Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Who should The Hawks take at #3 ?....

124»

Comments

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Out of all the players I could honestly see a bunch of second tier stars. I dont see a league leading scorer in this draft. I think Bagley is the better scorer but he has to pick up some weight. Gary Trent Jr may be Klay-esque. Trae Young reminds me of Kemba Walker. Luka Donic could be a better version of Exum/Smart. Wendall Carter a better scoring Tristan Thompson. Maybe if Porter can come back healthy he will be the top scoring guy. Honestly ATL should jist draft well this year and let players get experience (tank) and aim for one of the top 3 next season.

The guy Im rooting for is Sexton bevause of his work ethic and play. I also enjoy Grayson Allen and Troy Brown.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Out of all the players I could honestly see a bunch of second tier stars. I dont see a league leading scorer in this draft. I think Bagley is the better scorer but he has to pick up some weight. Gary Trent Jr may be Klay-esque. Trae Young reminds me of Kemba Walker. Luka Donic could be a better version of Exum/Smart. Wendall Carter a better scoring Tristan Thompson. Maybe if Porter can come back healthy he will be the top scoring guy. Honestly ATL should jist draft well this year and let players get experience (tank) and aim for one of the top 3 next season.

The guy Im rooting for is Sexton bevause of his work ethic and play. I also enjoy Grayson Allen and Troy Brown.

Bagley is already bigger and stronger than Kevin Durant. He moves well enough he can work his offensive game right away in my opinion.
    I think he has the potential to be among the top 5 scorers in the game.
    Young can and will be a big scorer, Ayton will be a 20 pt minimum scorer, maybe quite a bit more.
    This is not a second tier group, there is star potential.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Bagley is already bigger and stronger than Kevin Durant. He moves well enough he can work his offensive game right away in my opinion.
    Young can and will be a big scorer, Ayton will be a 20 pt minimum scorer, maybe quite a bit more.

Looking at big front court players in The NBA..

Anthony Davis - 28.1 pts 11.1 reb
    Lamarcus Aldridge - 23.1 pts 8.5 reb
    Joel Embiid - 22.9 pts 11reb
    K.A. Towns - 21.3 pts 12.3 reb
    I think Ayton is more gifted than any of those guys, with the possible exception of Davis.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

I think Ayton is more gifted than any of those guys, with the possible exception of Davis.

Anthony Davis was a sure fire #1. Embiid was projected #1 unti his foot injury surfaced. And Towns was also a sure fire #1. I would say all of those players are better than Ayton upon entering the league.

Im not taking away from the talent but GMs and Scouts have said these next two classes have great players but nobody seems to have star motivation (if that makes any sense to you)!

• Options

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Anthony Davis was a sure fire #1. Embiid was projected #1 unti his foot injury surfaced. And Towns was also a sure fire #1. I would say all of those players are better than Ayton upon entering the league.

Im not taking away from the talent but GMs and Scouts have said these next two classes have great players but nobody seems to have star motivation (if that makes any sense to you)!

The only one of those who equaled Ayton's rating of 101 is Davis.
    Gms and scouts are the reason most every team would take Ayton 1st in this, and MANY other drafts.

The only reserve I have is the way the NBA has moved away from a low post centric to a perimeter oriented game. Still, Ayton is a very good shooter from outside, he has no real weakness.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Gms and scouts are the reason most every team would take Ayton 1st in this, and MANY other drafts.

The only reserve I have is the way the NBA has moved away from a low post centric to a perimeter oriented game. Still, Ayton is a very good shooter from outside, he has no real weakness.

Also, you're simply incorrect about how this class is perceived by professionals.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Reeldawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    I know he puts a premium on defense though, and DS has been lazy in that area.

Good defense in the NBA is becoming a rarity.

@Reeldawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I think offense is the difference, not poor defense.
    The motion offenses favored today are designed to keep the ball moving and thus scoring at a quicker rate than eras where the ball was often fed to a center in the low post.
    Long mobile defenders are now more valuable than massive low post defenders of other eras.

If you want a statistic to show why mobile perimeter players have gained favor, 3 pt attempts have increased over 40% per game in the past 7 years after being fairly steady since the 1980s.
    This has devalued, the center position low post centric defense and back to the basket low post offense.
    The best way to get good perimeter shots is through 5 man motion.
    So these former ''tweeners'' are now the most important players on most teams.

It’s why Horford was so valuable for us.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Reeldawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Reeldawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I think offense is the difference, not poor defense.
    The motion offenses favored today are designed to keep the ball moving and thus scoring at a quicker rate than eras where the ball was often fed to a center in the low post.
    Long mobile defenders are now more valuable than massive low post defenders of other eras.

If you want a statistic to show why mobile perimeter players have gained favor, 3 pt attempts have increased over 40% per game in the past 7 years after being fairly steady since the 1980s.
    This has devalued, the center position low post centric defense and back to the basket low post offense.
    The best way to get good perimeter shots is through 5 man motion.
    So these former ''tweeners'' are now the most important players on most teams.

It’s why Horford was so valuable for us.

Yep, Budenholzer let the best players leave, often for nothing in return.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Just a basic google search will show the fact many aren't overly impressed with this draft class.
    Ayton has bad defense and may not fit in the current NBA. Bagley bad defense and short arms. Porter stock slipped medical worries. Knox stock slipped didnt show up on court. Bridges may just be Denzel Valentine. GMs are worried this is going to be like the 2013 draft.

I agree to disagree with you but from what Ive read and watched on these players I dont see many Superstars. Maybe a few grest role players but thats it.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Just a basic google search will show the fact many aren't overly impressed with this draft class.
    Ayton has bad defense and may not fit in the current NBA. Bagley bad defense and short arms. Porter stock slipped medical worries. Knox stock slipped didnt show up on court. Bridges may just be Denzel Valentine. GMs are worried this is going to be like the 2013 draft.

I agree to disagree with you but from what Ive read and watched on these players I dont see many Superstars. Maybe a few grest role players but thats it.

Experts are impressed, GMs, HCs, etc are impressed.
    You aren't likely to find reputable experts who share your view of these players.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:
    I will be interested to see where Trae Young goes. His play really dropped off the 2nd half of the year. I wouldn't be too quick to drop Schroeder. Perhaps the new coaching staff will be able to get his head aligned more effectively.

He’s a guaranteed lock to th knicks at 9

Maybe if he's still on the board at 9, but that is far from certain.

Ill bet you a dollar he’s on the board at 9. No one needs a point guard

It's on.
    The draft and rosters are both fluid . We could see trade ups, trade downs and players traded before or during the draft, Schroder is a candidate for relocation.

I owe you $1. Put it on my tab

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:
    I will be interested to see where Trae Young goes. His play really dropped off the 2nd half of the year. I wouldn't be too quick to drop Schroeder. Perhaps the new coaching staff will be able to get his head aligned more effectively.

He’s a guaranteed lock to th knicks at 9

Maybe if he's still on the board at 9, but that is far from certain.

Ill bet you a dollar he’s on the board at 9. No one needs a point guard

It's on.
    The draft and rosters are both fluid . We could see trade ups, trade downs and players traded before or during the draft, Schroder is a candidate for relocation.

I owe you $1. Put it on my tab

Done, here is the new balance.

Old balance. 14,000,000,000,000
    Newly added. 1
    New balance. 14,000,000,000,001

No hurry, just pay as you can.

• Options

FIRST OFF.... You may have been right about Jackson lol, wrong about Young, and as for the Ayton thing JZ Maslieh, DraftExpress, Jonathan Giovany, all doubt his offensive versatility, physicality, and defensive instincts or lack thereof.

But this is all summer league and I will save this point to commend you if you're right. But Bagley, Carter, and Sexton are my favorites right now based on where they went and what they'll be doing.

• Options

@Thelordjohnson said:
    FIRST OFF.... You may have been right about Jackson lol, wrong about Young, and as for the Ayton thing JZ Maslieh, DraftExpress, Jonathan Giovany, all doubt his offensive versatility, physicality, and defensive instincts or lack thereof.

But this is all summer league and I will save this point to commend you if you're right. But Bagley, Carter, and Sexton are my favorites right now based on where they went and what they'll be doing.

I doubt any team would have taken another player other than Ayton if they'd had the first pick.
    that said, The Hawks may regret not taking Jackson, he was my choice all along. As far as Young, let's not put too much stock in his first summer league game.