Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why does everyone think that UF stands a chance of beating us?

Comments

• Options
    mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2018

Beware of the 1998 and 2008 final scores of the UGA vs UF games after beating them by double digits in 1997 and 2007. We also went to Death Valley and beat LSU in 1998 and 2008, just like we're doing in 2018. Remember what happened with Auburn and Mizzou in 2013 after being horrible in 2012. You never know how a team can turnaround in one year. Dan Mullen with UF gives me a lot of vibes of Gus Malzahn with Auburn. Just saying. Historically, UGA has hardly beaten Florida in back to back years by double digits. Next season it'll be a nail biter. Close win, close loss, or UF blows us out. Plus, the UF game comes before Kentucky too. What happened against South Carolina in 2012, Auburn in 2013, Florida from 2014-2016, and Auburn in 2017? All of those games came before Kentucky on our schedule. Georgia has lost a game for 6 consecutive years before Kentucky, 5 of those being in blowout fashion. 2011 was the last time we won a game before Kentucky, when we blew out Auburn in Athens.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:
    I'm writing this game off as a W as well. Sure, it's a rivalry game, but UF is in re-build mode, not reload like we are. I'm banking on a 34-17 type win.

There is no history to prove we're in a ''reload'' cycle ..YET.
    Bama has perpetual #1 classes going back as far as any non-true freshman on their team.
    So their depth and training of talent still exceeds our roster.
    We're at least a year away from having their level of stockpiled veteran talent to replace those we lose.

We have more depth than UF by FAR. But either way, the fact still stands that they are re-building, we are not.

We really have little gauge of where UF is, we only have how they performed under a previous staff to go by.
    They have recruited well enough to field a good team.
    Also, we did lose a lot in both production and leadership, all at key positions.
    We're ''rebuilding'' the secondary, ILB and OLB units, our top RBs, LT and leading receiver from 2017 are also gone.

if you dont think we are reloading at running back i dont know what else to do for you. Swift and Holyfield as your 1/2 and a very underappreciated herrian at 3. plus the #1 and #3 running backs coming in a fresh blood... as far as Wynn moving on, how many SEC teams have a guy the caliber of Andrew Thomas coming in to take the job at LT? as a true soph he will be one of the better lineman in the entire conference next year. several guys at OLB showed tons of potential if given the opportunity to contribute this year. i agree lots of talent left but some of yall talk like they guys on the roster now will not make any reasonable improvements over last year. the only place a see significant drop off is at ILB only because roquan was that special.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@oldon42 said:

@JRT812 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Woul> @JRT812 said:

Did I miss something? My recollection was people thinking we would lose to SC well before Florida came around.

Personally, I don’t see us getting beat by Florida and should roll through the east.

For clarity did you mean to say “would” vs. “could”?

Thought people acted as we would, but I guess the word could is more appropriate

As one of the people who thought South Carolina was Georgia's most dangerous game. I will try and make the case again. South Carolina is not the best team Georgia will play. In my opinion that is either Auburn or LSU. However South Carolina is the second game and for that reason is a more likely upset. It is much more likely that Georgia's DB's and/or LB's will make unforced errors in the second game than in either the 7 or 10 game.

I understand, but the biggest red flag about the game is the same for both teams. It’s early in the season for either side.

Yes it is and most likely Georgia is going to win easily. It is the unpredictability off the second game that is worrisome. South Carolina has both a good QB and a very good wide receiver. I can see the chance for this combination to cays trouble. I think that Georgia is going to be ready for Auburn after last year or I would be more worried about them. I do not know how to predict the Florida game. Who is going to be their QB how much better will they be with all the felons back. Does LSU have a QB?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VaBeachDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:
    I'm writing this game off as a W as well. Sure, it's a rivalry game, but UF is in re-build mode, not reload like we are. I'm banking on a 34-17 type win.

Bama has perpetual #1 classes going back as far as any non-true freshman on their team.
    We're at least a year away from having their level of stockpiled veteran talent to replace those we lose.

We have more depth than UF by FAR. But either way, the fact still stands that they are re-building, we are not.

We really have little gauge of where UF is, we only have how they performed under a previous staff to go by.
    Also, we did lose a lot in both production and leadership, all at key positions.
    We're ''rebuilding'' the secondary, ILB and OLB units, our top RBs, LT and leading receiver from 2017 are also gone.

if you dont think we are reloading at running back i dont know what else to do for you. Swift and Holyfield as your 1/2 and a very underappreciated herrian at 3. plus the #1 and #3 running backs coming in a fresh blood... as far as Wynn moving on, how many SEC teams have a guy the caliber of Andrew Thomas coming in to take the job at LT? as a true soph he will be one of the better lineman in the entire conference next year. several guys at OLB showed tons of potential if given the opportunity to contribute this year. i agree lots of talent left but some of yall talk like they guys on the roster now will not make any reasonable improvements over last year. the only place a see significant drop off is at ILB only because roquan was that special.

Only Swift has proven he's in either Chubb's or Sony's class as a player.
    As for Thomas, it's not clear he'll even win the LT job yet, but obviously he's a mature and proven talent.
    As for replacing Roquan with equal results, it ain't happening.
    The secondary we lost was together for most of 4 seasons, that will be tough to counter.
    Also while neither Carter or Bellamy developed as pass rushers the way many thought they would, last season they were excellent at holding the edge on running downs, that was critical in our success on defense.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mqg96 said:
    Beware of the 1998 and 2008 final scores of the UGA vs UF games after beating them by double digits in 1997 and 2007. We also went to Death Valley and beat LSU in 1998 and 2008, just like we're doing in 2018. Remember what happened with Auburn and Mizzou in 2013 after being horrible in 2012. You never know how a team can turnaround in one year. Dan Mullen with UF gives me a lot of vibes of Gus Malzahn with Auburn. Just saying. Historically, UGA has hardly beaten Florida in back to back years by double digits. Next season it'll be a nail biter. Close win, close loss, or UF blows us out. Plus, the UF game comes before Kentucky too. What happened against South Carolina in 2012, Auburn in 2013, Florida from 2014-2016, and Auburn in 2017? All of those games came before Kentucky on our schedule. Georgia has lost a game for 6 consecutive years before Kentucky, 5 of those being in blowout fashion. 2011 was the last time we won a game before Kentucky, when we blew out Auburn in Athens.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane, however this is a different capn driving the ship. You’re right, UF will be tough but they are not talented enough, nor will we be ill prepared to blow us out. Jordan Hare aside, I’m not thinking SEC teams blow us out. We will win these games. USCjr: 31-17. LSU: 20-17. UF: 21-10. Auburn: 34-20. Bama: 28-24

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If I understand what trolling is , this seems to be a troll post.
    Credit to the Gators of the past, I have witnessed too many losses. I am looking forward to building upon last years victory and holding up Jake n Richie words on the Xmas commit video about 18 months ago.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

As for Thomas, it's not clear he'll even win the LT job yet, but obviously he's a mature and proven talent.
    The secondary we lost was together for most of 4 seasons, that will be tough to counter.
    Also while neither Carter or Bellamy developed as pass rushers the way many thought they would, last season they were excellent at holding the edge on running downs, that was critical in our success on defense.

ok... ill play
    the caliber of the uga rb room can run as well or better than anyone in the country...? is always how quickly and if they will embrace blocking (some of the top rb have known they were power 5 players in middle school. They know they have to block to get paid one day. this causes guys who will prob not get paid one day but want to play... to block as well)
    If thomas is not on the field we are going backwards and thats a problem. (imo no way he does not start)
    roquan is a uga legend ...but had things he was poor at...plenty has been said and written about his weaknesses when engaging larger blockers.....so for us to have the talent to scheme to the opponent on a down by down basis ...much like the nfl....is a positive for us in the long run. So is he a loss? ...uh yea...but we have multiple guys filling his gaps...and the next great uga lb will be up next...or group..
    secondary was not irreplaceable ...for example...all the things kirby put out in the press that rich needs to work on...are the same things dom did his entire career...parrish was always picked on...even though he was usually in great position and saw the play correctly...he had a tough time finishing the play...(look at the targets in the playoffs last yr)
    tough to counter your last point ...but i would give more credit to the scheme as a whole...while walker was allowed go on occasion...i think the scheme was set up to set the edges and allow the linebackers to work...thus allowing roquan to shine..

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BamaDawg said:

@cliffhanger said:

@BamaDawg said:
    Anyone who doesnt believe that we could lose on any given saturday (with a few exceptions) needs to put the kool aid down. Think OSU thought they were going to lose when last year's team left for an easy game in the state of Iowa? Think Custard was worried about losing?

I'm all for confidence, and have preached it here before. But being blindy cocky is asking for trouble.

Blindly cocky and confidant are two different things

I'm not for sure if you are agreeing with me or not. I thought my post distinguishes between the two. Maybe not.

So I will say it again, I'm all for confidence, but being blindly cocky is asking for trouble.

Can they win? Sure, but not this year, so long as we go into the game, and every game we play, taking the other team seriously. We should still be confident in our team.

• Options
    edited April 2018

@3rdshift said:

@WCDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

ok... ill play
    the caliber of the uga rb room can run as well or better than anyone in the country...? is always how quickly and if they will embrace blocking (some of the top rb have known they were power 5 players in middle school. They know they have to block to get paid one day. this causes guys who will prob not get paid one day but want to play... to block as well)
    If thomas is not on the field we are going backwards and thats a problem. (imo no way he does not start)
    roquan is a uga legend ...but had things he was poor at...plenty has been said and written about his weaknesses when engaging larger blockers.....so for us to have the talent to scheme to the opponent on a down by down basis ...much like the nfl....is a positive for us in the long run. So is he a loss? ...uh yea...but we have multiple guys filling his gaps...and the next great uga lb will be up next...or group..
    secondary was not irreplaceable ...for example...all the things kirby put out in the press that rich needs to work on...are the same things dom did his entire career...parrish was always picked on...even though he was usually in great position and saw the play correctly...he had a tough time finishing the play...(look at the targets in the playoffs last yr)
    tough to counter your last point ...but i would give more credit to the scheme as a whole...while walker was allowed go on occasion...i think the scheme was set up to set the edges and allow the linebackers to work...thus allowing roquan to shine..

Proven veterans vs unproven rookies...hmmm.
    Please review the 247 5 star RBs from the past 5 years, how many turned out as dominant backs equal to where Sony and Chubb were in 2017 ?
    White was a great hs back, so was Jasper Sanks, White is also coming off an ACL injury.
    Cook looks very good, but he's undersized, and again, unproven.
    Holyfield can be a beast, but he's yet to carry the load and he's had years of struggle in pass-pro.

We have great POTENTIAL under Swift, but it's far from a sure thing.

As for your assessment of Roquan...please.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jefferson, Clayton, Slaton, and Zach Carter are good, but there is a significant drop off in talent after the starters. Florida does not have the depth on D front seven that they had two years ago. Georgia's OL and ground game will eat up the Gators. Florida may be better offensively (under Mullen) than they were last year, but they still cannot hang with teams like Alabama or Georgia for four quarters.
    McElwain may have won the east two years in a row, but they got blown away by Bama in the SECCG, and realistically the Gators have not been relevant in the national picture since Urban/ Tebow. They have not improved their personnel enough from 2016 to hang with the likes of Bama. The Dawgs certainly have. The Dawgs are relevant. The Dawgs are elite.
    As mentioned above, the "any given Saturday" rule applies to any SEC opponent, but Georgia will win this game.
    They'll win it next year, too.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@3rdshift said:

@WCDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

@WCDawg said:

@jgf1031 said:

ok... ill play

Proven veterans vs unproven rookies...hmmm.
    Please review the 247 5 star RBs from the past 5 years, how many turned out as dominant backs equal to where Sony and Chubb were in 2017 ?
    White was a great hs back, so was Jasper Sanks, White is also coming off an ACL injury.
    Cook looks very good, but he's undersized, and again, unproven.
    Holyfield can be a beast, but he's yet to carry the load and he's had years of struggle in pass-pro.

We have great POTENTIAL under Swift, but it's far from a sure thing.

As for your assessment of Roquan...please.

We are making reasonable projections based off the film we have seen, which is extremely promising for must of the guys we have discussed. If you want to completely refuse to acknowledge potentional that’s on you. But if you want to claim our RB room is rebuilding because we can’t one for one replace 2 all time greats I’ll respectfully tell you that’s rediculous. Any team in the nation would trade for our backfield with the exception of maybe Bama.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigGAdawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@cliffhanger said:

@BamaDawg said:
    Anyone who doesnt believe that we could lose on any given saturday (with a few exceptions) needs to put the kool aid down. Think OSU thought they were going to lose when last year's team left for an easy game in the state of Iowa? Think Custard was worried about losing?

I'm all for confidence, and have preached it here before. But being blindy cocky is asking for trouble.

Blindly cocky and confidant are two different things

I'm not for sure if you are agreeing with me or not. I thought my post distinguishes between the two. Maybe not.

So I will say it again, I'm all for confidence, but being blindly cocky is asking for trouble.

Can they win? Sure, but not this year, so long as we go into the game, and every game we play, taking the other team seriously. We should still be confident in our team.

I dont disagee with you

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2018

@VaBeachDawg , @WCDawg , @jgf1031, @3rdshift ,
    This really is a GREAT thread, & all sides are presenting valid arguments to support each one their own side(s) of the crystal ball issue which is what we ALL WANT, & that is Georgia having some more SERIOUS success on the field of play. I have really enjoyed reading y'all's thoughts here. I for one am REALLY excited about the upcoming 2018 season. Like CKS said back in 2017, when he was asked if (due to the huge success of an 11-1 regular season, an SEC Championship, & a CFP birth) that was Georgia "here too early, & ahead of schedule?"... his response was so perfect to the media when posed with this question. Then he answered, (& I might NOT have this quote just perfect, but essentially it went like this) "There is no schedule, what you have on your team at that time?, that is what you have." "There is no timeline." SO now, in 2018?? For me?, IT'S simply GO DAWGS!!! The brighter days? They absolutely lay ahead!!

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@mqg96 said:

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane, however this is a different capn driving the ship. You’re right, UF will be tough but they are not talented enough, nor will we be ill prepared to blow us out. Jordan Hare aside, I’m not thinking SEC teams blow us out. We will win these games. USCjr: 31-17. LSU: 20-17. UF: 21-10. Auburn: 34-20. Bama: 28-24

Florida has a lot of talent returning on both sides of the ball from their 2017 squad but Jim McWain could never use it. 2017 Florida was like 2012 Auburn IMO. If Florida makes a turnaround with Dan Mullen in 2018 it'll be similar to what Auburn did back in 2013. Even 2013 Mizzou after their mediocre campaign in 2012 too. You just never know what can happen in the SEC. Players can turnaround with their strength & conditioning and hard work over the off season.

Honestly, superstition and historical trends aside, South Carolina in Columbia, LSU in Death Valley, Florida in Jacksonville, and Tech in Athens are all very loseable games next season that will be very tough. It'll make things tougher for us than 2017 with all the seniors/NFL draft picks we just lost and the target that will be on our back (we're the haunted team now instead of the hunter), especially on the defensive side of the ball. Until we finally WIN the national championship and be a consistent contender on a year to year basis, we're no where near close to Alabama yet, the Miami of old, or the Notre Dame of old. Do people forget that we only beat South Carolina 24-10 in Athens last season while South Carolina with a bunch of injuries still went 9-4 and since we're playing them earlier in the year with all their turning starters, in COLUMBIA, that's going to be a brutal game for us. 2008 was our last win over South Carolina in Columbia on a Saturday afternoon/primetime. We got lucky in 2016 because the game was moved to Sunday so that worked in our favor.

The 2016 Falcons were ahead of schedule and they came out of no where and went to the Super Bowl, but the 2017 Falcons took a step with with the target on their back. Same thing is gonna happen to 2018 Georgia mark my word. I don't know what I'll be. It could be injuries. It could be the inconsistency of the young players. It could be the lack of execution. I don't know what it'll be, but I expect 2018 Georgia to escape a lot of games this year unlike 2017 Georgia who just ran away with all their games. I just got that funny feeling.

• Options

@christopherules said:
    This really is a GREAT thread, & all sides are presenting valid arguments to support each one their own side(s) of the crystal ball issue which is what we ALL WANT, & that is Georgia having some more SERIOUS success on the field of play. I have really enjoyed reading y'all's thoughts here. I for one am REALLY excited about the upcoming 2018 season. Like CKS said back in 2017, when he was asked if (due to the huge success of an 11-1 regular season, an SEC Championship, & a CFP birth) that was Georgia "here too early, & ahead of schedule?"... his response was so perfect to the media when posed with this question. Then he answered, (& I might NOT have this quote just perfect, but essentially it went like this) "There is no schedule, what you have on your team at that time?, that is what you have." "There is no timeline." SO now, in 2018?? For me?, IT'S simply GO DAWGS!!! The brighter days? They absolutely lay ahead!!

Well said, I love Kirby's thought process. I have to attend G-day this year. Haven't been since 2014 :neutral:

• Options

@mqg96 said:

@christopherules said:

Well said, I love Kirby's thought process. I have to attend G-day this year. Haven't been since 2014 :neutral:

Kirby's drive, reasoning and people skills are stellar. He has Saban's pluses without the midget syndrome complex.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mqg96 said:

Florida has a lot of talent returning on both sides of the ball from their 2017 squad...

Not really.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@mqg96 said:

Florida has a lot of talent returning on both sides of the ball from their 2017 squad...

Not really.

@JoelSidneyKelly , @mqg96

THIS IS REALLY FUNNY!!! I love both the original post, and the reply too!

PS- I can also easily see both sides of this argument. Florida actually does have "some" players (not nearly as many as Georgia does), & Florida also sucks too!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

not worried

Just cleaned my screen with Tito's......LOL!!!