Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Who should The Hawks take at #3 ?....

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:
    I will be interested to see where Trae Young goes. His play really dropped off the 2nd half of the year. I wouldn't be too quick to drop Schroeder. Perhaps the new coaching staff will be able to get his head aligned more effectively.

He’s a guaranteed lock to th knicks at 9

Maybe if he's still on the board at 9, but that is far from certain.

Ill bet you a dollar he’s on the board at 9. No one needs a point guard

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:
    I will be interested to see where Trae Young goes. His play really dropped off the 2nd half of the year. I wouldn't be too quick to drop Schroeder. Perhaps the new coaching staff will be able to get his head aligned more effectively.

It's on.
    The draft and rosters are both fluid . We could see trade ups, trade downs and players traded before or during the draft, Schroder is a candidate for relocation.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

It's on.
    The draft and rosters are both fluid . We could see trade ups, trade downs and players traded before or during the draft, Schroder is a candidate for relocation.

I’ll take an American dollar or a Canadian dollar FYI

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

It's on.

I’ll take an American dollar or a Canadian dollar FYI

Sorry, I only carry Albanian coins.

• Options

Also, I think either Mikal or Miles Bridges from Michigan St. would be excellent candidates for The Hawks to move up from 19th and draft in the lower top 10.
    Oddly both are similar to Draymond Green,who also played for MSU.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:
    @WCDawg supposedly Grizzles woulda be the next team interested in Donic.
    Mo is longer than Jackson while yes Jackson had the better offensive upside but he disappeared in competive games. 8 points in the tournament. Plus Bamba has the personality of a Embiid and would help give a fave even if he never is a superstar he'd be a Deandre Jordan like role-player.

The fact Jackson tailed off late in the season is a concern, but he's the youngest player in this draft. He was sort of a hs senior last season.
    Bamba is longer, he'll be among the longest to ever play in The NBA, still.
    If you watch just his defense on videos Jackson is already a marvel, he will be a superb half court defender.

I get you. Im a Duke fan basketball wise and Carter and Bagley made him look goofy. As for the late picks if Atlanta wants to trust the process. Mitchell, Simmons, and Duval are all 5 star prospects that haven't fully developed.

• Options
    edited June 2018

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Mo is longer than Jackson while yes Jackson had the better offensive upside but he disappeared in competive games. 8 points in the tournament. Plus Bamba has the personality of a Embiid and would help give a fave even if he never is a superstar he'd be a Deandre Jordan like role-player.

The fact Jackson tailed off late in the season is a concern, but he's the youngest player in this draft. He was sort of a hs senior last season.
    If you watch just his defense on videos Jackson is already a marvel, he will be a superb half court defender.

I get you. Im a Duke fan basketball wise and Carter and Bagley made him look goofy. As for the late picks if Atlanta wants to trust the process. Mitchell, Simmons, and Duval are all 5 star prospects that haven't fully developed.

What ?
    Duke played MSU once last season. Bagley scored 4 pts and had 6 reb .Carter had 12 pts 12 reb, Jackson had 19 pts, 7 reb and 3 blks, he was 17 years old at the time.

Still, most of Bagley's best games came against the best teams Duke played, that is a very good sign.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if the new coach wants to keep Dennis, or ship em

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I wonder if the new coach wants to keep Dennis, or ship em

If he's mentioned Schroder I haven't heard about it.
    I know he puts a premium on defense though, and DS has been lazy in that area.

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

@WCDawg said:

Good defense in the NBA is becoming a rarity.

• Options
    nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm sorry fellas, but the Hawks nor Falcons not have a clue on how to win a championship. I've given up on the hawks. The Falcons, IMO, will never win with Matt Ryan...

• Options
    edited June 2018

@Reeldawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Reeldawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I think offense is the difference, not poor defense.
    The motion offenses favored today are designed to keep the ball moving and thus scoring at a quicker rate than eras where the ball was often fed to a center in the low post.
    Long mobile defenders are now more valuable than massive low post defenders of other eras.

• Options
    edited June 2018

@WCDawg said:

@Reeldawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Reeldawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I think offense is the difference, not poor defense.
    The motion offenses favored today are designed to keep the ball moving and thus scoring at a quicker rate than eras where the ball was often fed to a center in the low post.
    Long mobile defenders are now more valuable than massive low post defenders of other eras.

If you want a statistic to show why mobile perimeter players have gained favor, 3 pt attempts have increased over 40% per game in the past 7 years after being fairly steady since the 1980s.
    This has devalued, the center position low post centric defense and back to the basket low post offense.
    The best way to get good perimeter shots is through 5 man motion.
    So these former ''tweeners'' are now the most important players on most teams.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

What ?
    Duke played MSU once last season. Bagley scored 4 pts and had 6 reb .Carter had 12 pts 12 reb, Jackson had 19 pts, 7 reb and 3 blks, he was 17 years old at the time.

Still, most of Bagley's best games came against the best teams Duke played, that is a very good sign.

Just looking at the stats isnt enough. Bagley and Carter got in bad foul trouble. Jackson had a good statistic game but looked behind and Bagley though not as young skipped his senior year. If Bagley is there he's the obvious candidate. A guy I havent seen much talk of is maybe Porter *if his medical checks out.

I dont think there are any game changers in this draft like last years but there will be grear role players and second pieces throughout.

• Options
    edited June 2018

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

What ?

Just looking at the stats isnt enough. Bagley and Carter got in bad foul trouble. Jackson had a good statistic game but looked behind and Bagley though not as young skipped his senior year. If Bagley is there he's the obvious candidate. A guy I havent seen much talk of is maybe Porter *if his medical checks out.

I dont think there are any game changers in this draft like last years but there will be grear role players and second pieces throughout.

Sorry, but Bagley did not make Jackson or anybody else look silly against MSU, he had 4 pts, JJ had 19 pts 7 boards and 3 blks.
    There are quite a few games against top opponents where Bagley was at his best, but he wasn't a factor in the MSU game.

I really think this is a superior draft field to last year's, and there are several potential franchise players.

The players who could anchor a team..

Bagley
    Jackson
    Ayton
    Porter
    Doncic
    Young
    Bamba ( defensive anchor)

There isn't a Lebron in there, but there may well be top 10 in the league players.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

What ?

Sorry, but Bagley did not make Jackson or anybody else look silly against MSU, he had 4 pts, JJ had 19 pts 7 boards and 3 blks.
    There are quite a few games against top opponents where Bagley was at his best, but he wasn't a factor in the MSU game.

• Options

I saw a discussion about the possibility Phoenix might trade the rights to the top pick to Atlanta with The Hawks giving up the #3 pick in this draft and the 1st rd pick they get from Cleveland next year.
    The Hawks would take Ayton and The Suns would take Doncic.

• Options
    edited June 2018

I'm just pondering now.
    I posed the question ( to my own bad self) of which, if any players in this draft might someday lead the NBA in scoring while also averaging 10 reb.
    There are only 2 possibilities,
    1. Bagley
    2. Ayton

When I look at NBA stats that is a combo where top stars often merge.
    Does that make them a cinch to be more valuable to a team than a player like Doncic, or even Jackson ? I'd say no, but it is an elite combination of contributions.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    I'm just pondering now.
    I posed the question ( to my own bad self) of which, if any players in this draft might someday lead the NBA in scoring while also averaging 10 reb.
    1. Bagley
    2. Ayton

Does that make them a cinch to be more valuable to a team than a player like Doncic, or even Jackson ? I'd say no, but it is an elite combination of contributions.

your point is well taken about the combo and all. I don't think, however, that Bagley is the type to lead the NBA in scoring. For sure he could be a 10+ rebound guy.

• Options
    edited June 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    I'm just pondering now.
    1. Bagley
    2. Ayton

your point is well taken about the combo and all. I don't think, however, that Bagley is the type to lead the NBA in scoring. For sure he could be a 10+ rebound guy.

What I'm looking at with Bagley scoring wise is he put 30+ points up against Duke's toughest opponents. Most of his best games came against top 10 teams. All he lacks is arm length when I look at how his game might translate to The NBA. He won't be a top defensive player, that is a big negative in my book.

Ayton has the misfortune of coming along in the wrong era. He has Olajuwan like gifts, but it's not a low post centric league now.