Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Who should The Hawks take at #3 ?....

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's assume Ayton goes 1st, because he will.
Of the rest either PG Luka Doncic, PF Marvin Bagley or PF/C Jaren Jackson will in all likelihood go 2nd.

My question is out of this group..

Luka Doncic
Marvin Bagley
Jaren Jackson.

Which should The Hawks take, and which would you take ?

It's a tough choice, Doncic has rare skills for a very big PG, Bagley will be among the most athletic and active bigs in the league and Jackson has superb defensive potential to go along with the ability to shoot from outside and finish with either hand.

Of course only 2 of those 3 will be available when The Hawks pick at 3, but we don't know which 2, so we'll include them all.

My pick as of now is Jackson. We know the new HC covets defense and JJ has All NBA 1st team defense like potential. Today's game also needs bigs who can shoot from outside and score with either hand, both of which Jackson shows ability at.

Comments

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

Bagley will be best player from this draft. He won’t be there at 3 though. So it’ll be Jackson.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Don’t rule out some trades here. Boston has some draft capital and extra guards they could trade to shake this up

• Options
    edited June 2018

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Bagley will be best player from this draft. He won’t be there at 3 though.

Many mocks have Doncic going #2, which of course would leave Bagley on the board.
    I think any of the 3 players I listed could end up going at 2.

If not for the back injury Michael Porter might have gone 2nd, he might make people regret not taking him, but the risks are too high to pass on other potentially great players.

• Options

Doncic is already floating out there he might stay. If Sacramento takes him you can be sure he’s gonna stay

• Options

I saw something that Donic was beginning to slide somewhat, ESPN talking head.

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg said:

For some reason group think seemed to set in immediately after the lottery drawing, Doncic went from being anywhere from 2nd to 6th on most boards to 2nd and most boards literally overnight. We seem to be getting back to where wee were prior to the drawing where opinions vary.

• Options

@Kasey said:
    Don’t rule out some trades here. Boston has some draft capital and extra guards they could trade to shake this up

It won't matter unless The Hawks are involved in a trade.
    Ayton is going to be the first player taken regardless of who has the pick.
    Personally I'm not 100% convinced he has the most value because The NBA is not the league it was when traditional centers dominated. He is SO RARE though, he will go #1.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Personally I'm not 100% convinced he has the most value because The NBA is not the league it was when traditional centers dominated. He is SO RARE though, he will go #1.

Probably will matter. Because if Boston comes in ahead of them it will affect who the hawks take

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

For some reason group think seemed to set in immediately after the lottery drawing, Doncic went from being anywhere from 2nd to 6th on most boards to 2nd and most boards literally overnight. We seem to be getting back to where wee were prior to the drawing where opinions vary.

So you DV something you’re essentially agreeing with, OK...

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Probably will matter. Because if Boston comes in ahead of them it will affect who the hawks take

Maybe, maybe not.
    Would Boston be more likely to pick a particular player than The Kings ?
    To me it's still basically the same draft as long as The Hawks stay at 3.

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

So you DV something you’re essentially agreeing with, OK...

I have no idea what your point is. what does DV stand for ?

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe, maybe so. I think if Boston came up to that 2 spot they could take any of the names on your list. They could take Doncic. They could take Bagley.

But I forgot...no one is allowed to offer a dissenting opinion without retribution

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Maybe, maybe not.
    Would Boston be more likely to pick a particular player th> @Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe, maybe so. I think if Boston came up to that 2 spot they could take any of the names on your list. They could take Doncic. They could take Bagley.

But I forgot...no one is allowed to offer a dissenting opinion without retribution

Stop with the pouting please.
    I just don't see your point.
    We would still have the same questions as we have now, unless we knew who Boston was trading up to take.
    Of course we could find out The Kings are targeting a particular player as well.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If performed well, this draft has potential to change the trajectory of the organization.

• Options

@bmauldin said:
    If performed well, this draft has potential to change the trajectory of the organization.

I agree.
    If they make the best choice at #3, then maybe trade Schroder and move up from 19th to take Trae Young, we could have the nucleus of a contender down the road.

• Options

Or if they make the type of blunder like Marvin Williams over chris Paul and deron Williams it will set them back another five years

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hawks need to keep tanking to get 3 first picks in the draft, so they can rebuild like the 76ers. The top 2 spending teams are in the finals, surprise surprise. I don’t see the Hawks ever being a top spending team until they get new ownership. NBA is pointless to watch as most could've guessed the final 4 teams and finals participants.

• Options

@Kasey said:
    Or if they make the type of blunder like Marvin Williams over chris Paul and deron Williams it will set them back another five years

Luckily Billy Knight isn’t in charge anymore...
    Would have loved to see what Danny Ferry could have done with this... of course he wouldn’t have let Milsap and Horford walk with nothing in return....

• Options

@Teddy said:
    Hawks need to keep tanking to get 3 first picks in the draft, so they can rebuild like the 76ers. The top 2 spending teams are in the finals, surprise surprise. I don’t see the Hawks ever being a top spending team until they get new ownership. NBA is pointless to watch as most could've guessed the final 4 teams and finals participants.

Hawks have an owner now that has deep pockets... I just don’t think he has the sports iq or surrounding himself with people that know how to operate an organization.