Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Braves should do now...

Comments

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CTDawg said:
    Great news in my opinion. Clubhouse leader, big part of our 2018 chemistry, and hopefully he can give 80% of what he gave us last year. The rest of the money needs to go to a pitcher, and it better be a good one. I've got my eye on Corey Kluber.

I'd love Kluber, but there are several ways they can improve he club. Th young pitching has to continue to improve for the club to improve though.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Braves ought to be fun to watch again this coming spring and summer. That season getting going again, is yet one more step towards getting ever closer to the beginning of another college football season is on it’s way.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

@Kirbstomper said:
    They signed Markakis to a 1 year 6M deal just now. I'm on record as not being a big fan of him, I'm really hoping he is more for OF depth than them planning on starting him. The contract would indicate nobody is expecting much out of him this year.

This is a great deal. Even if he declines and is a part time player and pinch hitter this is a great deal. They love him in the clubhouse, even though he hardly talks.

Asdrubal Cabrera just got even less for being a slightly better, slightly younger player. Nick may be a more valuable bench piece because of his bat, idk. I'm incredibly disappointed in their off season so far. Frankly Nick isn't going to be more than a fringe average player, Mccan is worse than Suzuki, the way things look as of now Julio may actually make our opening day starting rotation. Love the Donaldson move, but they haven't done nearly enough.

If you don't add legitimate good MLB baseball players to this team, they'll have close to 0 chance of winning the WS. We have a little money left and tons of prospect capital. Use it please. Meanwhile we have one less year of control over all our young guys, Freeman is one year older, etc. The window is now and the front office is acting like they are still rebuilding with these retread signings.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like a great deal for the Braves, especially considering it’s only for 1 year. Markakis is coming off a season in which he won a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger Award. At this price, it won’t hurt the Braves if he does all of a sudden lose it and has to be benched. If nothing else, Markakis will be a great clubhouse presence and a solid bat off the bench. Can’t wait for the season to start.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said to sign him months back for around this price, some others were willing to give up 10-12 million/yr. Can I be GM now? I'll do it for half of Anthopoulos' salary.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    I said to sign him months back for around this price, some others were willing to give up 10-12 million/yr. Can I be GM now? I'll do it for half of Anthopoulos' salary.

Apparently, from the ideas on this thread, you may have to stand in line for your turn. Lots of geniuses lining up. Not sure the Braves hired their current GM. Could have done better by taking one of the resident geniuses on this forum.

• Options

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

Apparently, from the ideas on this thread, you may have to stand in line for your turn. Lots of geniuses lining up. Not sure the Braves hired their current GM. Could have done better by taking one of the resident geniuses on this forum.

Almost as many baseball GMs on here as Offensive Coordinators and D-line coaches, eh? #FireTrayScott

• Options
    DawgforeverDawgforever Posts: 291 ✭✭✭ Junior

I heard on a talk radio show that the Phillies wanted Kluber, kimbrel and Harper. I'd take all three of them in a minute. 1. To keep them away from the Phillies and 2. We need a veteran starter, complete closer and serious bat

• Options
    DawgforeverDawgforever Posts: 291 ✭✭✭ Junior

Or Dallas Keuchel

• Options

@Dawgforever said:
    I heard on a talk radio show that the Phillies wanted Kluber, kimbrel and Harper. I'd take all three of them in a minute. 1. To keep them away from the Phillies and 2. We need a veteran starter, complete closer and serious bat

Doubt the Braves spend that kind of money. Getting one of them would be nice. Poor team probs.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@TMazz2009 said:
    Still need relief pitching....

Lineup looks good....really good even. Will miss Suzuki....he was a solid hitter as a back up catcher and pinch hitter. Need to fill that hole cause Lord knows you need a capable bat on the bench in the National League.

Starting pitching is young. Some growing pains there but we gotta get some bullpen help or it will be tough to beat those elite 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs.

But this team is fun to watch. That's half the battle is fielding and exciting product. Something the Hawks need to figure out. Get RJ or Zion and people will come.

Suzuki was invaluable IMO. Clutch hitting, decent defense and great team guy. Sad to see him go.

McCann is back, I'm not sure if it's a push, but he'll help.

Probably a push with Mc, I wanted them to land solid catcher with a strong, accurate arm. Get tired of watching the bases get swiped over and over.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

Markakis is severely underrated.

Gold Glove
    .297 batting average
    93 RBIs

He also played High School Ball in ATL......

He just goes about it in a workmanlike fashion. He’s not fast, he’s not “cool”, but dude can rake.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@TMazz2009 said:
    Still need relief pitching....

Lineup looks good....really good even. Will miss Suzuki....he was a solid hitter as a back up catcher and pinch hitter. Need to fill that hole cause Lord knows you need a capable bat on the bench in the National League.

Starting pitching is young. Some growing pains there but we gotta get some bullpen help or it will be tough to beat those elite 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs.

But this team is fun to watch. That's half the battle is fielding and exciting product. Something the Hawks need to figure out. Get RJ or Zion and people will come.

Suzuki was invaluable IMO. Clutch hitting, decent defense and great team guy. Sad to see him go.

McCann is back, I'm not sure if it's a push, but he'll help.

Probably a push with Mc, I wanted them to land solid catcher with a strong, accurate arm. Get tired of watching the bases get swiped over and over.

mac's #s weren't all that great last year - not as good as Suzuki's. I think we are going to miss Kurt.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@Kirbstomper said:
    They signed Markakis to a 1 year 6M deal just now. I'm on record as not being a big fan of him, I'm really hoping he is more for OF depth than them planning on starting him. The contract would indicate nobody is expecting much out of him this year.

This will prove to be a key move, if he stays relatively healthy of course.
    WAR is flawed in it's under valuing OBP. I look in context to a lineup. Fill every spot with high on base percentage hitters with some power, you'll score a lot of runs. I think Nick's average OBP over his 4 seasons with The Braves is around 20th in MLB. Not an average if you just look season per season, it's a bit more subtle. Every year different players occupy spots, but Nick is consistent, which raises his average above most players.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

WAR is flawed in it's under valuing OBP. I look in context to a lineup. Fill every spot with high on base percentage hitters with some power, you'll score a lot of runs. I think Nick's average OBP over his 4 seasons with The Braves is around 20th in MLB. Not an average if you just look season per season, it's a bit more subtle. Every year different players occupy spots, but Nick is consistent, which raises his average above most players.

Agreed. WAR and WRC+ are nice in some respects but OBP trumps for me. Not to go all Moneyball on everyone but the most important thing a hitter can do is to not make an out, in most situations that is (love me a nice SAC bunt every now and then).

Call me a homer but I still think the Braves end up with Realmuto. JT has told the Marlins already that he isn't going to resign. AA has been playing the long game with trades and signings. He couldn't have gotten Kakes for just 1 yr @ 4 mill 1-2 months ago. I think there are one or two moves still coming.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

Agreed. WAR and WRC+ are nice in some respects but OBP trumps for me. Not to go all Moneyball on everyone but the most important thing a hitter can do is to not make an out, in most situations that is (love me a nice SAC bunt every now and then).

Call me a homer but I still think the Braves end up with Realmuto. JT has told the Marlins already that he isn't going to resign. AA has been playing the long game with trades and signings. He couldn't have gotten Kakes for just 1 yr @ 4 mill 1-2 months ago. I think there are one or two moves still coming.

Realmuto would be my second best get after Kluber. Then Kimbrel

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@PTDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

You need a few bashers in the line up, but if everybody else is getting on base at a high rate, the team will score a lot and be very tough for even top pitchers to handle. Those Yankees teams of the 90s didn't have any 40 HR guys, some seasons they didn't have 30 hr guys. What they had was a group of high OBP hitters who had great bat control and worked counts.

Edit. The 1998 Yankees that won 114 games and The World Series didn't have a single 30 HR hitter. What they did have is 6 guys with 20 HRs and EVERY regular had at least a .350 OBP.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The early 90s Braves teams didnt have bashers, either. TP and Sid Bream were their lead guys, and we played small ball with Nixon and Sanders. I enjoyed those teams much more than the later days when Cox loaded the lineup and played for the long ball.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

@PTDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

Realmuto would be my second best get after Kluber. Then Kimbrel

Can I be greedy and just say bring all 3??