always confused. Haha

I heard 4 this morn. I do believe that IF Pickens qualifies he’ll be a late summer add. This is one of those things that no one will know for sure until it happens. I think minimum will be 3, but I’ll trust the source who is saying 4. If not, someone likely didn’t choose us or didn’t qualify.

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

02-08 was peak TBH.

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@ThisDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

I heard 4 this morn. I do believe that IF Pickens qualifies he’ll be a late summer add. This is one of those things that no one will know for sure until it happens. I think minimum will be 3, but I’ll trust the source who is saying 4. If not, someone likely didn’t choose us or didn’t qualify.

Would Pickens Blueshirt like JRP?

• Options

@ThisDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@ThisDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

Would Pickens Blueshirt like JRP?

No. You cannot blueshirt if you take an OV. Grayshirt we could never sell to a player like Pickens, and you typically see that tag following injury situation. Just have to hope the kid and his support group understand the task at hand in qualifying and he takes advantage of it. If not, unfortunately for all he won’t be in class.

• Options
    edited January 2019

@BrooklynDawg said:

02-08 was peak TBH.

100%. Note to the kiddos, the purple drank will kill you and your creativity.

• Options
    GeauxDawgsSicEmGeauxDawgsSicEm Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

So, are you saying you don’t see JRP in this class, even with the blueshirt option?

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have updated my Scholarship spreadsheet to include 2019 signees which excludes Plumlee. My target for general roster is 41 offense and 41 defense with 3 kickers. Our current count is 35 and 45 including Netori on offense. The big diff on offense is 4 fewer WR and 2 down TE. The higher numbers on D are 2 ILB and 1 each F5 and DB. With that in mind I put Pickens and MAR as the top 2 in terms of need and include Elam due to talent at #3.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GeauxDawgsSicEm said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

So, are you saying you don’t see JRP in this class, even with the blueshirt option?

If he blueshirts that means his scholarship won't count towards the 2019 class. It will count in the 2020 class

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@GeauxDawgsSicEm said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

If he blueshirts that means his scholarship won't count towards the 2019 class. It will count in the 2020 class

But he will still take 1 of the 2 currently open scholarships

• Options
    SwimDawgSwimDawg Posts: 160 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This may have already been discussed in previous threads so my apologies if I missed it, but given the expected attrition after 2019 season, are there any OT’s left on our board?

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SwimDawg said:
    This may have already been discussed in previous threads so my apologies if I missed it, but given the expected attrition after 2019 season, are there any OT’s left on our board?

I think the staff has been in on Sheppard and Wright but it looks as of now we won’t be adding to the oline anymore this cycle.

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When Phil Mafah started playing football at the age of eight, he started the season playing offensive and defensive line. By the end of the season, he was scoring touchdowns from the running back position and that has not changed since.

The 6-foot-1, 213 pound sophomore out of Loganville (Ga.) Grayson has become a hot name in the Peach State. After rushing for 800 yards and scoring 13 touchdowns in the fall, schools are seeing Mafah's size, viewing his film and quickly offering him a scholarship.

Georgia is the latest to offer after having him in Athens over the weekend. Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee and Texas have offered as well. Expect this list to keep growing in the coming weeks.

THE FEELING: "All of this feels kind of surreal for me right now," said Mafah. "I never imagined having offers like this — especially this early. I am just staying focused to get better at football and not get caught up in the hype. I am humbled and just working hard to get better. This has been very surprising to me."

IN-STATE OFFER: "Georgia offered me early in the visit Saturday and I was not as surprised about that one as I have been most of the others. Georgia has been showing interest, they invited me to visit, so I thought they might offer.

"They showed me around the facilities, I learned about the nutrition program and the education side, so it was a very good visit. I learned how the players are involved with the community and I saw a lot that I liked at Georgia.

"My interest is really high on Georgia after this visit. I can tell they really care about the players there and I like that a lot. Georgia is close to home, they have a great program, the feeling there was great and I liked it there. They set a really high standard."

EARLY FAVORITES: "Georgia, Clemson and Michigan are three schools I really like right now. I have not been offered by Clemson yet, but I was there for a game during the season and I liked it a lot. I also have a connection with coach Conn because he used to coach at Grayson. I really have my eye on Clemson.

"I also like Michigan a lot. It is an overall great school with great coaches and great facilities. They have a lot I like, so I really want to get up there for a visit."

RIVALS REACTION

Mafah is a very mature young man. He may only be a sophomore, but he did not talk like a sophomore in this interview. He continued to talk about being blessed and how he so thankful for each offer. He is taking things slow. A trio of schools may be high on his list right now, but he is going to get out to visit Clemson, Florida State and Georgia Tech among others, see new places and evaluate each school. Georgia did make a strong impression on him. Mafah did not have a favorite school growing up, but former Bulldog running back Nick Chubb was his favorite player. The two have similar running styles, so it is easy to see why Chubb caught Mafah's attention.

This discussion has been closed.