Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next to Commit to the G

Comments

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    YYY> @Muffingod said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    (Potential plan B at WR, in case Pickens doesn’t workout ? UGA was in on early, when this kid was labeled as an ATH, with some seeing him as a safety. Could be considered as Tongue-Light type player)

https://247sports.com/Player/Jonathan-Mingo-46047181/

“Florida State is still kind of in it, but it’s basically down to Ole Miss, Georgia and Mississippi State,”

If Pickens doesn’t work out (hearing Sat is cut off day on moving forward), I hope staff just takes a grad transfer for a one year rental. Mingo is an OK player, not a burner, don’t see the huge upside. Personally feel like he’s a lesser version of Ridley. Strong hands, capable route runner, but will just be a guy on depth chart. We do need a WR based on bodies, particularly at Z position.

If staff feels good about getting 3 next class, I’d lean to one year rental.

How do you feel about the chances of him picking us coming out of the visit?

Heard late yesterday its all about qualifying and chatter is it looks like he won’t. Theyre expecting some test scores back this week, Saturday will be a fork in road type day. Either keep pursuing or moving on.

Not usually one to criticize a kid, but it seems like if this was a priority for him, things wouldn't be so up in the air. I'm certainly disappointed because selfishly I want him catching jump balls for us the next few years. We haven't traditionally been in the running for receivers this good.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    (Potential plan B at WR, in case Pickens doesn’t workout ? UGA was in on early, when this kid was labeled as an ATH, with some seeing him as a safety. Could be considered as Tongue-Light type player)

“Florida State is still kind of in it, but it’s basically down to Ole Miss, Georgia and Mississippi State,”

If Pickens doesn’t work out (hearing Sat is cut off day on moving forward), I hope staff just takes a grad transfer for a one year rental. Mingo is an OK player, not a burner, don’t see the huge upside. Personally feel like he’s a lesser version of Ridley. Strong hands, capable route runner, but will just be a guy on depth chart. We do need a WR based on bodies, particularly at Z position.

IMO we need 3 per year. A one year rental would mean next year we would lose 2 Seniors and potentially Robertson and Holloman leaving just 5 WR. My thought is that 10 is a minimum with 1 senior and 3 per class (assumes a championship team likely loses 2 to draft). Opting for a rental will potentially give us 1 senior, 3 juniors,and 1 sophmore in 2020 then just 1 senior and 1 junior in 2021. I favor going for 2 more WR in this class plus Elam/Cross.

Good point. Doubtful your scenario happens though. I think there will be 1 more WR taken (or a player that is versatile enough to line up at WR) this year. Remains to be seen if transfer/grad transfer or true signee is targeted. Again, these scenarios are back up plans to Pickens. Next year will likely be 3 WR plus another transfer for a rental.

Staff will not continue to take bodies they feel will be challenged to see the field.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    YYY> @Muffingod said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Heard late yesterday its all about qualifying and chatter is it looks like he won’t. Theyre expecting some test scores back this week, Saturday will be a fork in road type day. Either keep pursuing or moving on.

This is probably a dumb question, but Auburn must have a different qualifying threshold if he's still in play for them. Do you know what those specifics are?

• Options

@CTDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    YYY> @Muffingod said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Not usually one to criticize a kid, but it seems like if this was a priority for him, things wouldn't be so up in the air. I'm certainly disappointed because selfishly I want him catching jump balls for us the next few years. We haven't traditionally been in the running for receivers this good.

Sux for all. Exchanging messages, a point was brought up that I personally overlooked. If a player is struggling to qualify in HS, what’s the likelihood they dedicate themselves to learn the playbook while also taking a class load from UGA? It was a sobering point. I want Pickens talent in this class, but again that point was sobering.

DJ Daniel faced a similiar situation last year. He put his head down, delayed his announcement until he was cleared, then announced. This is what it takes...the chatter is maybe Pickens isn’t doing that.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CTDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    YYY> @Muffingod said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

This is probably a dumb question, but Auburn must have a different qualifying threshold if he's still in play for them. Do you know those specifics are?

All players have to meet the NCAA minimum requirements. Most colleges have higher requirements than the NCAA. If he doesn't hit the right #'s on his ACT (my guess is he has avoided the SAT) it doesn't matter what the school's requirements are. If he does make the NCAA cutoff, then the school's requirements may come into play. Auburn (and others) will take a kid that Stanford or Duke won't - school's standards apply there.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

IMO we need 3 per year. A one year rental would mean next year we would lose 2 Seniors and potentially Robertson and Holloman leaving just 5 WR. My thought is that 10 is a minimum with 1 senior and 3 per class (assumes a championship team likely loses 2 to draft). Opting for a rental will potentially give us 1 senior, 3 juniors,and 1 sophmore in 2020 then just 1 senior and 1 junior in 2021. I favor going for 2 more WR in this class plus Elam/Cross.

Good point. Doubtful your scenario happens though. I think there will be 1 more WR taken (or a player that is versatile enough to line up at WR) this year. Remains to be seen if transfer/grad transfer or true signee is targeted. Again, these scenarios are back up plans to Pickens. Next year will likely be 3 WR plus another transfer for a rental.

Staff will not continue to take bodies they feel will be challenged to see the field.

I would feel different if Webb moves back to WR in which case I would go with Richards plus 1 WR and Elam/Cross or both if we have 4 spots

• Options
    edited January 2019

@CTDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    YYY> @Muffingod said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

This is probably a dumb question, but Auburn must have a different qualifying threshold if he's still in play for them. Do you know those specifics are?

Honoring the commitment appears to be trying to show loyalty for future gain. Chatter is JUCO bound, potentially greater than 1 year.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So Darnell Wright definitely will not make an OV to UGA? Was there an article on that?

• Options

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

I would feel different if Webb moves back to WR in which case I would go with Richards plus 1 WR and Elam/Cross or both if we have 4 spots

Tough ask on Webb. Truly sets him back. Depending on need (injury), I’d watch Cook moving more to a slot role to provide depth. This assumes MAR is in class to backfill.

X WR-Holloman, Bush, Landers, Pickens*
    Z WR-Simmons, Drob, Blount,
    Slot-Jackson, Blaylock, Cook*, Richards*

Tongue I don’t know where they’ll put him but I’d guess some sort of hybrid. Z WRs normally are in motion (jet sweeps) etc. Not sure Tongue will be used in that fashion.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Tough ask on Webb. Truly sets him back. Depending on need (injury), I’d watch Cook moving more to a slot role to provide depth. This assumes MAR is in class to backfill.

Tongue I don’t know where they’ll put him but I’d guess some sort of hybrid. Z WRs normally are in motion (jet sweeps) etc. Not sure Tongue will be used in that fashion.

My fear is that Webb won't see meaningful PT at corner

• Options

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Denmen185 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

My fear is that Webb won't see meaningful PT at corner

Understood. He’s the Money now in Dime packages. Essentially he’s seeing meaningful minutes in our biggest games (Bama, Playoff-CU/OU, etc). Those teams use packages that force us into the Dime. I think year 3 moving back to WR, he might as well transfer. Going to be very tough to leap frog Simmons & Drob this year.

• Options

@FirePlugDawg said:
    So Darnell Wright definitely will not make an OV to UGA? Was there an article on that?

I was told he wasn’t going to visit. Not sure if an article has been released or not.

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

Michigan struck recruiting gold in the state of Oklahoma in 2019 when it grabbed five-star safety Daxton Hill out of Tulsa. Now the Wolverines are back in the Sooner State again for the 2020 cycle hoping to hit pay-dirt in the form of Broken Arrow (Okla.) offensive tackle Andrew Raym. Unlike with Hill, however, the primary competition for Raym will likely come from his home state. The four-star lineman pledged to the Sooners in the fall of his sophomore year before rescinding it the following spring.

“I committed when I was 15,” Raym said. “I was just young, and I wanted to sit back and (get the process out of the way). I was doing what was right for my future.”

“I grew up always a diehard fan of OU,” he added. “I was committed to OU for quite some time, and then I decided to open things back up and explore.”

Michigan was among the schools that seized that opportunity. Second-year Wolverine assistant Sherrone Moore, a former Oklahoma offensive lineman, is the point man in Raym’s Maize & Blue recruitment. The two built a fairly strong relationship over the past year.

“He’s the one that comes and sees me all the time at our school,” Raym said of Moore. “And so, he’s obviously more of a personal connection.”

Other Michigan coaches, especially offensive line coach Ed Warinner, have added to the rapport by staying in frequent contact.

“I’ve only talked to (Warinner) over the phone,” Raym said. “I haven’t’ gotten to meet him in person. But, from what he sounds like, he’s a great guy.”

“I just had a great connection with a bunch of the people up there in Michigan,” Raym added. “I mean I talk to them daily. So, I just keep (them) in my mind.”

The next step in the relationship building process is getting Raym up to Ann Arbor for a visit. To date he has only been to Oklahoma, Arkansas, and LSU. No other trips have scheduled yet, but that that will certainly change in the coming months. And during the Under Armour Future 50 in Orlando earlier this month, he laid out the schools that were locks to be in mix until he makes his final decision.

“I’d say (Oklahoma), probably Georgia, Michigan, and (Alabama),” Raym replied when asked which schools he knows for sure will be under consideration until he makes his final decision.

“My officials are going to be OU, Georgia, Michigan, Notre Dame, and then I don’t know about the fifth one.”

Determining the winner among those and any other favorites that emerge will come down to a couple major factors.

Said Raym, “just what feels like home… and I want to go to a school that has good engineering. So, that will also play.”

Oklahoma has a clear head start on the pack due to proximity and familiarity. Those are clear advantages for the Sooners.

“In their minds, they think I’m going there 100%,” said Raym. “Coach Riley and Coach (Bedenaugh), they were the first people to ever recruit me. And so, I’ve known them for so long… over three years now. They’re almost kind of like family, honestly.”

But as was mentioned previously, the talented is determined to build similar relationships elsewhere in an effort to give other suitors honest looks. That’s reflected in the list of coaches he says he has formed the best relationships with.

“I’d say those would be probably Coach (Bedenaugh), Coach (Sam) Pittman and Coach (Sherrone) Moore.”

Georgia offensive line coach Sam Pittman has been a frequent adversary for Michigan in recent years. His track record and style of play are responsible for making the Bulldogs strong contenders also.

“(The pro style attack) is another reason I do like Georgia,” said Raym. “I do like the run offense.

“Again, like Michigan, it’s just (that) I want to play for someone who’s obviously prestigious,” he later added. “And then me and Coach Pittman have quite a bit of similarities and when we talk for a long time. I feel a little bit of a connection with him. And so, I’m just So, I just keep (them) in my mind.”

The next step in the relationship building process is getting Raym up to Ann Arbor for a visit. To date he has only been to Oklahoma, Arkansas, and LSU. No other trips have scheduled yet, but that that will certainly change in the coming months. And during the Under Armour Future 50 in Orlando earlier this month, he laid out the schools that were locks to be in mix until he makes his final decision.

“I’d say (Oklahoma), probably Georgia, Michigan, and (Alabama),” Raym replied when asked which schools he knows for sure will be under consideration until he makes his final decision.

“My officials are going to be OU, Georgia, Michigan, Notre Dame, and then I don’t know about the fifth one.”

Determining the winner among those and any other favorites that emerge will come down to a couple major factors.

Oklahoma has a clear head start on the pack due to proximity and familiarity. Those are clear advantages for the Sooners.

“In their minds, they think I’m going there 100%,” said Raym. “Coach Riley and Coach (Bedenaugh), they were the first people to ever recruit me. And so, I’ve known them for so long… over three years now. They’re almost kind of like family, honestly.”

But as was mentioned previously, the talented is determined to build similar relationships elsewhere in an effort to give other suitors honest looks. That’s reflected in the list of coaches he says he has formed the best relationships with.

“I’d say those would be probably Coach (Bedenaugh), Coach (Sam) Pittman and Coach (Sherrone) Moore.”

Georgia offensive line coach Sam Pittman has been a frequent adversary for Michigan in recent years. His track record and style of play are responsible for making the Bulldogs strong contenders also.

“(The pro style attack) is another reason I do like Georgia,” said Raym. “I do like the run offense.

“Again, like Michigan, it’s just (that) I want to play for someone who’s obviously prestigious,” he later added. “And then me and Coach Pittman have quite a bit of similarities and when we talk for a long time. I feel a little bit of a connection with him. And so, I’m just keeping him in mind.”

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

TigerWoods62082

Sling TV

DefaultName
    Michigan Among Top Contenders for 4-star Oklahoma OT
    VIP BySAM WEBB 119 minutes ago
    0 Comments

Michigan struck recruiting gold in the state of Oklahoma in 2019 when it grabbed five-star safety Daxton Hill out of Tulsa. Now the Wolverines are back in the Sooner State again for the 2020 cycle hoping to hit pay-dirt in the form of Broken Arrow (Okla.) offensive tackle Andrew Raym. Unlike with Hill, however, the primary competition for Raym will likely come from his home state. The four-star lineman pledged to the Sooners in the fall of his sophomore year before rescinding it the following spring.

“I committed when I was 15,” Raym said. “I was just young, and I wanted to sit back and (get the process out of the way). I was doing what was right for my future.”

“I grew up always a diehard fan of OU,” he added. “I was committed to OU for quite some time, and then I decided to open things back up and explore.”

Michigan was among the schools that seized that opportunity. Second-year Wolverine assistant Sherrone Moore, a former Oklahoma offensive lineman, is the point man in Raym’s Maize & Blue recruitment. The two built a fairly strong relationship over the past year.

“He’s the one that comes and sees me all the time at our school,” Raym said of Moore. “And so, he’s obviously more of a personal connection.”

Other Michigan coaches, especially offensive line coach Ed Warinner, have added to the rapport by staying in frequent contact.

“I’ve only talked to (Warinner) over the phone,” Raym said. “I haven’t’ gotten to meet him in person. But, from what he sounds like, he’s a great guy.”

“I just had a great connection with a bunch of the people up there in Michigan,” Raym added. “I mean I talk to them daily. So, I just keep (them) in my mind.”

Said Raym, “just what feels like home… and I want to go to a school that has good engineering. So, that will also play.”

“Again, like Michigan, it’s just (that) I want to play for someone who’s obviously prestigious,” he later added. “And then me and Coach Pittman have quite a bit of similarities and when we talk for a long time. I feel a little bit of a connection with him. And so, I’m just So, I just keep (them) in my mind.”

“Again, like Michigan, it’s just (that) I want to play for someone who’s obviously prestigious,” he later added. “And then me and Coach Pittman have quite a bit of similarities and when we talk for a long time. I feel a little bit of a connection with him. And so, I’m just keeping him in mind.”

Holy wall of text Batman!

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 Thanks sir!! I really appreciate the insight.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
This discussion has been closed.