Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What Braves should do now...

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@RDDawg said:
    Another year of hoping a has been has one more year left in him. He had a good first half last year and fell off tremendously in the second half of the season. I miss Ted Turner and his money.

Markakis is not a has been, far from it. Break down most any season by any player and you'll see they have ebbs and surges. It's a 162 game season, every game counts, so helping win games in June counts just like winning games in Sep.

This gets missed so often in sports when people talk about being clutch. The games really only matter more in the playoffs.

Correct. The games in which Markakis was a liability counted just as much as when he was benefitting from Albies in April and May. One caveat was that the team needed to be peaking in September. To that effect, Markakis was not a positive.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@RDDawg said:
    Another year of hoping a has been has one more year left in him. He had a good first half last year and fell off tremendously in the second half of the season. I miss Ted Turner and his money.

Markakis is not a has been, far from it. Break down most any season by any player and you'll see they have ebbs and surges. It's a 162 game season, every game counts, so helping win games in June counts just like winning games in Sep.

This gets missed so often in sports when people talk about being clutch. The games really only matter more in the playoffs.

Exactly, a win is a win in the regular season. The total value of contributions in the regular season and producing in the post-season is net value. An exception is a player who has a few huge games where he tacks on unneeded runs, then goes long periods of low production, but that isn't Markakis.

edited January 2019

@Bankwalker said:
    Markakis hit .323 pre-all star and .258 post. .234 in his last 30 games. 62 vs 31 RBIs before and after the break.

His .323 ba before the break was a career best by 15 points. He hit .308 before the break in 2010 and .301 in 2008. He had a CAREER first half last season, and then became a liability. It was more than “ebbs and flows”.

Let’s hope our young guys can protect him at the plate by getting on base. Albies was the key to Markakis getting off to a fast start last season. An uninspiring, if not disappointing signing. The money was the key. Probably still looking for OF help. At $4 mil Markakis can be a good bench piece if someone else is found near the deadline.

Average vs OBP, OBP gives a better picture of value. A single has slightly more value than a walk because it can bring in a runner from 2nd or 3rd, but getting on base and avoiding an out is critical in a game of outs and bases.

edited January 2019

@Bankwalker said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@RDDawg said:

Correct. The games in which Markakis was a liability counted just as much as when he was benefitting from Albies in April and May. One caveat was that the team needed to be peaking in September. To that effect, Markakis was not a positive.

Albies had a much lower OBP than Markakis.

Markakis 1st half - .389 OBP
    Albies 1st half - .318 OBP

Markakis 2nd half - .332 OBP
    Albies 2nd half - .282 OBP

Markakis was easily the better hitter all season.

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:
    Markakis hit .323 pre-all star and .258 post. .234 in his last 30 games. 62 vs 31 RBIs before and after the break.

His .323 ba before the break was a career best by 15 points. He hit .308 before the break in 2010 and .301 in 2008. He had a CAREER first half last season, and then became a liability. It was more than “ebbs and flows”.

Let’s hope our young guys can protect him at the plate by getting on base. Albies was the key to Markakis getting off to a fast start last season. An uninspiring, if not disappointing signing. The money was the key. Probably still looking for OF help. At $4 mil Markakis can be a good bench piece if someone else is found near the deadline.

Average vs OBP, OBP gives a better picture of value. A single has slightly more value than a walk because it can bring in a runner from 2nd or 3rd, but getting on base and avoiding an out is critical in a game of outs and bases.

I disagree but for humors sake:

His OBP after the break was lower than his OBP for every year in his career except for 2013. Dont try to claim .332 is a good OBP. It’s not even Top 50 in the NL. If you sort for just OFs after the break, his .332 obp was 34th in just the National League among only OFers. That’s “Has Been” territory if ever there was one.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I doubt the team sees a $4 million signing as the solution to RF. They see it as a piece. They have flexibility to make other moves either now or during the season as things pan out and are not saddled with a big salary or a problem in the clubhouse. This move I will guarantee was seen as a positive by everyone on the team.

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

His OBP after the break was lower than his OBP for every year in his career except for 2013. Dont try to claim .332 is a good OBP. It’s not even Top 50 in the NL. If you sort for just OFs after the break, his .332 obp was 34th in just the National League among only OFers. That’s “Has Been” territory if ever there was one.

I haven't checked every season, but Nick's OBP in 2016 was .328 pre All Star break, .370 post All Star break, so you're off at least 1 season.

edited January 2019

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

I haven't checked every season, but Nick's OBP in 2016 was .328 pre All Star break, .370 post All Star break, so you're off at least 1 season.

Comparing his after break lastt season to the entire year the other years of his career. Maybe not true apples to apples but you know...time is an issue.

edited January 2019

@TNDawg71 said:
    I doubt the team sees a $4 million signing as the solution to RF. They see it as a piece. They have flexibility to make other moves either now or during the season as things pan out and are not saddled with a big salary or a problem in the clubhouse. This move I will guarantee was seen as a positive by everyone on the team.

Nick is probably the solution in 2019, if he's healthy. There's good reason 2020 is a team option, he's 35 years old and we have young prospects in the out field, 1 or more could be ready in a year.

Camargo might could play some in RF, but he'll be valuable as a utility infielder.
    I do hate Camargo won't have an every day position though, he played very well both defensively and as a hitter last season. Then again, he might take Swanson's starting job away from him.

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Comparing his after break lastt season to the entire year the other years of his career. Maybe not true apples to apples but you know...time is an issue.

Time might be an issue by 2020, then again it might not be.
    Nick has been very durable over the past 5 years, he has a really solid approach to hitting and he has an extremely solid build. At some point age will become a factor, just when that might be is unknown.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

I still don’t know why you’re so caught up on single stats like OBP. What happened to you saying OPS was the best metric? Iirc you took that stance last time we visited markakis.

Nick was awesome first half last year, and not good second half. Frankly he hasn’t put up 2 WAR in 3/5 of his last seasons and hasn’t put up over 3 WAR since like 2016. I think I buy him as being something like 1-2 if he is healthy all year, but that’s still not great. This is probably something @Bankwalker would agree with from what I read. I buy into him being closer to 2nd half nick than 1st half nick this year.

The 6M to me is cheap enough to where it isn’t a bad deal financially. But the opportunity cost of potentially giving 130 starts to a below average player is huge. Like 2-3 wins huge. COF and catcher were the only two realistic spots we could upgrade our offense, and we got 2 old guys who are below average players in McCann and nick.

As I said earlier, love the Donaldson move. It probably didn’t improve us a ton because we had camargo, but good teams need good depth and camargo has always seemed like a candidate to be a utility infielder and Donaldson is a good candidate to be a stud. But that move doesn’t make any sense to me in the context that we regress at catcher and COF, and don’t add any front line starters.

I’m really really hoping we aren’t done yet this off season, our window is now and if you don’t supplant your core with above average players you potentially never win anything significant.

edited January 2019

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

I still don’t know why you’re so caught up on single stats like OBP. What happened to you saying OPS was the best metric? Iirc you took that stance last time we visited markakis.

Nick was awesome first half last year, and not good second half. Frankly he hasn’t put up 2 WAR in 3/5 of his last seasons and hasn’t put up over 3 WAR since like 2016. I think I buy him as being something like 1-2 if he is healthy all year, but that’s still not great. This is probably something @Bankwalker would agree with from what I read. I buy into him being closer to 2nd half nick than 1st half nick this year.

The 6M to me is cheap enough to where it isn’t a bad deal financially. But the opportunity cost of potentially giving 130 starts to a below average player is huge. Like 2-3 wins huge. COF and catcher were the only two realistic spots we could upgrade our offense, and we got 2 old guys who are below average players in McCann and nick.

As I said earlier, love the Donaldson move. It probably didn’t improve us a ton because we had camargo, but good teams need good depth and camargo has always seemed like a candidate to be a utility infielder and Donaldson is a good candidate to be a stud. But that move doesn’t make any sense to me in the context that we regress at catcher and COF, and don’t add any front line starters.

I’m really really hoping we aren’t done yet this off season, our window is now and if you don’t supplant your core with above average players you potentially never win anything significant.

OPS is the best measure of key positions in the line up, and it's the best measure of your best hitters.
    OBP is a great measure of whether a player meets a necessity though. You need people on base up and down the lineup. Otherwise there are too many outs and too few base runners. It's the lone absolute essential.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

OPS is the best measure of key positions in the line up, and it's the best measure of your best hitters.
    OBP is a great measure of necessity though. You need people on base up and down the lineup. Otherwise there are too many outs and too few base runners. It's the lone absolute essential.

Well I disagree that OBP is an absolute essential. I do agree it is really important, but you can 100% have a below average OBP and be an above average hitter. For instance Joey gallo had a .312 OBP last year and produced about the same amount of runs as Markakis (nicks 114 WRC+ to gallos 110 wrc+). The difference is gallo hit 40 homers.

I get that you’re partial to OBP and I think I am as well. Baseball is more fun to watch with a high OBP lineup. But when you use OBP you ignore power numbers, defense, positional value (ss hitting is valued higher than COF hitting for example), and base running. It’s just not a complete measure of a player.

edited January 2019

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

OBP is a great measure of necessity though. You need people on base up and down the lineup. Otherwise there are too many outs and too few base runners. It's the lone absolute essential.

Well I disagree that OBP is an absolute essential. I do agree it is really important, but you can 100% have a below average OBP and be an above average hitter. For instance Joey gallo had a .312 OBP last year and produced about the same amount of runs as Markakis (nicks 114 WRC+ to gallos 110 wrc+). The difference is gallo hit 40 homers.

I get that you’re partial to OBP and I think I am as well. Baseball is more fun to watch with a high OBP lineup. But when you use OBP you ignore power numbers, defense, positional value (ss hitting is valued higher than COF hitting for example), and base running. It’s just not a complete measure of a player.

You can have a #4 hitter with excellent power who has a fairly low OBP with good OBP hitters in front of him, though it wouldn't be ideal. You can't have a lineup with a lot of low OBP hitters and have a good offense though. You can have a team loaded with high OBP hitters with no bashers like The 90s Yankees had and have a great offense though.

• DawgforeverDawgforever Posts: 291 ✭✭✭ Junior

Markakis isn't a weak link though so I'm not upset about that one. Starting pitching has been our Achilles heel