Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next to Commit to the G

Comments

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

When Phil Mafah started playing football at the age of eight, he started the season playing offensive and defensive line. By the end of the season, he was scoring touchdowns from the running back position and that has not changed since.

The 6-foot-1, 213 pound sophomore out of Loganville (Ga.) Grayson has become a hot name in the Peach State. After rushing for 800 yards and scoring 13 touchdowns in the fall, schools are seeing Mafah's size, viewing his film and quickly offering him a scholarship.

Georgia is the latest to offer after having him in Athens over the weekend. Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee and Texas have offered as well. Expect this list to keep growing in the coming weeks.

THE FEELING: "All of this feels kind of surreal for me right now," said Mafah. "I never imagined having offers like this — especially this early. I am just staying focused to get better at football and not get caught up in the hype. I am humbled and just working hard to get better. This has been very surprising to me."

IN-STATE OFFER: "Georgia offered me early in the visit Saturday and I was not as surprised about that one as I have been most of the others. Georgia has been showing interest, they invited me to visit, so I thought they might offer.

"They showed me around the facilities, I learned about the nutrition program and the education side, so it was a very good visit. I learned how the players are involved with the community and I saw a lot that I liked at Georgia.

"My interest is really high on Georgia after this visit. I can tell they really care about the players there and I like that a lot. Georgia is close to home, they have a great program, the feeling there was great and I liked it there. They set a really high standard."

EARLY FAVORITES: "Georgia, Clemson and Michigan are three schools I really like right now. I have not been offered by Clemson yet, but I was there for a game during the season and I liked it a lot. I also have a connection with coach Conn because he used to coach at Grayson. I really have my eye on Clemson.

"I also like Michigan a lot. It is an overall great school with great coaches and great facilities. They have a lot I like, so I really want to get up there for a visit."

RIVALS REACTION

Mafah is a very mature young man. He may only be a sophomore, but he did not talk like a sophomore in this interview. He continued to talk about being blessed and how he so thankful for each offer. He is taking things slow. A trio of schools may be high on his list right now, but he is going to get out to visit Clemson, Florida State and Georgia Tech among others, see new places and evaluate each school. Georgia did make a strong impression on him. Mafah did not have a favorite school growing up, but former Bulldog running back Nick Chubb was his favorite player. The two have similar running styles, so it is easy to see why Chubb caught Mafah's attention.

UGA / Clemson battle. (Take a visit up north in the winter and Mich may be out haha)

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

When Phil Mafah started playing football at the age of eight, he started the season playing offensive and defensive line. By the end of the season, he was scoring touchdowns from the running back position and that has not changed since.

The 6-foot-1, 213 pound sophomore out of Loganville (Ga.) Grayson has become a hot name in the Peach State. After rushing for 800 yards and scoring 13 touchdowns in the fall, schools are seeing Mafah's size, viewing his film and quickly offering him a scholarship.

Georgia is the latest to offer after having him in Athens over the weekend. Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee and Texas have offered as well. Expect this list to keep growing in the coming weeks.

THE FEELING: "All of this feels kind of surreal for me right now," said Mafah. "I never imagined having offers like this — especially this early. I am just staying focused to get better at football and not get caught up in the hype. I am humbled and just working hard to get better. This has been very surprising to me."

IN-STATE OFFER: "Georgia offered me early in the visit Saturday and I was not as surprised about that one as I have been most of the others. Georgia has been showing interest, they invited me to visit, so I thought they might offer.

"They showed me around the facilities, I learned about the nutrition program and the education side, so it was a very good visit. I learned how the players are involved with the community and I saw a lot that I liked at Georgia.

"My interest is really high on Georgia after this visit. I can tell they really care about the players there and I like that a lot. Georgia is close to home, they have a great program, the feeling there was great and I liked it there. They set a really high standard."

EARLY FAVORITES: "Georgia, Clemson and Michigan are three schools I really like right now. I have not been offered by Clemson yet, but I was there for a game during the season and I liked it a lot. I also have a connection with coach Conn because he used to coach at Grayson. I really have my eye on Clemson.

"I also like Michigan a lot. It is an overall great school with great coaches and great facilities. They have a lot I like, so I really want to get up there for a visit."

RIVALS REACTION

Mafah is a very mature young man. He may only be a sophomore, but he did not talk like a sophomore in this interview. He continued to talk about being blessed and how he so thankful for each offer. He is taking things slow. A trio of schools may be high on his list right now, but he is going to get out to visit Clemson, Florida State and Georgia Tech among others, see new places and evaluate each school. Georgia did make a strong impression on him. Mafah did not have a favorite school growing up, but former Bulldog running back Nick Chubb was his favorite player. The two have similar running styles, so it is easy to see why Chubb caught Mafah's attention.

UGA / Clemson battle. (Take a visit up north in the winter and Mich may be out haha)

Idk, it sounded like Clemson is a lock. All they gotta do is offer.

• Options

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

RIVALS REACTION

2021 - nothing is a lock for an instate guy this staff is after.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

RIVALS REACTION

2021 - nothing is a lock for an instate guy this staff is after.

Oh of course. I think everybody knows why he's high Clemson right now

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GeauxDawgsSicEm said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Things are beginning to pick up on chatter again. Kirby had it on lock down. Final close, I’m hearing 4 spots (have to figure who’s out currently on team).

Elam
    Pickens
    Seither
    Best available MAR/Cross

So, are you saying you don’t see JRP in this class, even with the blueshirt option?

No, I doubt he sticks.

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coley & Kirby need to change this perception if we hope to consistently land elite WRs.
    The sentiment expressed below is widespread out there.

This was a quote from highly touted 2020 WR EJ Williams after his visit to Athens this past weekend:
    “I mean right now I fit well at Georgia in my eyes even though they are a run-heavy school,” he said. “That’s a big thing for me, too. … They don’t throw the ball that much.”

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:
    Coley & Kirby need to change this perception if we hope to consistently land elite WRs.

This was a quote from highly touted 2020 WR EJ Williams after his visit to Athens this past weekend:
    “I mean right now I fit well at Georgia in my eyes even though they are a run-heavy school,” he said. “That’s a big thing for me, too. … They don’t throw the ball that much.”

He’s right, I’m not saying abandon the run but we need to take some shots and we need to prevent the D from loading the box on us. I think CJC is going to do that, I just have this feeling that he’s way more in tune to what college football is like today. Maybe I’m wrong but we’ll see!

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bigdawg2223 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

He’s right, I’m not saying abandon the run but we need to take some shots and we need to prevent the D from loading the box on us. I think CJC is going to do that, I just have this feeling that he’s way more in tune to what college football is like today. Maybe I’m wrong but we’ll see!

I also hope that we change the balance marginally. This would also reflect the change we've seen in the NFL. Pro style today is more open than the Riggins style offense back in the day.

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Denmen185 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

I also hope that we change the balance marginally. This would also reflect the change we've seen in the NFL. Pro style today is more open than the Riggins style offense back in the day.

Kind of funny how we expect the offense under CJC to be different than the offense under CJC.

So are you saying it’s going to be the same?

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bigdawg2223 said:

@donm said:

@Denmen185 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Kind of funny how we expect the offense under CJC to be different than the offense under CJC.

No. Expect a fullback soon. I personally am keeping my fingers crossed.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod

@tiger_62082 said:

This will be negative recruiting fodder until we start throwing the ball more. Hoping Jake can have the reigns taken off a bit and throw it around to guys he's spent the last three springs getting in step with. I would think JJ and Tyler Simmons should be more than ready to take it to the next level

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Denmen185 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Well you won't have to endure the no change offense when QBJF gets replaced by QBJF :D

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bigdawg2223 said:

@donm said:

@Denmen185 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@tiger_62082 said:

just commenting upon identical initials. Can't imagine there won't be some differences, perhaps significant ones.

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

Real G’s move in silence like lasagna

If you can find the 02 version of him, let me know.

02-08 was peak TBH.

100%. Note to the kiddos, the purple drank will kill you and your creativity.

That's a fact.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019
  • Options

Worth tossing a scholly at, but he looks to be a Ohio St lean (twitter is loaded with it).

This discussion has been closed.